PDA

View Full Version : word up gossip

Pages : [1] 2 3

15-06-2005, 11:35 AM
The truth is that nobody does contribute, other than the occasional boast about word up

Oh come on, that's not fair.

Cambridge Arms, King's Street Run, Cambs - 1933pts, World Record Word Up score - GO SEE WITH YOUR OWN EYES AND MARVEL WITH YOUR OWN COMPARATIVELY FEEBLE BRAINS IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE!

:oops:

Watergate - as far as playing games for cash goes, if you can clear consistently on Word Up, you will be making a steady profit as the £1 points requirement stops at 1520.

STOP PRESS

The VB Word Up team will be coming to London some time next week for an away day session, if anyone fancies battling / mutual admiration of skills / proof that such wordgameplayingGodsamongmen truly exist.

This one-day migration has been prompted by the lack of local challenge - Cambridge teams have been long dispatched (ie. PETERHOUSE, WIZ, STETOM). PETERHOUSE and STETOM posses have even been met in FLESH and BLOOD - thus proving that other real quizzer players ACTUALLY EXIST *swoon*

We will also battle at / win filthy lucre on Sum Up (best score 2540 pts), if we can ACTUALLY FIND THE DAMN GAME ANYWHERE DAMMIT.

WaterGate
15-06-2005, 12:21 PM
Bloody Hell!!!!!! I give up! Good bye!

BigEd
16-06-2005, 06:48 AM
GO SEE WITH YOUR OWN EYES AND MARVEL WITH YOUR OWN COMPARATIVELY FEEBLE BRAINS IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE
I wasn't being derogatory to you VB, or any other of the Word up players. I do actually believe your scores. I was using the word "boast" correctly;
"boast verb : to speak proudly or happily about what you have done or what you own"

Having said that, I still don't play Word Up, and I still think that it is a pile of cack.

Each to our own. At least my comments have prompted a healthy debate if nothing else. :D

Ed.

tka
25-06-2005, 11:31 AM
I noticed the name VAGINALBOB halfway up the leaderboard on word-up in the wetherspoons on leicester square yesterday. best word QUALITIES? pah. BTW I am WHOOPS. LUXURIATED beat that!

JG
26-06-2005, 12:00 AM
You want to play 'Sum up' (nasty game!)

Try Stafford Services.

>>BLOOP!<<

27-06-2005, 12:53 PM
I noticed the name VAGINALBOB halfway up the leaderboard on word-up in the wetherspoons on leicester square yesterday. best word QUALITIES? pah. BTW I am ISTENEM. LUXURIATED beat that!

Ah yes - The Moon Under Water.

That was one of the many places we visited on our day out in London. We were playing primarily for cash, so didn't go for huge scores in most pubs.
The touch screen in the Wetherspoons was also absolutely gash, so we left
the place sharpish.

However, we did lay down a 1780 in a pub just off Leicester Square (unconfirmed London record) and removed DAVEJON from 9/10 high score berths with 12 clearances on their home territory (11 more than they seem to have managed): The Rocket on Euston Road.

We didn't manage to do much to their high score word /long word lists - the heroic JUXTAPOSITIONS and two QUIZZICALLYs remain at the top.

We also defeated UCL's scores in their student union, thus winning another inter-university tie (having defeated Oxford a couple of months ago).

Final results - we played 108 games and won 75 quid.

Didn't notice much ISTENEM. Tell us where your home turf is - we'll lay seige to it next time we visit.

tka
27-06-2005, 08:06 PM
yeah the touchscreen is rubbish in there.
WHOOPS is not my only name though, i vary.
my 'hood is the west end of the west end of London, decent returns there it helps that the only other players are tourists, STEVEWor HYENA. HULLHULL (who used to post here) is on a few of them too and the occasional DAVJOHN.

28-06-2005, 12:25 PM
I pop in the UCL union every now and again during my lunchbreak, but on my own. My scores aren't great but I think Word-Up is very much a two-player game.
I think they had 3 machines in there last time I was in, all on different floors, so I'll have a look out for the 'Cambridge Massive'.
I'm a bit disturbed to learn that you know exactly how many games you played that night (108). Was one of you taking notes?

I'm still convinced it's the best quiz game around though. I've been playing it for a number of months now and it's still the first thing I look for when I enter a pub. That said, there's nothing more annoying than getting 5 'Q's and only 2 'U's which does seem to happen rather too often. I remember some guy on the old thread printed a list of words with q's but no u's. I tried FAQIR to no avail and gave up trying any others. Did anyone else have any success?

HullHull

johnnyg
28-06-2005, 12:29 PM
if you download certain versions of "scrabble" for P.C. they have lists of q's without u's and other ambiguous word oddities!

Istenem
28-06-2005, 01:26 PM
is the ucl bar open to the public? i work near there occasionally.

the too-many useless Qs is annoying but what gets on my dandruff is that there seem to be so many words the machine doesn't know: zinnia and zebu for example and jete and aquae and ixia and God knows how many more.

i am getting closer to my personal goal of getting a 20 letter word (am up to 14 of them in sequence now). when i get it (make no mistake she will be mine) i wil post the location and you can all hail the mighty me.

i assume if you wanted to get an edge over the competition you could download the game from pinkfizz whatever it's called and extract the wordlist. (if anybody can be bothered to do this i demand a copy cos it was my idea)

one other question:
has anyone taken the time to work out the multiplication of scores depending on word length?

