PDA

View Full Version : Any Cardiff-based players?

Nil Satis
24-05-2006, 07:48 PM
I was in Cardiff on Sunday watching the Play Off Final with some Watford-supporting friends so naturally decided to check out a few of the quizzers - I'd been a couple of times before so knew where some likely places were.

It was however an almost completely futile exercise, and not because I played badly. From memory I found this:

-- Yates - a new Paragon but it was switched off

-- Walkabout - an oval Gamesnet with the 'Hopper Failed to Pay 2.00' error message from about 5 days earlier - no one had apparently reported it!

-- The Cardiff Cottage (St Mary's St) - an ItBox but in that weird engineer mode where a keyboard appears on the screen

-- Great Western (Lloyds No. 1) - a working ItBox (finally!) but with the screen calibration off so that you couldn't reliably press C or D on Millionaire 2006

-- Central Bar (Wetherspoons) - an ItBox with a Windows error screen displaying

-- Irish place opposite the Castle - an oval Gamesnet but switched off again!

I lost the will to live after those 6. Does anyone live in or play the games in Cardiff? Was I just incredibly unlucky or is someone going round emptying or even damaging all the machines or do the the landlords just not care? I realise they were busy that day making sure only 'Couples and Families' were allowed in for a couple of hours after the match (WTF? - big town, small minds!) but is it always like that??

:shock:

David Healy
24-05-2006, 08:30 PM
I too was in Cardiff on Sunday. Why the gaffer didn't let me on until the 70th minute, I'll never know.

Anyway, as for the Central Bar, did you not go upstairs - fully functioning ITBox (not issue 42 from what I remember, but I could be wrong) and a Proteus, although there wouldn't have been much point in playing them after about noon.

cool
25-05-2006, 12:19 PM
The biggest man in quiz machines comes from South Wales, quite literally.
Appearing at the McMillan nurses nationwide quiz (winning I believe a car) and meeting the Cheeky Girls .Also appeared on WWTBAM tour in the grand final Torquay.Been spotted in Bristol..

Nil Satis
25-05-2006, 12:26 PM
I too was in Cardiff on Sunday. Why the gaffer didn't let me on until the 70th minute, I'll never know.

Anyway, as for the Central Bar, did you not go upstairs - fully functioning ITBox (not issue 42 from what I remember, but I could be wrong) and a Proteus, although there wouldn't have been much point in playing them after about noon.

I actually didn't realise there was an upstairs part to the Central Bar (assuming we are talking about the same place - the Wetherspoons in a side street off the main shopping street).

:oops:

What do you mean however about not playing them after noon? Are the quiz players in Cardiff all posties or something?

David Healy
25-05-2006, 12:42 PM
We are definately talking about the same place. The stairs aren't the most obvious, although they are directly opposite the broken ITBox. I don't think you were alone in not realising there was an upstairs judging by the amount of people packed in downstairs.

With regards to the noon thing, I was only referring to those two machines on that particular day, not making a general statement about Cardiff.

grecian
25-05-2006, 01:24 PM
The biggest man in quiz machines comes from South Wales, quite literally.
Appearing at the McMillan nurses nationwide quiz (winning I believe a car) and meeting the Cheeky Girls .Also appeared on WWTBAM tour in the grand final Torquay.Been spotted in Bristol..

I know the man you mean Cool! Big, quite literally! Are you a friend of his?

cool
25-05-2006, 11:51 PM
no Ive just heard reports about him. Have reported sightings of him in Bristol and at the previous listed events.

Istenem
26-05-2006, 09:01 AM
i saw a wannabe pro yesterday. wasn't in the mood to play but was having a recce. this guy came in, didn't buy a drink and won 5 from 2 on a combination of QFG and TP took him about 20 minutes then he sloped off.

anyway i'd done the crossword so while finishing my pint i put 50p in WC and took 2 out. then went to the pub across the road and the same guy was in there.

i guess little tale of turpitude happens across the country.

grecian
26-05-2006, 09:08 AM
i saw a wannabe pro yesterday. wasn't in the mood to play but was having a recce. this guy came in, didn't buy a drink and won 5 from 2 on a combination of QFG and TP took him about 20 minutes then he sloped off.

anyway i'd done the crossword so while finishing my pint i put 50p in WC and took 2 out. then went to the pub across the road and the same guy was in there.

Sorry, which games do the abbreviations represent?

Istenem
26-05-2006, 09:20 AM
quids for grids, trivial pursuit, word cube

Nil Satis
30-05-2006, 10:34 AM

Given that people like him give us all a bad name, I'd be tempted to shout very loudly, "Aren't you buying a drink then?"

:wink: