PDA

View Full Version : Quiz machine bugs

Pages : [1] 2

tka
06-08-2005, 01:14 PM
I thought it would be an idea to start a thread with errors in games: eg blank Q&A combos.
I'll start

S&D (ind:e £1 play))
I chose cosmetics 7, 4

screen comes up with -e----i
(no second word)
some nosey bird said it was cerruti, which it was but the machine still hanged me. and basically stole £1

Ernest W. Quality
06-08-2005, 10:36 PM
I wrote about an error with Szilard Nemeth (was szilaro nemeth in the games erroneous world), in HexAppeal.

I hate it when people join in when you didn't ask them to. If they're right, then they get the credit, even if you knew the answer AND they will invariably try and answer the next question authoritatively even if they don't actually know the answer. If they're wrong, then what the fuck, you owe me 50p. The number of times it actually helps you is a lot less than when its just an annoyance that makes you take longer to consider whether they are right or wrong. What's worst of all is when they press the screen themselves... I was at £3, (16000pts I think) on millionaire one time, one question for a guaranteed £4, and some dildo behind me leaned forward and pressed some answer that was obviously wrong. Then he buggered off as I was standing, paralysed with amazement.

tka
06-08-2005, 10:44 PM
Mmm. agree with you EWQ.
same day on football crazy i got
European cities 9 --C---E--
I spent 20 seconds working it out (knowing they were watching me)
and worked it out.
I chose B then U then H
and a voice behind me shouted BUCHAREST
well duh!

Ernest W. Quality
06-08-2005, 11:01 PM
Oh and another one. On haunted hangman, where is the distillery for Talisker whisky (I think it was), options Isle of Arran, Isle of Mull, Isle of Sky. I thought "Sky" must be a joke answer for "Skye" (as any one who isn't a total fannywit knows that is the correct spelling), so I chose Arran, then Mull.
Wrong... it was indeed Eilean Sgitheanach after all... These questions seem to have been programmed by a 6-year-old.

Ernest W. Quality
09-08-2005, 01:19 AM
An absolutely hideously wrong question today, on Trivial Pursuit:

Sport: What nationality was Eusebio?

A: Brazilian
B: Portuguese
C: English (I think, or some other obviously wrong answer).

I pressed B, but the machine thinks it is A.

Eusebio was originally from Mozambique in Africa, went to Portugal, and was Portugal's record goal-scorer, came 3rd in World Cup 66 with Portugal.

Gutted. To top it all my mate who was with me put a quid in a machine that didn't register it at all, neither spat it out, credited us, or when we put a 10p in it didn't come out. Even when we won later the money didn't come out, the machine just ate the quid. I've not had that happen before, either it comes back out, or credits you a pound. Agony. Getting a 2700+ on Sum Up for £2 (would have been worth about £14 on an unrogered machine) was little consolation.

tka
23-08-2005, 09:03 PM
ONLINE SHOPPING 4,4
---- ----
A
---- --A-
E
---- --A-
I
---- --A-
N
---- --A-
T
---T --A-
O
-OOT --A-
S
-OOT S-A-
F
FOOT S-A-
P
FOOT SPA-
apparently foot SPARS are all the rage now

25-08-2005, 08:37 PM
I think it was Mousetrap on Monday which asked me in which film Ronald Reagan wanted to 'win one for the gripper'. The mind boggles.

Mattb
25-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Slight bugginess i get on bully sometimes is the screen calibration is fucked. Doesn;t really help you to aim for bulls does it! Be better off throwing me quid down the drain!

Matt

26-08-2005, 06:39 PM
Screen calibration is the devil. This evening I am £1 worse off than I would be if there existed such a thing as "chocolate peauts", thankyou Cryptic Clues. Still, word up is £1 at 620 in a pub up the road I have discovered, thankyou locals!

evermore2000
26-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Wierd thing is im eatin chocolate peanuts rite now! lol

dangerous
28-08-2005, 07:05 PM
had 5 suspects on cluedo and landed on a ?. and all the choices went fuzzy! Nobody could not make them out. im sure bonus suspect was there cos id answered 3 or 4 questions after landing on blank spaces before gettin the ?

Ernest W. Quality
01-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Getting far too many bugs for my liking:

Today on Bullseye, Science:

What nationality is Hans Geiger?

A. German
B. French
C. German
D. Austrian

[For your interest, the "answer" was A, not C, as I chose, knowing that he was German].

Also today, Weakest Link:

Which of these were not Celtic strikers in March 2002 [I think it was]?
A. Sutton
B. Kitson
C. Larrson

Although it was evidently Kitson, I unthinkingly pressed Larrson because it was spelled wrong (correct spelling is Larsson, as anyone who can count their own fingers will know).

I admit that it was my fault that time, because I should have considered the fact that Kitson was 100% wrong, but bear in mind, this was on Weakest Link, in which the crucial factor is speed and answering the question before you've even read it.

Istenem
06-09-2005, 01:56 PM
on the misspelling point:

HHH
Which of these is the correct spelling?
a. hicup
b. hiccup
c. hiccough

so i pressed c (any linguist will tell you that's the right answer although the other (incorrect) form is more widespread).
and i lost £3.
for the programmer to get the spelling wrong on a spelling question is pretty disappointing.

Demmerz
06-09-2005, 09:15 PM
There's the problem: are they being idots with 'trick' questions, or are they clueless idiots? You can't tell so can't even make accurate guesses.

Hiccup I suppose was the 'correct' answer. A prediction: the question will come up on a machine somewhere and 'c' will be correct.

Maybe they have to be more awkward in the south to pay the extortionate bills??

ZAX
20-11-2005, 01:42 PM
I had a few on old stand deliver, including the time I guessed the car make, which appeared off centre and in small type and the game crashed. There were also two typos I recall:-

CLASSIC TV 3,8,4,2,3 - THE DARLINGS BUDS OF MAY
FILM STARS 5,3,5 - Looked like TOMMY LEE JONES to me, but no, the game was convinced the answer was TOMMY LEE JONE_ and wouldnt let me fill in the last letter!

Istenem
22-11-2005, 09:19 AM
on the new paragon it's a knokout game (i-spy section) there is a picture of a hamper and you have to find with your little eye something beginning with B (4,4).
it is a BEAD ROLL

ZAX
05-12-2005, 01:03 PM
Cryptic Clues again

IN THE OFFICE

9,7 - what office would be without good old ELECTRICS SOCKETS

Ernest W. Quality
15-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Hex Appeal:

Countries: _ _ B _ _

Thought for 10 seconds, could only think of Libya and Gabon, with common letter A, so chose A:

_ _ B A _

Couldn't think of any countries like this except possibly LIBAN (Lebanon alternate name), so chose I.

_ _ B A I

Correctly guessed it was Dubai. Which is not a country. :roll:

Cardinal Sin
15-01-2006, 09:52 PM
S&D ind:e £1 play
I chose cosmetics 7, 4
screen comes up with -e----i
no second word
some nosey bird said it was cerruti, which it was but the machine still hanged me. and basically stole £1

Without wanting to sound like some sort of poof who is au-fait with ladies' perfumes, but the answer was probably Cerruti 1881. It probably got a bit confused cos it doesn't let you choose numbers. Still a shoddy piece of programming.

Why doesn't it come up in a separate box when I press the quote button?

tka
15-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Not sure mate, It should though. But fair play for knowing about perfume
(poof) :wink:

Ernest W. Quality
15-01-2006, 11:40 PM
Maybe you accidentally ticked the little box saying "Disable BBCode in this post" ?

Cardinal Sin
16-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Maybe you accidentally ticked the little box saying "Disable BBCode in this post" ?

Good thinking! You wouldn't know I worked in IT.

tka
16-01-2006, 08:35 PM
IT? Blimey!

Demmerz
17-01-2006, 09:23 AM
As far as I'm aware, you don't need an amazing amount of knowledge to be in IT (I'm aiming this at support, btw), as the computer tells you everything. You just need a little bit of nouse and be relatively proficient with a pc.

Or, in our case, the ability to say "Have you rebooted it?, Oh you have. I'll have to get a technician out".

SWP
05-03-2006, 11:03 AM
Playing the "new" vers. of Cluedo, mystery "bonus" cards just disappear (rather than flipping over and shuffling - find the lady style) before reappearing to let me pick one - is this a bug or just the way it is?

QuizMaster
09-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Here's one to be careful of - playing Hex Appeal on a Paragon

Places:

--I--E C--R--S

Not got it yet? Have you never people never been to Prince Charles?

Also be careful of the former Liverpool footballer who turns up in 'Elements'

Molbyendum

Schuey
09-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Still think the biggest classic which still appears from time to time is cryptic clue, "chocolate peauts". Yes I know it's already been mentioned on this thread, but it now makes me chuckle everytime when somebody doesn't get it.

To be fair though CC was always good for a few quid. F1 winners all day long!

