A surprising first, thinking about it

General fruit machine related chat, if it doesn't fit another category discuss it here..
kidgloves

A surprising first, thinking about it

Post by kidgloves »

Note payout today - machine spits out a Scottish tenner. At first I thought I'd been fleeced with an outer Mongolian piece of paper worth about 3p. Anyway, stuck it in another machine no problem - just never occurred to me that they could pay out haggis money, and the first time it has ever happened.
Confucius say "man who know wombat know more than stupid looking monkey"
betchrider

Post by betchrider »

Theyve got puggies in Scotland too ya know
The Duke of betchington Betchrider
Ruler of The World

Post by Ruler of The World »

Wow, what an interesting post. The first thing that would come to my mind if I got a Scottish note out of the fruit machine would be to rush home and tell everyone on Fruitchat too! What an event!!!
kidgloves

Post by kidgloves »

Take your sarcasm outside lad.
Confucius say "man who know wombat know more than stupid looking monkey"
AMK

Post by AMK »

I paid for a car with some Scottish notes. It took some time before they finally agreed to accept them.
Aparantly they DON'T have to accept legal tender. But that could be a load of shit I dunno.
... Join The Party!
Scott

Post by Scott »

I remember lots of places had a sign up a few years back saying we do not accept Scottish money, perhaps there were forgeries going around? Or they did'nt like Jock's?
Cobwebs 👆
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Ruler of The World wrote:Wow, what an interesting post. The first thing that would come to my mind if I got a Scottish note out of the fruit machine would be to rush home and tell everyone on Fruitchat too! What an event!!!
Terrible post. Hardly worth the effort.
Cf

Post by Cf »

Scottish notes aren't legal tender outside of Scotland.

That said, the concept of legal tender doesn't apply to buying a car anyway. They could demand monopoly money if they so wished.
betchrider

Post by betchrider »

I thought it WAS legal tender.
The Duke of betchington Betchrider
Scott

Post by Scott »

I'm fairly sure it is too!
Cobwebs 👆
Cf

Post by Cf »

It isn't.

But legal tender isn't really that important. Buying goods/services from shops/whatever the idea of legal tender doesn't enter the equation. People are within their rights to accept/refuse whatever sort of payment they wish.

So if you wanted you could set up a shop that didn't take sterling but only accepted euros. Silly thing to do of course but quite within your rights to do it.

Legal tender only applies to settlements of debt. Essentially if you present legal tender (in this country that's all coins up to £2 (tho 50p and less in limited amounts), and english notes) then they have to accept it. Likewise, if you owe money it can be demanded in legal tender, though of course most places/situations will accept cheques/cards/etc.

So for example that meal we had on the blackpool meet where we paid a £200ish bill in £1 coins. A debt exists. £1 coins are legal tender up to any amount. Hence they cannot refuse that payment.
Cf

Post by Cf »

JG wrote:Ah I see, I remember you saying that to me at the time. So it changes the dynamic somewhat as we have already eaten the food, hence a debt exists, whilst in a shoe shop (you clever little shoe!) say, there is no debt, just an invitation to buy.
Exactly :)
Been-Grant-Mitchell'd!

Post by Been-Grant-Mitchell'd! »

I came back from Scotland last year with a few grand in Scottish notes & banked them here no problem.

I did get an Isle Of Man £20 note when I cashed in coins on the P&O Express from Larne and could do nothing with it. Eventually a mate who used to post on here took it to his bank, where he worked and changed it.
Roll_With_It_Russ

Post by Roll_With_It_Russ »

All scottish money is not really worth anything, issued by the bank of scotland, which is bust now, so its worth nothing, but its the same as any other promisary notes, only worth what people have faith in.

As for legal tender, the only uk currency that is, £1 and £2 and £5 pound coins, every thing else is in effect an IOU or bank credit.
amazing

Post by amazing »

Ruler of The World wrote:Wow, what an interesting post. The first thing that would come to my mind if I got a Scottish note out of the fruit machine would be to rush home and tell everyone on Fruitchat too! What an event!!!
knob !