28-06-2005, 02:14 PM
20 letters? Blimey. That would be worth seeing.

As far as I can tell, the score of a word is based on:

(1st letter score x word length)+(2nd letter score x word length) and so on.

So the word 'ALL'

would score

(1x3)+(5x3)+(5x3) = 33pts.

but I could be wrong. It seems to fit the words I've looked at.

Or alternatively it's just the total sum of the letters' points x the word length.

Istenem
28-06-2005, 02:30 PM
cheers HH, your reply makes sense i'd been thinking too linearly. can anyone verify? VB?
will keep the board posted if i manage the 20. if the computer doesn't recognise the word i will be very, very pissed off.

Demmerz
28-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Some Q's without U's:

8. QINDARKA SHEQELUM

7. BUQSHAS QINDARS QINTARS QIVIUTS QWERTYS

6. BUQSHA FAQIRS QANATS QINDAR QINTAR QIVIUT QWERTY SHEQEL TRANQS UMIAQS

5. FAQIR QAIDS QANAT QOPHS TRANQ UMIAQ

4. QAID QATS QOPH SUQS

3. QAT SUQ

tka
28-06-2005, 10:39 PM
Those may be good in Scrabble but, I don't think they are allowed on Word Up. as UKPS says the dict is limited which is a pity.

29-06-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm still willing to give them a go, but I take the point that the vocab on Word-Up is limited.

In answer to UnknownPseudonym's question, technically you do need a student ID to get into UCL union but there's never anyone checking until around 6 o'clock in the evening so you should be fine on lunchtimes.
I don't have one either.

Istenem
29-06-2005, 01:28 PM
ta. i'll pop in one day next week. i've not got anywhere near my 20 letters yet, 10 was my best today. SUREFOOTED.

Ernest W. Quality
29-06-2005, 03:34 PM
However, we did lay down a 1780 in a pub just off Leicester Square (unconfirmed London record)

It was actually 1787 in "The Sussex".

and removed DAVEJON from 9/10 high score berths with 12 clearances on their home territory (11 more than they seem to have managed): The Rocket on Euston Road. We didn't manage to do much to their high score word /long word lists - the heroic JUXTAPOSITIONS and two QUIZZICALLYs remain at the top.

Their longest/biggest-scoring word boards were impressive, but I think its because they don't go anywhere else to play. In the pub just round the corner, the board was crap and we rinsed the machine. Also the fact they had only cleared once suggest their tactics are poor, and they are playing solely for the glory of finding a giant word.

I pop in the UCL union every now and again during my lunchbreak, but on my own. My scores aren't great but I think Word-Up is very much a two-player game.
I think they had 3 machines in there last time I was in, all on different floors, so I'll have a look out for the 'Cambridge Massive'. I'm a bit disturbed to learn that you know exactly how many games you played that night (108). Was one of you taking notes?

We only saw one machine in UCL, maybe we should have snooped around a bit more. We took notes mainly to remember which pubs had decent scores etc, but also to see if we could win our train fare back. Since you only win 50p a time, and the game lasts 2 minutes, you could only make 15 quid an hour if you played fast and won every time, so we would have needed three hours continuous winning to recoup the train fare. But we wasted a lot of time looking in pubs that didn't have a machine. Probably do better next time.

the too-many useless Qs is annoying but what gets on my dandruff is that there seem to be so many words the machine doesn't know: zinnia and zebu for example and jete and aquae and ixia and God knows how many more.

The dictionary is quite annoying, as you often get a nice word that it inexplicably denies... however, there are the occasional bonus "words" like LBW. Obviously the more words it allows the easier it would be.

i am getting closer to my personal goal of getting a 20 letter word (am up to 14 of them in sequence now). when i get it (make no mistake she will be mine) i wil post the location and you can all hail the mighty me.

It may not accept the word... I thought of trying electroencephalograph but can't ever seem to see the right letters together to make it worth a go. Other big z words like Razzledazzle, Razzmatazz, Tizzwozz, Mozzarella, Paparazzi, Piazzolla may be accepted (it does accept Pizzazz) .

i assume if you wanted to get an edge over the competition you could download the game from pinkfizz whatever it's called and extract the wordlist. (if anybody can be bothered to do this i demand a copy cos it was my idea)

It isn't the same word list though... the PuzzleWord list is a bit more American I think, and probably longer. It doesn't accept things like Luv, but does accept Greek letters (zeta, psi, etc)..

one other question: has anyone taken the time to work out the multiplication of scores depending on word length?

(Scrabble score + length bonus) x (word length)
where Scrabble score means the sum of the points for each letter, and the length bonus increases per letter, can't remember exactly what it is.

tka
29-06-2005, 08:44 PM
However, we did lay down a 1780 in a pub just off Leicester Square (unconfirmed London record).

not on my watch.