Istenem
09-03-2006, 01:53 PM
'

Molbyendum

love it, never seen that one. is it possible to spell a single word wrong in so many ways?

Nil Satis
09-03-2006, 01:59 PM
SYE!

:D

ZAX
10-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Ant and Dec:-

Matt Le blanc starred in which of these films...

2 films youve never heard of, and answer b - CHARLIES ANGLES. Which was right

On Football Crazy - category- CHARTON ATHLETIC players. Demmerz and all the others must play for them.

Barry Trotter
10-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Here's one to be careful of - playing Hex Appeal on a Paragon

Places:

--I--E C--R--S

Not got it yet? Have you never people never been to Prince Charles?

Prince Charles is an island located located in the Foxe Basin, and is administered by North West Territories, Canada - just for your info ;)

Ernest W. Quality
10-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Hex Appeal: Biscuits: LOTUS ORIGINAL CARAMLISED BISCUITS.
Thankfully not an important bug, since there is more than one E so the missing E is not a life-loser.

English Football Teams: STEVENAGE BUROUGH (surely should be BOROUGH?)

tka
10-03-2006, 10:54 PM
I have got a brilliant picture waiting.
Meanwhile check the Hall Of Fame in here.

Mattb
10-03-2006, 11:02 PM
Hex Appeal: Biscuits: LOTUS ORIGINAL CARAMLISED BISCUITS.
Thankfully not an important bug, since there is more than one E so the missing E is not a life-loser.

English Football Teams: STEVENAGE BUROUGH (surely should be BOROUGH?)

On that token, i've also had a similar typo as yours Ernest.

English Football Teams: Middlesborough (It's Middlesbrough.....extra o shouldn't be there)

Some of this has to be deliberate!

Matt

QuizMaster
11-03-2006, 10:04 AM
A Canadian walks into a bar:

The barman says: What can I get you sir?

Man: Labatt's

Barman: Where you from?

Man: Prince Charles

Barman: What? Do you live up his arse? Surely you mean you're from Prince Charles Island

Ernest W. Quality
14-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Possibly my favourite bug of all time today:

Hex appeal, Chinese Takeaway:
CLICK HERE TO GO BACK TO MENU

I tried poking the screen where it said HERE to see what happened, but no joy. Some cut and pasting error by programmers probably.

tka
14-03-2006, 09:01 PM
Possibly my favourite bug of all time today:

Hex appeal, Chinese Takeaway:
CLICK HERE TO GO BACK TO MENU

I tried poking the screen where it said HERE to see what happened, but no joy. Some cut and pasting error by programmers probably.

:D Excellent!

tka
26-03-2006, 10:27 PM
I hereby award this thread the title of FruitChat's funniest ever.

Ernest W. Quality
26-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Don't!!! You'll encourage them to put in more of these joke/wrong answers. :shock:

27-03-2006, 06:38 PM
I think you are right guys! :) (http://msn.seo-toolz.com/)

QuizMaster
29-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Went on a Paragon hunt yesterday and was shocked at the amount of machines I discovered which took my £1 coin and failed to give me any games.

Got the usual crap from the managers about it being nothing to do with them and they'd have to call in. I fail to see how it can be nothing to with them when it's in their pub. They told me I'd have to come back when the engineer had been to claim. My usual prcatice in these cases is to help myself to 1 ashtray which my missus shifts at the local car boot.

Also got mugged by Trivia for Twats with:

In which of these years was Michel Platini NOT European footballer of the year?

A 1986
B 1985
C 1966

It wanted 1986 (he won it 83/84/85). I should have known, but guess the '1966' option just threw me.

Shoddy

Istenem
29-03-2006, 10:35 AM
i've not had that problem myself but hopper empty messages or failure to pay out are common. mind you not as common as getting overpaid on ind:es where the previous collection got stuck in the chute.
i carry a cheap comb for these instances to scoop out the stuck coins, fits in itboxes with jammy chutes too.

i once knew of a machine where someone (presumably the publican) had deliberately blocked the payout tubes with cardboard. after i went to collect i heard the sound which was fishy as you kinda get used to how it should sound and had a little investigate. my £4 win turned into £15. perhaps dishonest of me but not as much as whoever had put the cardboard there in the first place. i replaced the bung and finished my pint.

the machine has since been swapped for one of those golf things.

Nil Satis
29-03-2006, 11:31 AM
I played what looked (from the pristine shininess of the cabinet) like a brand new Gamesnet - the large oval variety - the other day and, despite it being so new, the touchscreen recognition was off sufficiently as to make the games where that matters much harder to play. For Word Up this made it very hard to cash in on the 500 points for £1 being offered, due to the time wasted on entering each word two or three times, and then during my second game of Word Up (ever optimistic as I am) the screen froze completely!

I had no remaining credits so didn't pursue it with the pub but how rubbish was that?!

WaterGate
29-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Oh look another thread turns into bloody Word Up. A paragon with word up ( or possible cwordcube perhaps ) on it would be this forums main topic of conversation for many years to come I'm sure! www.paragonwordup.com :wink:

Istenem
29-03-2006, 01:13 PM
i actually clicked on that obviously bogus link
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Nil Satis
29-03-2006, 01:56 PM
You got me there, Watergate, although in my defence I'm not really a Word Up guru/evangelist - I tend to play it for recreation as compared to the quiz games where I am much more mercenary. But if someone can start a new thread looking at playing Word Up on the Paragons where only obscure 3 letter words are allowed, we would definitely have a winner. :wink:

P.S. To return to the main topic of this thread

not as common as getting overpaid on ind:es where the previous collection got stuck in the chute

in case anyone doesn't realise, the same thing happens on the large oval Gamesnets so check there first if you think you have been underpaid when collecting winnings.

Ernest W. Quality
29-03-2006, 02:57 PM
Got the usual crap from the managers about it being nothing to do with them and they'd have to call in.

Guess therefore they wouldn't mind if you battered the hell out of the machine to get your quid back.

There would probably be huge watchdog type complaints if something more important gave as poor service as quiz machines sometimes do.

Oh look another thread turns into bloody Word Up. A paragon with word up ( or possible cwordcube perhaps ) on it would be this forums main topic of conversation for many years to come I'm sure! www.paragonwordup.com

Fancy that? If only there was a way you could stop this happening.

SWP
30-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Was that reply a cynical effort to gain a few posting points?

SWP
30-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Like this one :wink:

tka
09-04-2006, 08:51 PM
I was playing Hex earlier

Biscuit Barrel 8

----V--

apparently these days everyone is eating GESTIVES

Ernest W. Quality
09-04-2006, 09:00 PM
Presumably means Jestives.

tka
09-04-2006, 09:18 PM
Well either me or they have spelt it wrong :wink:

SWP
09-04-2006, 09:26 PM
Hope you didn't throw a 'J' AND an 'F' at it for two lives down the pan.

:? Are all the biscuits in that barrel rotten?

SWP
17-04-2006, 05:14 PM
Had INVENTORS today on Hex..

:shock: ALEKSANDER JUST :shock:

Anyone know what this guy invented? The bent SWP perhaps? The 1st dodgy Question?

Planetary Moons..

-E--U-E

Please tell me this is something other than NEPTUNE.

Any contributions to boost my lowly education appreciated.

ZAX
02-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Played the latest greatest game the numbers game yet? Im not one to get too picky bu I have never seen as many mistyped and misspelt questions. Quite like the game though although there is a q on there about a russian athlete no one will ever have heard of, asking what year he was born and the answers are:-

a. 1958
b. 1957
c. 1957

The correct answer is a. btw.

The thief set free instead of Jesus according to this btw is me old mate BARRABUS.

QuizMaster
05-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Here's a topical one:

Who won the World Cup in 1970?

Brazil
Italy
West Germany

It wants Italy as the answer.

Ironically, it was on a Big Match, which amused me.

QuizMaster
08-06-2006, 05:30 PM
I seem to be blessed with more of these this week (could be because I've cranked up my play I suppose, so I can take a month off for the impending footy fest)

Seen on Japseye today:

Who invaded Hong Kong in 1841?

Options were:

A/ Hong Kong
B/ China

I was mildly concerned by the lack of Britain as an answer, since it was our imperial selves, so I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised when I pressed China and had to use a Try Again to press Hong Kong.

I hate self-invaders

tka
08-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Hex. Cheeses of the world.
ASAGIO apparently.
But Mouscrap spells it right 8)

Mattb
08-06-2006, 09:21 PM
Was playing pub quiz a couple of days back...

Got to the £1 round, and was asked as a general question:

Which of these is a type of cabbage:

I can't rememeber the other 2 options, but Stephen Hawking was one of them! :shock: I know its not a bug, but surely thats a bit below the belt. I have to admit i did laugh at its ridiculousness though! :P

Matt

fotherz
10-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Which of these is a bearded tit?

Bird
Fish
Bill Oddie

Nice.

