Wetherspoons

General fruit machine related chat, if it doesn't fit another category discuss it here..
DJJamesMtn

Wetherspoons

Post by DJJamesMtn »

Went into my local Spoons today for lunch as I was passing. Now I'm what you lot would probably call a casual player (hello to whoever was on the Monops BTW) and don't really have a desire (or, more to the point the starting funds) to "go pro." But I fancied a quick pre-food turn on the Alien in the corner. No harm in that, is there?

Ordered a coke with a £20 and asked for the change in 1's. Now I've worked in pubs before and been happy to do this. "Is it for the bandit?" she asked. I said it was, and therefore she would only give me the difference of the coke and £10, giving me a note for the other tenner. Apparently this is "the safe thing to do."

Anyway, never seen that one happen before, so I wondered if any of you pro lot have trouble with Spoons?

I lost £20 on the Alien BTW... like I said, a casual so wasn't prepared to get knees-deep involved.
Captain.Tattybojangles

Post by Captain.Tattybojangles »

Safe thing to do? Those machines have note acceptors on them. Much safer I say having a handful of pounds than being able to shovel notes in. Also more pounds in means less chance of the machine going empty.
silent g

Re: Wetherspoons

Post by silent g »

DJJamesMtn wrote: so I wondered if any of you pro lot have trouble with Spoons?

"pro's" have change before they go in.
condoms... ribbed for her pleasure! turn it inside out and its ribbed for my pleasure :)
steveseagull

Post by steveseagull »

dj, i reckon they were just short of change behind the bar fella.
In Gustavo Augusto Poyet Dominguez we trust.
DJJamesMtn

Post by DJJamesMtn »

silent g wrote:

I'm in no doubt. Like I said, I'm a casual, like the odd cheeky punt here and there but I also happen to take an interest in fruities.

The woman also seemed genuinely unimpressed that I was going to play the bandit... she obviously felt I was taking the piss a bit but end of the day, if you don't want people playing them, don't have them in.

She also did a very good job of fucking up my food order, something which almost seemed on-purpose. This is after I realised the machine was burnt and wasn't going to spend any more money on it.
trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

like g sais ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, most of us full timers carry a 200 + float ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so rare any of us asks for change .

however ,,,,,, this can work against us too ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, a city centre arcade called holland pk here in leicester barred me for never asking for change ,,,,,,, wtf ???

they said they couldn't monitor weather i was winning or losing because i never asked for change or used the change machine , when i said that i would from now , they said no its too late for that ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, your barred ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Little discipline = BIG issue

DJJamesMtn

Post by DJJamesMtn »

Pub staff getting arsey if you rape their bandits, I can understand. To a point, at least.

Pubs are mainly for drinking and the bandit is seen as a bit of fun for the drinking customers.

But when you go into an arcade where the idea is you play machines and that sort of shit goes down, seriously, the fuck? Run an arcade, your gonna get your machines rinsed once in a while. Don't like it? Don't run an arcade then, sweetheart.
betchrider

Post by betchrider »

Is it me or are all spoons going "non bubble"?
The Duke of betchington Betchrider
bowie

Post by bowie »

Pubs are mainly for drinking and the bandit is seen as a bit of fun for the drinking customers.
This statement is wrong, machine income is a large part of a pubs income.
Nixxy

Post by Nixxy »

bowie wrote:
Correct, especially with regard to Wetherspoons, where the machine takings represent a huge chunk of the annual turnover. Smaller pubs with, shall we say - "less informed landlords", don't fully understand what they're getting in return for their £774.50 licence fee (or whatever the latest rate is) investment. If they really understood it they'd be giving us far less heat.
This machine may at times offer a choice where the player has every chance of bankruptcy
trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

is that fee per licence ,,,,,,,,,, or per machine ?
Little discipline = BIG issue

DJJamesMtn

Post by DJJamesMtn »

Nixxy wrote:
bowie wrote:
Correct, especially with regard to Wetherspoons, where the machine takings represent a huge chunk of the annual turnover. Smaller pubs with, shall we say - "less informed landlords", don't fully understand what they're getting in return for their £774.50 licence fee (or whatever the latest rate is) investment. If they really understood it they'd be giving us far less heat.
OK. Didn't phrase that one well.

But the casual player will probably happily take a £7 win off a £3 stake. £3 of that £4 profit will almost definitely go towards a pint in said pub.

The professional would not, shall we say, "re-invest" in the good stuff, simply because they're dealing in much larger numbers.

Basically, the casual is there primarily to get shitfaced, the pro is there to rape the machine. And fair play to both groups.
jeffvickers

Post by jeffvickers »

silent g wrote:

1ps, and 2ps in your case, silent g, ah well, mind your head
logopolis

Post by logopolis »

betchrider wrote:Is it me or are all spoons going "non bubble"?
Not necessarily true. 3 bubbles in a Spoons near me.
betchrider

Post by betchrider »

oh ok but thet just removed everyone in a 1er yesterday near me!
The Duke of betchington Betchrider