Discipline (and lack of it)

General fruit machine related chat, if it doesn't fit another category discuss it here..
Texas Pete

Discipline (and lack of it)

Post by Texas Pete »

Picture the scene if you will.....

(swirly images and harp music dissolve to traditional pub scene..... :D )

You are playing a Red (for arguements sake we'll use DNA), and the m/c is playing reasonably well, but not brilliant. A couple of number runners with no way of getting at the sevens, and a few 'multi red exchange' boards that don't lead anywhere.

As your money starts to get eaten progressively quicker, and the boards become less & less forgiving, it dawns on you that you've probably caught the arse-end of a streak. My question is, at what stage (if at all) would you bail out?

Having pushed £30-£40 quid through it and not seen the results that you expected, would you have the discipline to cut your losses and walk, or would you just press on in the hope of getting a quick steal and recouping some cash? I found myself in this situation earlier, and true to form I just pressed on, suffering a pretty hefty loss in the end. I'll be back there after work to try and recoup of course, but I can't help thinking I should have recognised the tell-tale signs and just walked with a £30 loss. Ultimately it practically wiped out my weekend's profits in 1 hour, so frustrating!

Obviously discipline on Red's is vital, possibly more so than for other manu's, but once I've taken a fair-sized loss on a single machine (especially after seeing promising signs) I seem to struggle deciding when to call it a day. Anyone else get this, or have any useful techniques for avoiding costly lapses of discipline?
spa

Post by spa »

I have been there but with a Sec16 machine, Random Monopoly. Put my £50 and the £50 I was up in with no feature! Off to the cash point and drew out £100. £40 and still nothing. I got the hell out of the place gutted :(

I used to play them often just for 1 feature. You'd normally get one for £50 max, have had loads 1st £2 but it only takes 1 time, haven't played one since which is a good thing suppose :)
Istenem

Re: Discipline (and lack of it)

Post by Istenem »

Texas Pete wrote: I'll be back there after work to try and recoup of course, but I can't help thinking I should have recognised the tell-tale signs and just walked with a £30 loss.
is it a good idea to go back? you'll feel 20x worse if some shark is at it right now winning.
dunno how much you lost but there is no point throwing good money after bad. sometimes you just have to cut your losses and walk away.
nobody ever wins on those things.
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Well said UP (you're not my dad are you?)...

If it was at the end of its streak, then it'll take hundreds and hundreds of pounds before the next streak. You've no idea who is playing it at the moment, so you've no idea how much money (if any) it is paying out. The best you can hope for is perhaps a quick jackpot, but if you know that it isn't going to streak, is there really any point in playing it?

Let's not forget about Red's propensity for taking £30 without so much as a sniff of a board, which I'm sure could happen if it's just paid out a big wad.

One last thing... what machine were you playing if it wasn't DNA? Are you being secretive about it? What's the opposite of an emptier? A filler?

(I used to know loads of cracking fillers. £100 in an hour easy... most of them still work. PM me for more details)
Nixxy

Post by Nixxy »

SteveV2 wrote:I have been there but with a Sec16 machine, Random Monopoly. Put my £50 and the £50 I was up in with no feature! Off to the cash point and drew out £100. £40 and still nothing. I got the hell out of the place gutted :(

I used to play them often just for 1 feature. You'd normally get one for £50 max, have had loads 1st £2 but it only takes 1 time, haven't played one since which is a good thing suppose :)
I'm so glad I've never played a S16 with real money. If anyone doesn't understand how quickly you can lose money on these things, tune into Sky Sports 1 and press the red button, and you can play the Elvis S16 for free. Set it to £4 a line/£80-per-spin and you can blow several grand in the space of 10 minutes.

SteveV2 - you showed excellent discipline in running away!
This machine may at times offer a choice where the player has every chance of bankruptcy
king_conspiracy

Post by king_conspiracy »

"I have been there but with a Sec16 machine, Random Monopoly. Put my £50 and the £50 I was up in with no feature! Off to the cash point and drew out £100. £40 and still nothing. I got the hell out of the place gutted"

No offense here, but your were suprised at putting £90 in a S16 with no feature or reasonable pay out? Suprised?!?!
Steve these things at my local arcade EAT money for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I saw an Indian lad put 2 and half THOUSAND pounds, yes thats £2,500.00
in a random monopoly and the most he got was a £60 reel win.

My advice, stay off S16...A reliable profit CANNOT be made on them. And the losses are 10 times worse than those on £25 JP machines. Its really bad if i lose a ton in a day on £25 JP machines, whereas regular S16 players lose £100+ daily. Most of the s16 players i know where as down as I am in my entire fruity playing history (3 years) IN A MONTH!

Rant over,

King.
Texas Pete

Post by Texas Pete »

Well against my better judgement I did return to the scene of the crime, and stuck another £20 in for a £50 top (with a tenner for dessert), so a partial recoup was made.....

....until I stumbled across an X Rated that is, but let's not go there shall we! Just a crap days playing really, I'm sure we all have them from time to time. :?

Incidentally it was a Hex I was playing (DNA clone), so no real secrecy there, just didn't think everyone would be familiar with it (test?), and as for 'fillers' I know plenty! Bully's Prize Board and Chav It being fine recent examples.

I'd agree strongly about the S16s, I've done a few hundred quid in them on a couple of occasions (although not recently, I've banned myself for life!). They truly are the most risky and horribly addictive machines, on one occasion I made 3 seperate trips to the bank (£100 each time), and I started with quite a lot as well. This is obviously peanuts compared to some of the horror stories I've heard, and against all odds I actually left the place only about £30 down, but it was still a bit close to the realm of 'crazy gambling' for my liking - logic and reasoning just went completely out the window!

Anyone with even the slightest addictive personality or compulsive gambling tendancies should stay as far away from these things as possible, they will literally eat you alive.
spa

Post by spa »

Maybe nixxy, still drew out money. Should have just walked after losing the ton.

I did leave fast though, didn't want to hang around to see someone go on it, been there and done that before lol
spa

Post by spa »

king_conspiracy wrote:"I have been there but with a Sec16 machine, Random Monopoly. Put my £50 and the £50 I was up in with no feature! Off to the cash point and drew out £100. £40 and still nothing. I got the hell out of the place gutted"

No offense here, but your were suprised at putting £90 in a S16 with no feature or reasonable pay out? Suprised?!?!
Steve these things at my local arcade EAT money for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I saw an Indian lad put 2 and half THOUSAND pounds, yes thats £2,500.00
in a random monopoly and the most he got was a £60 reel win.

My advice, stay off S16...A reliable profit CANNOT be made on them. And the losses are 10 times worse than those on £25 JP machines. Its really bad if i lose a ton in a day on £25 JP machines, whereas regular S16 players lose £100+ daily. Most of the s16 players i know where as down as I am in my entire fruity playing history (3 years) IN A MONTH!

Rant over,

King.
Ahh yes, they are random, we all know that but they still achive %age over a period of time, something to do with the amount of RN and what they are worth etc. £20 turned to £40, to £60. The question is, if you had put £60 with no feature, would you have just left it? Still nothing after £100? Bet you say yes haha.

But you live and learn, it's been a good month now and i've only tried £1 here, £1 there (on 10 lines only), never again will I pull up a chair and feed a £20 in, those days are gone :)