Nil Satis
12-06-2006, 05:10 PM
On Stand and Deliver yesterday, all three words/phrases were 25 points so I knew it was going to be a poor game anyway. I guessed the pink letter with my first guess to get the bonuses only to be offered ... four Hangmen (i.e. game over) - talk about not giving someone a fair chance!

tka
12-06-2006, 06:57 PM
On Stand and Deliver yesterday, all three words/phrases were 25 points so I knew it was going to be a poor game anyway. I guessed the pink letter with my first guess to get the bonuses only to be offered ... four Hangmen (i.e. game over) - talk about not giving someone a fair chance!

I don't know how they cn claim it is a skill game if it offers you that as a 'bonus'.

QuizMaster
13-06-2006, 11:07 PM
Bah. More crap from the Hex Appeal files this time..........

Inventors: 6 4 1

The answer, apparently, is Gustav Dahl N

Gustav C. Dahl, I have since discovered, is some sort of early 20th Century physicist.

I have no idea why is should be Gustav Dahl N.

I did find a new category I had never seen before on it tonight though:

Pub Trivia Games: 2 6

The answer was No Appeal

Ha ha

Nil Satis
11-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Another couple to look out for (both from Deal or No Deal I believe):

(1) apparently AC and Inter play at the Stadio Olimpico, rather than Lazio and Roma

(2) War and Peace wasn't written by Tolstoy, or even by Dostoyevsky (the answer I picked from the three wrong ones offered)

Why do you only seem to get these ones late in a game when it really matters?! :evil:

QuizMaster
11-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Not a question bug so much as an indicator that it'll be liitered with them.

Played South Park (new) the other day and got through to the end game, at which a whole screen appeared with the message:

Well Done! Your not stupid!

Jesus.

Istenem
11-07-2006, 04:20 PM
i noticed this one too but i'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt over a deliberate misspelling.

however, i have noticed a fair few Qs on new paragon games are preceded by A] or Q] which does seem clumsy.
also the programmers have finally got the correct hieroglyph in B*witched's name.

jonesey
11-07-2006, 08:26 PM
If we're talking about mispellings not affecting the questions/answers - am I right in thinking that Word Cube (or possibly Text Tiles) congratulates you with 'You have acheived [sic] a high score' (apols if this pointed out before).

Not reassuring for a word game ...

admin
11-07-2006, 09:30 PM
[quote="jonesey"]'You have acheived [sic] a high score'quote]

Ive noticed that as well. Fills me full of confidence.

Barry Trotter
12-07-2006, 02:32 PM
If you look at the context of the spelling mistake on South Park, i'd hazard a guess that it was meant to be like that. I hope ;)

WaterGate
13-07-2006, 07:41 AM
Barry. It was just a bad idea and leave it at that. :shock:

Barry Trotter
13-07-2006, 09:07 AM
I'll have to agree to agree with you on that one ;) Sack the artists, or the tester, or whoever thought that was a good idea....

QuizMaster
17-07-2006, 02:48 PM
I could probably start a brand new thread on this game, such are the inaccuracies contained within.........

DOND today:

Which of these is a fruit?

Tomato
Potato
Orange

I was already concerned, since tomato technically classes a fruit.

And it wanted tomato of course, which cost me my try again, which cost me the deal, which cost me money.

'It's getting interesting', said Noel, as I punched my fist through the screen, which knocked the monitor off ha ha. So at least Noel won't skank any more people today at least.

Istenem
17-07-2006, 02:51 PM
If you look at the context of the spelling mistake on South Park, i'd hazard a guess that it was meant to be like that. I hope ;)

another section has congrat POO lations

Barry Trotter
17-07-2006, 02:54 PM
you do wonder whether some of these questions are put in on purpose... especially on BFM games, which seem to hold the vast majority of these "oversights".. although i think tha paragoof boxes also have a fair few cock-ups in the questions

surely anyone who writes questions for a living, or even those that have an interest in SWP's, would know that a tomato is a fruit

Nil Satis
17-07-2006, 04:35 PM
I could probably start a brand new thread on this game, such are the inaccuracies contained within.........

DOND

Another one to watch out for is that DOND thinks that George W Bush was 64 on becoming President, not 54 which is one of the other answers. His Dad was indeed 64 on becoming President, but he was known as George HW Bush (or more usually just George Bush, as there was of course no need to distinguish him from his son at the time).

David Healy
17-07-2006, 09:32 PM

DOND today:

Tomato
Potato
Orange

I was already concerned, since tomato technically classes a fruit.

And it wanted tomato of course, which cost me my try again, which cost me the deal, which cost me money.

'It's getting interesting', said Noel, as I punched my fist through the screen, which knocked the monitor off ha ha. So at least Noel won't skank any more people today at least.

I fail to see what your problem was with this question.

Tomato = Fruit

Potato = Vegetable

Orange = Colour

Fairly straightforward question if you ask me.

Matt Vinyl
18-07-2006, 07:37 AM
You could argue that, but it's a bit sneaky really, as picking 'Orange' is just as valid an answer as picking 'Tomato', although we all know hat the machine was looking for...

What would you call that 'orange colured' fruit with segments and pips then? :)

Erm... that'll be 'An Orange'.

:)

Nil Satis
20-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Countdown has a nice one - What was a cinema owner asked to remove from his roof in 1990? Two of the answers are:

A - a fibreglass fish
B - a plastic shark

As the correct answer is a fibreglass shark (http://www.headington.org.uk/history/misc/shark.htm) you have to take pot luck on which answer it wants and naturally I chose the wrong one (a plastic shark), thereby losing the £3 I had patiently won on the game. Grrrrrr......

lukey89
24-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Not really a question bug but...

On Cluedo I was given the bonus of being told the murderer was wearing a tie. "Excellent" I thought to myself as I warmed my hands to collect the winnings...there was only one tie wearing suspect left.

Lo and behold when i attempted to name the murderer, it was incorrect.

:shock:

cool
25-07-2006, 08:07 AM
interesting the cleudo blunder.Used to happen a lot on the original Cleudos. I believe they reprogrammed the later Cleudo to cover up their mistakes and stitch up the player as the machine stopped saying who did it , where and with what.

lukey89
25-07-2006, 09:02 AM
That's good to hear that they have fixed that problem. I must say i have stayed clear of cluedo for a while though since then.

QuizMaster
28-07-2006, 04:59 PM
Here's another gem:

Who went to the moon in Vostok 1?

Neil Armstrong
Yuri Gregarin
Lionel de Benieres

I am now accustomed to the biffer wavelength of this particular question writer, and can work out what he means even though:

A/ No way would Vostok 1 have ever made it to the moon
B/ Yuri who?

If I had a £1 for every inaccuracy I'd spotted on this game, I'd have..................

About 4 quid

QuizMaster
14-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Another gem from the files of Wank or Not Wank:

In Darts, what the 'B' in WPBSA stand for?

Don't panic, the answer they want is Billiards. But what the fuck has that got to with Darts?

Now I'd have £5

Istenem
16-08-2006, 12:14 PM
can't remember the question (something about rugby) but the answers were

samua
fiji
papua new ginea

well it wasn't fiji.

Mattb
22-08-2006, 07:58 AM
Not a bug, but a horrible spoiler here.

Playing hex with a mate (not my choice, hate the bloomin' game).

Competitive sports. Used up all my letters to be left with _e_a_ ta_ra_

Apparently everyone plays sepak takraw these days. What a joke! :x

Matt

Hangmanfan
22-08-2006, 11:22 AM
ITBox Soccer is the most frustrating game ever. In one particular pub it ALWAYS freezes after you enter your name for the high score list. The amount of times I've had to ask for the manager, who has kindly got my deserved winnings out of the till, I can't remember.
In another pub, it decides every now and then to just not sense when the screen's being touched, meaning the timer runs out and you've lost 50p.

If I could find an ITBox Soccer cabinet which didn't screw up I could probably quit my full time job...

Ernest W. Quality
22-08-2006, 12:01 PM

Excellent! It's a quality game which I played a bit as a kid in Malaysia. It's huge in SE Asia. It's like volleyball, but you have to use feet/legs/head and the ball is smaller and made of ratan wood fibres. It is incredibly difficult and often painful. Some players do bicycle kicks as the equivalent of volleyball smashes.

grecian
22-08-2006, 12:09 PM
ITBox Soccer is the most frustrating game ever. In one particular pub it ALWAYS freezes after you enter your name for the high score list. The amount of times I've had to ask for the manager, who has kindly got my deserved winnings out of the till, I can't remember.
In another pub, it decides every now and then to just not sense when the screen's being touched, meaning the timer runs out and you've lost 50p.

If I could find an ITBox Soccer cabinet which didn't screw up I could probably quit my full time job...

I can barely get beyond £3 or £4 on it. How many points do you get in the average game?

Mattb
22-08-2006, 12:49 PM

Excellent! It's a quality game which I played a bit as a kid in Malaysia. It's huge in SE Asia. It's like volleyball, but you have to use feet/legs/head and the ball is smaller and made of ratan wood fibres. It is incredibly difficult and often painful. Some players do bicycle kicks as the equivalent of volleyball smashes.

Sounds good fun! :D

Incidentally Ernest, that was in the regal. I had a pop on WU, and the screen on both ITboxes was so out of calubration it was pointless. I only ended up getting about 750. £1 was only 800 points too, you would have been laughing. Bullseye down at 201 on both, and Spot The Difference down at 3/4 rounds for a £1. Easy money!

Matt

tka
22-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Nice avatar HangManFan. Welcome to FruitChat :)

Hangmanfan
22-08-2006, 08:05 PM
I don't take note of the points to be honest. in to the thousands though. i usually try to run with the money before it has a chance to freeze :x

Istenem
23-08-2006, 08:57 AM
why would you remove A&L? that is the third best category after F&D and A-Z. i get rid of music and entertainment then geography and sport. after that i'm invincible.

Hangmanfan
23-08-2006, 09:44 AM
It's my weakest subject, along with F&D. Geography is my favourite category by a mile, followed by A-Z :)

grecian
23-08-2006, 09:44 AM
Horses for courses. I always ditch Nature first, then Food and Drink, then Entertainment, then Sport.

23-08-2006, 10:42 AM
History is first to go with me!

fotherz
23-08-2006, 03:52 PM
History, Nature, Music.

Ernest W. Quality
23-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Nature, Music, A&L
Best on Sport and Geography (and Science obv)

microhead
23-08-2006, 09:19 PM
are you talking about Bullseye?
why get rid of any category...you get bonuses for hitting the bullseye not for clearing all the cats.

go for sport every time, makes no difference as long as you hit the bull

microhead
23-08-2006, 09:23 PM
ITBox Soccer is the most frustrating game ever. In one particular pub it ALWAYS freezes after you enter your name for the high score list.

heh that's the Lloyds in Carlisle isn't it (or whatever the chain pub next door is )?I played on that about a month ago and it fucked up exactly how you describe.

Itbox soccer is fixed I'm afraid. There is no maximum, you don't know what you're aiming for. If it wants to take your cash, it will.

Plenty of itboxes in Carlisle though. Try the Griffin or the Barras next to CUFC's stadium. You might even see DMAC on the score boards!

Ernest W. Quality
23-08-2006, 09:44 PM
We were talking about Hangman, where you get a bonus allowing you to kill a category.

tka
23-08-2006, 10:57 PM
When I was a mod I would have moved the favourite subject stuff to a new thread but I'm not anymore.

Anyway on TFD earlier

Which of these does not score 10 in Scrabble?
Q
J
X

Apparently X is now worth 10 as well. :(

Anyway on HHH I kill Geography, A&L then Music.

Ernest W. Quality
23-08-2006, 11:51 PM
I think Q and Z are 10, J and X are 8.

ZAX
01-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Not sure if this one has been on anywhere before but anyway....

BIG MATCH

What would your star sign be if you were born in the month of December?

A. Capricorn
B. Pisces
C. Saggitarius (sic)

Given that I was born in December I thought I must have a 50/50 chance here. The answer it wants is Pisces.

BJ2006
01-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Bullseye the other day: -

Which of the following comes first in the dictionary?

A: Blind
B: Back

The answer it wanted was Blind :x

Good job it was an early question with only two choices! As it happens this game turned out to be the easiest £2 I have ever won. 201 was the target, two questions needed to bring up the dart board where bully's bonus immediateley appeared taking me to the prize board, first dart straight into £2. Maybe I should have aimed for a higher prize rather than the orthodox £2/£5 sequence.

Istenem
01-09-2006, 12:45 PM
i've had that one about back too.

i can only assume it is a very weak play on words.

Istenem
04-09-2006, 01:54 PM
which P was a one-eyed monster in greek mythology

cyclops
ceres
cybele
(or similar)

seems like they chickened out of the polyphemus question to dumb down.

Istenem
20-09-2006, 08:28 AM
probably just me being fussy but on guess who it had blonde beard

cue circus music; di di diddle-iddle di di di di di

Nil Satis
26-09-2006, 01:25 PM
A few more corkers:

- Deal or No Deal reckons that Karaoke was invented in Stockport

- The Big Match thinks Italy (not Brazil) won the World Cup in 1970

and a classic from New Millionaire:

- Which of these was not in the Two Ronnies - Barker, Corbett, Biggs or O'Sullivan? They want Biggs, which is no consolation when the equally correct answer O'Sullivan costs you £6...

BJ2006
26-09-2006, 04:02 PM
and a classic from New Millionaire:

- Which of these was not in the Two Ronnies - Barker, Corbett, Biggs or O'Sullivan? They want Biggs, which is no consolation when the equally correct answer O'Sullivan costs you £6...

If you had picked Biggs, no doubt it would have wanted O'Sullivan as the correct answer!

ZAX
27-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Had the Hans Geiger one again today ie what nationality - its a bullseye question:-

a. french
b. german
c. german
d. swiss (or wherever)

The order is different from ernests post from ages ago, and the german it wants is c.

It took a reveal answer to get that...

Istenem
28-09-2006, 02:15 PM
i think Ernest saw this in the wild before but here is a picture of it
if anyone can translate it into a pic on screen please do.

Ernest W. Quality
28-09-2006, 04:21 PM
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/nfm24/pics/hex.jpg

This picture is now used at the VB site as a genuine back-to-menu link.

www.wordup.co.nr

Istenem
28-09-2006, 04:34 PM
This picture is now used at the VB site as a genuine back-to-menu link.

www.wordup.co.nr

nice one ;)
what's with the nauran(?) norwewgian (?) domain?
been thrown out of cambridge?

Ernest W. Quality
28-09-2006, 11:12 PM
No but it is free to register these Nauruan addresses.

echoes
27-10-2006, 08:58 PM
DoND this evening:

Which of these countries is made up of 52 states?

Russia
USA
South Africa

I vaguely remember seeing a similar question where the answer was Russia but this machine insisted the answer was USA.

This was very quickly followed by:

Which of these kings had eight wives?

Henry VIII
Harry VIII
Horace VIII

:roll:

QuizMaster
02-11-2006, 04:13 PM
And another from the files of Wank or Not Wank:

Which country is separated from England by the Cheviot Hills?

Ireland
Scotland
Wales

Fist punching, screen smacking, beard twatting, machine kicking all occurred as Noel said 'No you're wrong there', when I pressed Scotland, because it wants Wales.

'No, you're wrong there'

No I fucking wasn't you question writing fuckwits

QuizMaster
09-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Today's corker from the pages of Bullshite:

Which of these 'A's is a fear of confined spaces?

Claustrophobia
Cupboardophobia

Heh heh. Fuckwits

Matt Vinyl
09-11-2006, 05:04 PM
I'm sure some of these question writers are 'on' something! Although for 'non-regulars' it does make 'em chuckle when they see a stupidly ridiculous question like that last one...

QuizMaster
14-11-2006, 10:31 AM
A rare occurrence yesterday as I came across a incorrect one on Pub Quiz (usually excellent for accuracy and spellings)

Which of these insects is sometimes found in a bottle of tequila?

Beetle
Fly
Worm

Worm is the answer (even though it isn't an insect)

Cardinal Sin
14-11-2006, 10:47 PM
A favourite of Bullseye is to give you a question like "What's the odd word out", where there are 3 wrong answers and 1 right one.

Unfortunately, on your first few questions, you only get a choice of 2, so you inevitably end up with questions like

Which city is the odd one out?

A: London
B: New York

leonardo1
15-11-2006, 04:29 AM
A favourite of Bullseye is to give you a question like "What's the odd word out", where there are 3 wrong answers and 1 right one.

Unfortunately, on your first few questions, you only get a choice of 2, so you inevitably end up with questions like

Which city is the odd one out?

Never seen that...

Nil Satis
15-11-2006, 11:30 AM
This was common on some of the older games that had a 2-Ply/50-50 bonus, but they usually had the good manners to display the third answer 'greyed out' so that you could still answer Odd One Out-style questions. Deal or No Deal does something similar on the first five questions in each game, where you only have two answers not three.

The designers of Bullseye were obviously too busy working out how to make the end game fixed to think this one through...

Istenem
15-11-2006, 12:34 PM
bullseye (original) was actually designed by one guy in his bedroom (andrew wood (?) i may be wrong)
anyway, for the most profitable game pre DOND that is a pretty good effort.

Nil Satis
15-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Presumably you mean profitable for the pubs and machine owners as opposed to the people who play the game?

I've no doubt it's a reasonably decent game, I just object to the 'skill' element at the end being so different from the same skill which is used to actually get to the end game in the first place, i.e. the way that £1 is transparently so much easier to hit than the larger prizes even though all the areas on the board are the same. Not all skill-based games are like this:

Caveman Capers - hitting the shots doesn't change in difficulty whether it's the first shot or the £20 shot
Crazy Golf (original version) - the end game was hard but fair - you could see what you had to do to win
Big Match - the skill games may get a bit quicker/more involved but fundamentally use the same skill each time

Matt Vinyl
15-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Andrew Wood - I thought he was the 'original' creator of Bullseye the TV show? Again though, I may be wrong too!

I'm a bedroom 'game' coder! Would love to actually stick with something, finish it, and get it published...

Istenem
16-11-2006, 09:06 AM
Andrew Wood - I thought he was the 'original' creator of Bullseye the TV show?

yep you are right with that, my bad. here's some useless trivia: in early episodes of bullseye one of the category segments was the bible.

what happened to better letters?

Matt Vinyl
16-11-2006, 09:54 AM
Better Letters - Heh, still plugging away at that one, unfortunately with work, a missus and three kids (not biologically mine!) I don't experience terribly much 'dev-time'.

I've had a few PM's and e-mails from 'people' who have stated their interesting in utilising my work (if I ever finish it!). One chap was an official from one of the software houses that develops for the it-box... :)

I need to get focused methinks...

ZAX
22-11-2006, 09:53 AM
On ITBOX FOOTBALL QUIZ last night

LIVERPOOL SQUAD 2005-6 - 4,4,1

Put in an A

---- -A-- A

Now Im thinking it must be some far east reserve or robot, but no, it was me old mate

LUIS GARC A

I know I'd just won 4 quid but to scupper the next game like this.

Ernest W. Quality
22-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Obviously they copied a player list that had the acute 'i' in García.

QuizMaster
23-11-2006, 12:55 PM
Here's one from the files of Wankopoly:

Which of these is the 2nd planet from the sun?
Milky Way
Mars
Twix

Obviously the comedy (at best at a Timmy Mallett level) question presents no problem, but once again shows an abject failure to check what they've written.

Given Deal or No Deal and Bullseye's endless mistakes however, I am currently rating Monopoly/Channel 1 at 5th in my private 'all question writers are fuckwits' league

QuizMaster
05-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Haven't had a memorable one for a while but here's one from the files of Battleshits:

Which bookmaker's odds are known as 'earhole'?

Could it be Rosemary, the switchboard operator at 3/1?

No....could it be Sarge at Evens?

Could it be Henry, the mild mannered janitor at 8/4? Could be.........

8/4. I fucking ask you.

(It's 6/4 by the way)

Nil Satis
05-03-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm not deliberately trying to wind you up (honest, guv!) but I think you'll find it was Penry the mild-mannered janitor:

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/h/hongkong.htm

:wink:

05-03-2007, 04:00 PM
Unsurpassedly awful misspellings from Countdown on Saturday:

Which of the following men won...?

Steffi Graff

Andre Argassi

:lol:

Istenem
05-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Unsurpassedly awful misspellings from Countdown on Saturday:

Which of the following men won...?

Steffi Graff

Andre Argassi

:lol:

pedant :wink:

Drpepper
05-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Was playing a strike it rich/lucky? on some aincent machine a few weeks ago.

One question had 2 answers that were the same, surprisingly managed to get the correct one :D.

Hangmanfan
08-03-2007, 10:43 AM
On the football game with "Pele's Top 100"

_ _ _ _ _ Y _ _

It was
D A S S A Y E V, a USSR goalkeeper.

Not entirely a bug, but I expected it to be Disayev, or Dasaev.
I deplore spelling variations with people's names.

Here's a link to Pele's top 100 (or 125), and yes, I've got it on paper ready to pull out for the next stinker!

http://www.rediff.com/sports/2004/mar/05fifa.htm

I just hope it's Dalglish and not Dalgleish when that one comes along. I really wouldn't be surprised :x

Istenem
08-03-2007, 10:55 AM
i agree with the alternative spellings thing.

the other day on hex it occured to me that the indian takeaway category could be an absolute pig if it wanted. as you know, no two restaurants spell papadam/poppudum/papad/puppadam the same way.

Ernest W. Quality
08-03-2007, 11:35 AM
My vote would be poppadum and Dasayev. Though the variations of the latter are only down to transliteration. In Russian Cyrillic the spelling is always the same. :wink:

Just read the list: Pelé is clearly a dildo.

Istenem
15-05-2007, 01:36 PM
according to PMP, one of london's attractions is WINDSOR CASTLE.
not that it really matters but if Her Majesty was playing in her local 'spoons she'd be coughing ice.

Matt Vinyl
15-05-2007, 02:44 PM
if Her Majesty was playing in her local 'spoons she'd be coughing ice.

Chortle... ! :)

ZAX
17-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Hadnt had one for a bit but then.. NEW MILLI for 300 points..

Which of these comedians is known as a 'Brummie' comic

a. Frank Skinner b. Peter Kay c. Billy Connolly d. Jasper Carrott

Went Jasper Carrott on nothing more than the thought that hes a brummie, hes a comic, and he's a 'famous' Birmingham City fan.

Game Over.

ZAX
20-05-2007, 02:37 PM
And more.. this time TETRIS QUIZ

Which of these is the odd one out?

a. Earring
b. Gold

The answer, for future ref was gold. But it could be earring of course...

Cardinal Sin
20-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Effing DOND.

CANAL+ is a television station in which country?

Unless they've upped sticks and moved, they are most definitely French.

ROSSKEEN
23-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Apologies if already posted......

Today I got the always classic:

Orange
Tomato
A vegetable (cant remember what).

I picked orange because I had decided it was 110% a fruit (I know a tomato is too but orange is blatant) only to be given incorrect.

Do one Edmunds. You were crap in the 90's, you werent acceptable in the 80's and you're beginning to piss me off in the 2000's.

ROSSKEEN
23-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Oh and it also asked me a question whereby the answer was that well known rapper

ENIMEM

SWP
23-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Today I got the always classic:

Orange
Tomato
A vegetable (cant remember what).

I picked orange because I had decided it was 110% a fruit (I know a tomato is too but orange is blatant) only to be given incorrect.

Do one Edmunds. You were crap in the 90's, you werent acceptable in the 80's and you're beginning to piss me off in the 2000's.

Yes, but the beardy one was referring to orange the colour here not the fruit :roll:

So the answer was tomato unless the unspecified vegetable was also tomato in which case you have a 50/50 pop.

Good Luck :lol:

Northern Monkey
30-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Two dodgy questions today:-

Firstly:- Which of these is an English river? Having spent a large amount of time in Cumbria, I instictively went for the River Kent (a substantial waterway in Kendal) rather than the more obvious answer- Trent. Think that was DOND

Secondly:- In which film did Spielberg direct Richard Dreyfuss for the second time? Correct answer Close encounters of the 3rd time :?

grecian
30-05-2007, 02:37 PM
Firstly:- Which of these is an English river? Having spent a large amount of time in Cumbria, I instictively went for the River Kent (a substantial waterway in Kendal) rather than the more obvious answer- Trent. Think that was DOND

I've noted that one before as well - very rubbish of the question-setter.

ZAX
06-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Dunno if its just me but TETRIS quiz keeps on throwing up a few lately eg

Which of these cities is closest to Arthurs Seat?

A. Dundee b. Edinburgh c. Glasgow.

The answer it wanted was Dundee, which I can only presume means they are talking about a guy called Arthur, who lives near Dundee, and who has a seat, and not Arthurs Seat.

Soon after I got:-

Which of these artists was number 1 on June 16?

Bit unfair that, particularly with four choices to go at, but one mighty guess later (Black Legend) and on to the next cocked up Q

QuizMaster
11-06-2007, 12:32 PM
More fuckwittedness from the DOND question writers:

Which of these countries has 52 states?
Russia
Georgia
USA

It wants USA of course. Maybe they count GB and Iraq as the other 2?

SWP
11-06-2007, 04:53 PM

I think the Question setters have cleverly picked up on this common Icelandic misconception and given us a question which holds far more entertainment value (at the slight cost of being inaccurate).

You must realise these little 'easter eggs' (known as 'dog eggs' by the developers) are installed for our viewing pleasure and subsequent discussion.
They also serve to confuse the non-pro player and promote the true skill element in these games (i.e. not just bookish knowledge).

Ernest W. Quality
11-06-2007, 05:26 PM
I think you're right that many of them are put in deliberately. But many of them clearly aren't.

WaterGate
11-06-2007, 05:38 PM
what a load of hooey! It's complete laziness. Thinking that is exactly what they'd love you think as it gets them out of a painted corner. This is how poor conspiracies start.

SWP
11-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Ha! You're in for a shock WG. I've been leaked a sample question set from a forthcoming game (I can't go into any detail, but it's being developed under the working title of "Pavlov's Dog").

Example Question:
Q. Shdfhs orqioq dklkfadso..

A. SSS
B. HDH
C. DKDL

The idea is you play so much you react with the correct answer - true skill!

Jeez guys, my previous post was a p*ss take. If you can't see that step away from the machine.

grecian
11-06-2007, 06:00 PM
It's laziness. There's one about Henry VIII having eight wives as well. The ignorant have a vague idea that there might be 52 states just as they think Henry VIII might have had eight wives. The lesson is they should be checking their questions (obvious really).

Ernest W. Quality
11-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Ironic or not, I still think you are right that some of the mistakes are deliberate, to bum the punters. Although the far greater number of accidental mistakes achieve the same.

Dolan
11-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Henry VIII had 8 wives. That is why he was Henry the Eighth.

At least that is what I was taught at school.

Ernest W. Quality
11-06-2007, 09:55 PM
He also kept loads of hens in a shed, which is why they called him King Henry.

cool
11-06-2007, 10:39 PM
from this I can deduce that pope john 23rd had 23 wives. He must have been sh....d out!

K_Oranj
12-06-2007, 01:55 AM
Ha! 11 out of 10 for wit there SWP ... you nearly got me ...... DOG EGGS!!!!!!!!!

However you won't believe how close your remarks are to the bullseye. In a twist of irony I am actually privy to some details of an 'under-development' game codenamed "Quantum Quiz". Pipeline marketing blurb reads 'revolutionary new logic in quiz entertainment'. This hints at the fact that the usual rules of everyday quizzing won't apply.

And in a mind-bogglingly improbabilistic manner your example question lies within its database! You hit upon its encrypted form of course; decrypted the question reads:

Q. Is the answer to the next question correct?

A. Yes
B. No
C. Both of the above

In a nod to Erwin Schrodinger, I believe the developers of this particular wonder have coined the term 'cat eggs'.

CAT EGGS or DOG EGGS? Whatever the case, it's reigning far too many 'bugs' indeed - Millionaire example to follow some time ... probably.

WaterGate
12-06-2007, 07:21 AM
I reiterate. Lazy, lazy, lazy platypus eggs! :shock:

Istenem
28-06-2007, 10:35 AM
here is a little tale of woe:

in waxy's little sister yesterday with a pint and fifty pee for the titbox. i spent it on WU and got an unremarkable 17xx for two pounds. realised that the pint was foul so i argued with the barman for a while. he insisted it was fine but i drink enough booze to know what is acceptable and what is not. anyway he eventually replaces it with another from "a fine selection of draught ales".

saw the commentator jonathan pearce outside. he is very large.

back to the machine to collect my two pieces of treasure and i mess around on gloomy titbox offerings like DMAC's IS and various other uninspiring games while drinking a better (but still far from good) pint. after various dregs of £1 here and there i become thoroughly bored of the selection and revert to the only edifying game, WU. but after i agreed that there is no tournament blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, it shuts out to the default screen :?

i try again and the same thing happens. now, i have encountered xxitboxes where the WU doesn't work from the start but never one i have played once and then it refuses to let me back in within 20 minutes.
surely i can't have killed it by taking two pictures of the Queen out?

or is this something altogether more sinister? (?)

QuizMaster
28-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Since when has Bambi been a fucking reindeer?

You know who you are industry watchers.

dangerous
28-06-2007, 12:21 PM
here is a little tale of woe:

but after i agreed that there is no tournament blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, it shuts out to the default screen :?

It's happened to me a few times. Haven't yet found a way to get back on it. I reckon its something to do with the memory i.e. if you go back on a game you've recently been on it should already be loaded.

QuizMaster
03-07-2007, 11:22 PM
More wank from the kings of shit questions' ratification:

Who had a hit with Every Thorn Has Its Rose?

(Yes I know I got it right, but Christ who actually pays these people?)

What does 'Guten Tag' mean in English?

Which of these was an 'Ordinary' hit for Duran Duran?

I will not grace these fuckwits with the actual answers. Let them search their own databases for their inadequacies.

Note: Question writers: Please send your proof reading fees to Quizmaster c/o fruitchat.co.uk

Dolan
07-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Which of these was NOT one of the A Team?

Hannibal Smith
B. A. Baracus
The Face

Northern Monkey
08-08-2007, 07:31 AM
Which of these was NOT one of the A Team?

Hannibal Smith
B. A. Baracus
The Face

Agree that this is not the best question but seen it before and I thought he was called Faceman abbreviated to Face but never The Face?

QuizMaster
09-10-2007, 05:25 PM
New games, same dipshit question writers:

Who replaced Brian Clough as manager of Manchester United?

It wants Frank Clark as the answer.

I am continually amazed that some people are let loose on writing questions for these games.

rogerthymes
09-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Apparently Steven Gately was in take that!
And the lighthouse family sang the Life Of Riley...it's actually just about impossible to remember all the mistakes in the new TOTP. When I first started playing about 4 or 5 years ago I would insist the pub rang up the manufacturer to complain if the machine got just about anything wrong - can't arsed now but TOTP is worth staying away from.

Properpro
09-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Can't disagree with this thread, Christ knows I've seen enough 'wrong stuff', but most of it just makes me laugh. I don't think the game makers care enough to give a .... :roll:

WaterGate
10-10-2007, 06:40 AM
Disney took the liberty of changing Bambi's species into a white-tailed deer from his original species of roe deer, since roe deer don't inhabit the United States, and the white-tailed deer is more familiar to Americans.

dm
10-10-2007, 04:33 PM
I know it's been mentioned before but I like the way that Football Crazy (and now Itbox Soccer) can't handle accents. Like

LIVERPOOL MANAGER - BEN TEZ

SOUTHAMPTON PLAYER - AUGUST N DELGADO

Someone's obviously just cut and pasted squad lists in without engaging brain

ZAX
19-10-2007, 10:16 AM
TOTP, as mentioned elsewhere, is the game this thread was created for. Heres two from last night:-

I got asked who had a hit with D.I.S.C.O. in 1980

Very next question-

Ottowan had a hit in 1980 with D.I.S.C. :-

A. C
B. G
C. R

Still singing D.I.S.C.C. when up comes

Which Tom is missing from this list of the Travelling Wilburys-
Bob Dylan, George Harison, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty:-

A Tom Petty
B Tom Robinson
C Tom Jones

They must have been in a rush to get this one out...

Hangmanfan
19-10-2007, 01:44 PM
BULLSEYE:

Which of these capital cities does not sit on a river?
A. Valletta
B. Ljubljana
C. Budapest

I once read that Madrid was the only European capital city not sitting on a river, so imagine my dismay when these choices came up.

Was this question 'shit' or my Madrid source incorrect? (Correct answer was Valletta by the way).

grecian
19-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Was this question 'shit' or my Madrid source incorrect? (Correct answer was Valletta by the way).

Madrid's on the Manzanares, I think, although it's a pretty minor river. IIRC it flows under one of the stands at Atletico Madrid.

QuizMaster
06-12-2007, 07:42 PM
I have a new all time favourite:

Which of these artistic periods came first?

Impressionism

So should you 'Take It' or 'Leave It'?

Answers on a postcard please....

Cardinal Sin
06-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Good one :D

Reminds of the question: Which city is the odd one out?

ROSSKEEN
13-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Good one :D

Reminds of the question: Which city is the odd one out?

I just had this on Bullseye for the third time in 6 games. I believe the answer it wants is London. Ive never had the 'full' question with an extra option though.

QuizMaster
13-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Goldenballs has joined the ranks of lacksadaisical proof readers:

Q/ Which Oscars did 'Braveheart' win?

A/ Best Actor & Best Film
B/ Best Film & Best Screenplay
C/ Best Film & Best Director
D/ Best Director and Best Film

C was the answer.

grecian
13-06-2008, 03:49 PM
I've no examples that I can recall, but Jiggy Bank's question set appears to have been done in something of a rush - I've spotted quite a few silly errors.

Nil Satis
13-06-2008, 03:54 PM
One that annoyed me on Jiggy Bank was:

Question - Which Australian actress won the 2005 Oscar for Best Performance?

Answer - Hilary Swank (born Lincoln, Nebraska)

grecian
13-06-2008, 04:24 PM
One that annoyed me on Jiggy Bank was:

Question - Which Australian actress won the 2005 Oscar for Best Performance?

Answer - Hilary Swank (born Lincoln, Nebraska)

Yes, that's definitely one of the ones I saw. My film knowledge is sufficiently shaky for my reaction to be "didn't know she's Australian - interesting" rather than "that's wrong!" though!

cp999
13-06-2008, 10:20 PM
I've no examples that I can recall, but Jiggy Bank's question set appears to have been done in something of a rush - I've spotted quite a few silly errors.

Yes, the standard seems quite appalling, tbh.

Love the true/false typo question on Golden Boot pertaining to the bid of "7 on trumps" (sic), and true for Henry Miller (not Henry James, that would be far too erudite) wrote "Daisy Miller".

Properpro
13-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Love the true/false typo question on Golden Boot pertaining to the bid of "7 on trumps" (sic), and true for Henry Miller (not Henry James, that would be far too erudite) wrote "Daisy Miller".

You play Golden Boot?!? :?

cp999
13-06-2008, 10:45 PM
On old paragons in moments of boredom (or 50p spare credit). Actually it's not THAT bad (Golden Boot 2 seems dreadful). Quite possible to get £5-£10 for not too much work when it's amenable. It was on itbox at one point but I can't say I miss it. I do recall hearing a rumour a while back that someone was able to do it fully, btw.

Properpro
14-06-2008, 07:32 AM
I do recall hearing a rumour a while back that someone was able to do it fully, btw.

At one time Golden Boot had a very small bank. It was very doable for those who didn't mind the extreme tedium of the process and was indeed the subject of pro player attack. Some of us had much bigger fish to fry. :wink:

cp999
14-06-2008, 09:46 AM
I do recall hearing a rumour a while back that someone was able to do it fully, btw.

At one time Golden Boot had a very small bank. It was very doable for those who didn't mind the extreme tedium of the process and was indeed the subject of pro player attack. Some of us had much bigger fish to fry. :wink:

I am quite sure of the last sentence! ;) Incidentally the true/falses seem to match those on Blackjack (now reincarnated on Opens).

ZAX
14-06-2008, 01:39 PM
I know its old news now but TOTP as I recalled above had some other gems:

Izzy Stradlin formed the 'Velvet Underground' in 2002.. :lol: Not only that but there was another q that had the VU has one of the answers...

And U2 has how many members

A. 4
B. 5
C. 6

Answer- 5 :lol:

cp999
14-06-2008, 09:10 PM
I know its old news now but TOTP as I recalled above had some other gems:

Izzy Stradlin formed the 'Velvet Underground' in 2002.. :lol: Not only that but there was another q that had the VU has one of the answers...

Ah, doubtless the same band to which "New Reed" belonged on the long-forgotten (and much missed, by me at least) Skilltrek. There truly were some gem fouled-up questions on old Barcrests.. I've probably already mentioned the "how many ounces has an octahedron?" one as it is one of my alltime favourites.

Nil Satis
17-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Another gem from Jiggy Bank - Sir Francis Drake set sail in 1577 in ... the Cutty Sark. :roll:

A much more annoying one, in that it cost me a chance at a WWTBAM £20 - the Spice Girls Christmas No. 1 in 1998 wasn't Goodbye apparently. I've no idea what the "correct" answer is.

Scott
17-06-2008, 03:27 PM
goodbye is right according too this

http://www.everyhit.com/christmasnumber1.html

Properpro
03-07-2008, 07:48 AM
From Bullseye: In what month of November was President Kennedy killed? :)

Matt Vinyl
03-07-2008, 07:56 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now, let me think. Septober? Octember? Nowonder? ;)

Properpro
03-07-2008, 08:05 AM
The correct answer is there!!! :D

betchrider
03-07-2008, 10:43 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now, let me think. Septober? Octember? Nowonder? ;)
Septembruary

Vidmar
04-07-2008, 09:54 PM
On DOND:

"Generally, what does the abbreviation 'FTP' stand for?"

I couldn't see the correct answer...

rogerthymes
05-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Another gem from Jiggy Bank - Sir Francis Drake set sail in 1577 in ... the Cutty Sark. :roll:

I've had that question so many times I just presumed it was true though I thought it a bit odd at first!
Gotta love the jiggy bank though - firstly for the occasional £24 (five times now I think) and secondly as people are always coming up to me and asking 'what game is that?!' as it squeaks away under my digitary manipulation...

Nil Satis
08-07-2008, 01:11 PM
I had a particularly nasty one yesterday on Jiggy Bank which, for all its good points, does have an alarmingly large set of wrong answers. I had battled to one question away from a tricky target, with one Try Again left, and although I probably wouldn't have been on for two really worthwhile picks it would have at least felt more of an achievement than an easy 2000-ish target. The question to reach the target was:

Q. Which of these pop stars is the oldest?

A. Suzanne Vega
B. Sting
C. Simon Le Bon

I went for Sting which I thought must be the right answer, but that was wrong so went for Suzanne Vega and that was wrong as well. Although Suzanne Vega (born 1959) is in fact the youngest, apparently Simon Le Bon (born 1958) is older than Sting (born 1951). :shock:

If ItBoxes had necks I would have happily wrung its little neck at that point...

Northern Monkey
08-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Is the Ostrich really the second fastest animal? I thought not which cost me £48 at lunchtime.

Matt Vinyl
08-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Ouch!!! £48? Dare I ask on which game / terminal? :(

Istenem
08-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Is the Ostrich really the second fastest animal?

this was in the Times the other day (they have started doing top tens which are quite handy.) but it wasn't ostrich.

i'm fairly confident that after the cheetah is thompson's gazelle. iirc.

either way that is an inopportune time for misinformation, hard lines.

Properpro
08-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Is the Ostrich really the second fastest animal? I thought not which cost me £48 at lunchtime.

I'm bemused, what single game cost you that much money? (I want to play it!)

dmac
09-07-2008, 03:43 AM
xyz

Northern Monkey
09-07-2008, 06:46 AM
trying to double up after winning £24 on the 50p jiggy?

if so i'm impressed

Was £1 jiggy - did I err in going for the double then (not withstanding the fact that I got the last Q 'wrong') ?

Northern Monkey
09-07-2008, 07:00 AM
On the subject of another bug I am 75% sure that the double money bully double I played last night seemed to nick an extra £1 or two off me. Has this been 'over-chipped' to compensate for the original version so that it now robs you blind rather than gives you an extra bonus sum.

Can't remember the exact maths but it was something like I started with £4 in the bank, got £4 on the board; gambled for another £4 and ended up with £8? Surely should have been £10? :?

Anyone else seen this (it was a gameswarehouse which replaced an itbox in a slug) just yesterday afternoon- fortunately not the same itbox as the subject of my previous post which I had to leave 'buzzed up' to go to a meeting.

dmac
09-07-2008, 07:09 AM
xyz

Nil Satis
09-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Was £1 jiggy - did I err in going for the double then (not withstanding the fact that I got the last Q 'wrong')?

Not really - it's a fair gamble in that the three questions aren't usually out and out stinkers (unlike say the 'Get Out Of Jail' True/Falses on Monopoly). It's always a personal choice of course but I would normally gamble unless the total offered was over say £30, which is a decent enough prize anyway.

Anyone else seen this (it was a gameswarehouse which replaced an itbox in a slug)

If by gameswarehouse you mean a Paragon Pro then welcome to the wonderful world of Paragons:

- 80% is dross

- the 20% that are decent games are coded to play worse than on other cabinets (Caesar's Palace, Deal Or No Deal, Trivia for Dummies etc)

- a special bonus offer of bugs: (i) the 'collecting too quick meaning you lose it all' bug (ii) one or possibly two minor bugs on Deal Or No Deal (wins of less than £1 being lost, another separate one where I think it takes £1 off your winnings) (iii) a Bullseye bug which you may have uncovered

I tell you - if those things are the future we are all DOOMED...

Northern Monkey
09-07-2008, 11:18 AM
[quote="Nil Satis"]

It's always a personal choice of course but I would normally gamble unless the total offered was over say £30, which is a decent enough prize anyway.
[quote]

Aye and once you go over £25 the risk reward changes as no longer doubling up.

Nil Satis
09-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Precisely. I have had totals very close to both JPs (£25 and £50) and then it is a no-brainer to decide not to go for the gamble.

I have also just had one instance of the initial total actually being over the JP, i.e. £52 from three picks on the £1 game, when obviously I wasn't offered the gamble at all. It did technically do me out of that extra £2 I suppose but I didn't feel like complaining too hard! :wink:

grecian
09-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Have to admit I've (successfully) gambled a £32 to JP on the £1 Jiggy game, which was greedy of me.

Istenem
31-07-2008, 08:57 PM
MOLYBDENUM spelled wrong. ffs.

echoes
04-08-2008, 08:03 PM
DOND

: USA
: Russia
: South Africa

Properpro
04-08-2008, 08:11 PM
DOND

Incorrect answers? 'Nuff said!! :?

harry13.50
29-08-2008, 04:32 AM
Not sure if this is a bug or not but on the bullseye in my local, when you win say £2 and go to gamble to bullys star prize ( usually for £5) it makes you pay a extra £1 for the privilege, even though it only costs 50p for each game.So your risking the £2 already won and having to stick another quid in just to " gamble " for 101 or more.

Is this the norm ?

QuizMaster
29-08-2008, 06:45 AM
I think you'll find that you're playing the version that costs £1 to play.

grecian
29-08-2008, 01:44 PM
What's the most out-of-date question anyone's seen? I was asked a question today about which of three tube stations was located on the Central Line? The right answer, which luckily I was able to correctly identify as being "least wrong" was Blake Hall. Blake Hall station closed permanently in 1981 (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake_Hall_tube_station) thus making this question an amazing 27 years out of date; the question would have been five years out of date if it had been used on the very first quiz machine! Who sets this rubbish? Where on earth do they get a question like that?

Nil Satis
29-08-2008, 02:44 PM
It must have been a really happening place mind you:

"The station subsequently became known as the least used on the entire Underground ... Blake Hall station was located a considerable distance from any substantial settlement. By the time it was closed on 31 October 1981, the station was reported to have only six passengers a day."

A slightly different case but the anachronism of having Francis Drake sailing round the world (completed 1580) on the Cutty Sark (launched 1869) that is a regular question on Jiggy Bank must take some beating!

grecian
29-08-2008, 02:58 PM
To be fair to Blake Hall, at least it's in the arse-end of nowhere. Aldwych station, which was located about as centrally as it's possible to get in central London, had under 400 passengers per day when it closed in 1994, which I always think is amazing!

Nil Satis
29-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Indeed. An Aldwych farce.

David Healy
29-08-2008, 08:23 PM

Quizmaster, I realise you probably don't bother with the 50p game on the SSG version, but the gamble does actually cost a pound even though the game is only 50p.

QuizMaster
29-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Ah I stand corrected. Only muppets play the 50p SSG version to be fair

QuizMaster
29-08-2008, 11:25 PM
Seen today on Blockbusters Version 5 (or however many fucking times thev're tried re doing it):

What was Shakespeare's last play?

The Tempest
Romeo & Juliet
Henry VIII

Well blow me if he didn't write Henry VIII on his death bed!!

harry13.50
30-08-2008, 01:07 AM

No am not ! defo playing it on 50p but if i want to got for the star prize, it wants a quid of me just for the gamble.Done it again tonight,won £1 , start prize was for £3 but i had to put that extra £1 in again.

harry13.50
30-08-2008, 01:09 AM

whats the advantage on playing it on £1 play then ?

cool
30-08-2008, 08:38 AM
play it and see for goodness sake, youll be asking for quizmaster to play it for you soon. :!:

QuizMaster
30-08-2008, 09:55 AM

You can win twice as much. Or maybe not in your case.

harry13.50
31-08-2008, 12:31 AM

You can win twice as much. Or maybe not in your case.

Your " wit " cracks me up Mr Superior.

harry13.50
31-08-2008, 12:37 AM
play it and see for goodness sake, youll be asking for quizmaster to play it for you soon. :!:

er, no i wont.

GaryChandler
31-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Quizmaster thinks he the man

QuizMaster
31-08-2008, 11:44 AM

The clue's in the name

harry13.50
01-09-2008, 01:59 AM

The clue's in the name

What MT QUIZ ARSE ?

mr lugsy
01-09-2008, 07:05 AM
:D ,convenient anagram

WaterGate
02-09-2008, 07:00 AM
Splahh? Sounds like a case of the chippy, chip, chip chips? Or could it be the 'light wavelength between 520–570 nm' monster? Sploough.

:|

blackmogu
02-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Came across a strange bug/bad question on bullseye yesterday - got a question with 2 options asking:

"Which is the odd one out ?"

Indeed.

Nil Satis
02-09-2008, 11:33 AM
That happens a lot when questions that were written for games with 3/4 options are used in the early part of games where you only get 2 answers to pick from in the early stages - Deal or No Deal, Jiggy Bank and Trivial Pursuit being other examples that spring to mind.

A similar issue crops up occasionally when questions that were written with 3 possible answers are used in games where there are always 4 answers and they simply repeat one of the 3 answers so that there is a duplicate.

K_Oranj
03-09-2008, 12:10 AM
Yeah, duplicate options aren't normally a problem, and sometimes might prove helpful, that is unless it's the bleedin' answer that's dopplegangered.

Millionaire 2008:

Which country does the 2006/07 Premiership footballer Hatem Trabelsi come from?

..... with two 'Tunisia' options! ('TWOnisia' then, sorry couldn't resist it).

Wasted a 50/50 on that.

djs
10-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Was playing Spot the Difference deluxe yesterday, won £4 (didn't beat ash83's top score though).
I pressed collect, and the machine did nothing. Pressed Collect again, and the machine freezes completely.
Told the bar staff the machine had froze, so they restarted it, called a techie and didn't give me the £4!

Used the same machine a bit later, and it took its time to pay out, but eventually did.
No idea what was causing the problem, maybe a conflict with the hopper.

djs (aka 'bob' if your playing STD)

dmac
11-09-2008, 05:05 AM
xyz

djs
11-09-2008, 10:09 AM
I don't think so.
It was one of the new Paragon Pro machines, the one with the massive widescreen.
STD is on most of the games machines, paragon, ind:e, gamesnet, itbox?

Matt Vinyl
11-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Technically, not a bug, but an annoyance all the same. It may be old news now, but I fell foul of it a couple of months back and I saw someone fall the same way last night.

ParagonPro, be wary of those with a sticker stating "Insert note, £2 to be played, remaining can be played or collected." (Or something very similar). On the insertion of a £20 (!) this poor chap had to play the entire amount before he could claim anything back...! Even though on the screen it clearly shows the remaining funds in the 'Bank' segment. :(

I did the same with a tenner a while back and actually made a profit in the end (albeit of about £2) from playing DOND / Bully / TP / CnR - but that's not the point! ;)

Nil Satis
11-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Was playing Spot the Difference deluxe yesterday, won £4 (didn't beat ash83's top score though).
I pressed collect, and the machine did nothing. Pressed Collect again, and the machine freezes completely.
Told the bar staff the machine had froze, so they restarted it, called a techie and didn't give me the £4!

Technically, not a bug, but an annoyance all the same. It may be old news now, but I fell foul of it a couple of months back and I saw someone fall the same way last night.

This failure to pay out on the Paragon Pros would count as a bug in most people's eyes, Matt! The worst part of it is that the unpaid bank value disappears when switching off and on again, which makes it hard to convince even the most helpful barman/landlord unless they actually confirm the amount in the bank before you switch the machine off.

The only advice is to wait for 5-10 seconds on returning to the menu screen before pressing Collect, although even that isn't foolproof. It's a good job I suppose that Gameswarehouse still haven't thought of the novel concept of adding a really decent game to their menus, otherwise this would turn into more than just a minor annoyance...

Matt Vinyl
11-09-2008, 10:49 AM
This failure to pay out on the Paragon Pros would count as a bug in most people's eyes, Matt!

I suppose you're right - although it did pay out after all the credits had been used up from the initially inserted note. At best, the notices should be changed to say that any note entered will be fully commited to credit. :?

Nil Satis
11-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Just to clear up the confusion Matt, there are two separate problems here:

(1) The 'failure to payout' bug

This arises when pressing Collect on returning to the main menu after winning a prize on one of the games. It isn't related to whether or not you have put a note in for your credits and it was this bug that djs was referring to in the original post

(2) The 'holding on to all of a note's value' bug

I can't think I've seen this but then I don't think I've ever put a note in a Paragon - I always carry change and only put a note in a quiz machine when the coin mechanism is faulty and I'd only do that if I knew there would be worthwhile pickings to be had from the machine, which (as I've made clear on here once or twice :wink: ) is rarely the case on Paragons...

Matt Vinyl
11-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Ah, that clarifies things, it was certainly number 2 in this case. As in, you should be able to play your £2 and regardless of whether you win anything, collect your remaining funds (£3 / £8 / £18(!)) at that point.

dmac
11-09-2008, 02:41 PM
xyz

Nil Satis
07-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Life's minor irritations part 1378:

The Fastest Finger First question on Celebrity Millionaire that asks:

Put this film title in order:

A: LAMBS
B: SILENCE OF
C: THE
D: THE

Unlike the usual way these are laid out there is no way to distinguish between the two 'THE's and I reckon I've got this one 'wrong' at least 10 times in a row.

ZAX
08-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Blockbusters Gold Run

What do the English call a frying pan?

a. griddle
b. skillet
c. frying pan.

Not sure if this is a deliberate trick question tbh

Matt Vinyl
08-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Put this film title in order:

A: LAMBS
B: SILENCE OF
C: THE
D: THE

Bad design. :( By rights, they 'should' capitalise the first 'The', but well, that'd be too easy. :)

Nuts_4_nuts
08-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Blockbusters Gold Run:

What was the last play written by Shakespeare?

The Tempest
Henry VIII
Hamlet

Henry VIII apparently...

kingzilla
08-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Another complete waste of a licence, i don't know why anyone would want to play Super Goldrun anyway.
The thing is as most of you industry guys know not every question in the games database is checked, it only goes through so many games tested that not everything is picked up.