Istenem
30-06-2005, 11:07 AM
good post EWQ.

quote 2: as i see it there are several ways to play this game, as you say, playing for profit is not financially rewarding (used to be though, £200 in a day was easy).
DAVEJON seem to play for kudos within their own boozer, their tactics may be poor by your own criteria but by theirs they are very successful.

quote 5: well it jolly well had better accept my word. it is in any dictionary worth its keep. but surely PZAZZ (if it's even a word) is spelt my way.

quote 6: mmm. the wordlist on PW is ENABLE which is a massive computer file and couldn't load quickly enough on itbox, seems WU must use something else. does anyoone know what?

quote 7: any idea how the "length bonus" works?

Ernest W. Quality
30-06-2005, 12:39 PM
quote 2: as i see it there are several ways to play this game, as you say, playing for profit is not financially rewarding (used to be though, £200 in a day was easy).
DAVEJON seem to play for kudos within their own boozer, their tactics may be poor by your own criteria but by theirs they are very successful.

If you can find a machine that still gives £20 for clearing the grid, then we're in business. I say their tactics are poor because its obvious that clearing the grid is far more likely to give you money than making one giant word, on average. Since the pound mark never seems to go past 1520, clearing almost guarantees the win.

quote 5: well it jolly well had better accept my word. it is in any dictionary worth its keep. but surely PZAZZ (if it's even a word) is spelt my way.

There are certainly a lot of v. long words that it might accept, but I think its only worthwhile for the personal satisfaction of having the longest word. Pizzazz is a standard word, different spellings may work too. The good thing about my way of spelling it is that if you fcuk it up you can still maybe get Pizza or Piazza.

quote 7: any idea how the "length bonus" works?

Yes, its 0 for 3 or 4 letter words, 1 for 5 or 6, 2 for 7 or 8, etc.
(maybe not exactly this but I worked it out once and have forgotten - if you can remember what specific words and letters are worth, you can work it out).

Istenem
30-06-2005, 01:00 PM
there must be some out-of-the-way pubs with the old, old version of WU ripe for picking, last i heard there were still 2 in glasgow uni.

are the length bonuses really that low? so my 20 letter word is only going to score me 8 measly bonus points? that is really mean.

Ernest W. Quality
30-06-2005, 01:19 PM
are the length bonuses really that low? so my 20 letter word is only going to score me 8 measly bonus points? that is really mean.

Maybe they go up more for longer words. And its 8 bonus times the length remember.

Ernest W. Quality
30-06-2005, 02:35 PM
So to sumarise VB and his chum(s) spent a day in London playing Turd Up and spent £54 (108 * 50p) to win £75.

It was more of an exploratory outing. We were hoping to find some places that still had £20 for clearing the grid, in which case we would have made a big sackful of coins. Without the jackpot, there is no money in Word Up, as even if you can clear every time consistently, you will make only at most 50p profit every two minutes (once the level has been pushed to maximum difficulty), i.e. £15 an hour.

30-06-2005, 03:05 PM
So if there's no money in Word-Up generally (and there isn't) , then surely long-word tactics are just as valid as big scores ones? It's just another high-score table after all...
I don't find it too difficult to clear a board but I do find it hard to make really long words, which is why I admire players like DaveJon more than others.

Ernest W. Quality
30-06-2005, 03:40 PM
So when you (or your chum VB - if you aren't VB in disguise) wrote "we were playing primarily for cash" you weren't exactly telling the whole truth.

Well what he meant was, when we got there, we would just take the pound each time we got to it, rather than keep going for an honourably large score, since we were going round lots of different places anyway.

I'll give you a clue on how to save 50p in most pubs - if there is a cable (other than the mains lead) coming out the back of the machine - it's connected. This means all the games that have easy wins in them - like Turd Up will have been removed or updated.

True enough, but we generally just stopped to get a few quid anyway. After all, as we are playing mainly for entertainment, we didn't want to just be walking around London peering in pub windows.

So if there's no money in Word-Up generally (and there isn't) , then surely long-word tactics are just as valid as big scores ones? It's just another high-score table after all...

I still think that the most points board is the best indication of overall ability, and getting 1520 regularly is the only way to consistently win the pound on the same machine. Finding long/big words is nice too and we're always on the lookout, but unless its a real mammoth I don't think its worthwhile to spend a whole go making it. Making a very good word and still leaving the grid in a nice shape to clear is difficult, and if we go by DaveJon's scoreboard at The Rocket, they only managed it once. To be honest, their overall scores were very low compared to the words, I mean, if you get Quizzically for 616, and still don't get 1200 points overall, that's pretty weak. To get 2000 points you need to clear AND get some very big words, which is the real challenge. You also need to maintain a good average with lots of medium length 6,7,8 words, rather than one 12, and then the rest 3,4,5.

DaveJon's good words board was very impressive, but less so when we found that they hadn't gone out anywhere else. If you compiled all our good words onto one board, it would be similar.

As our home turf is Cambridge, where the majority of college and pub machines are regularly reset (and high scores lost), its not good for us to build an immense board in one place because it will just get wiped.

Istenem
01-07-2005, 11:36 AM
i agree with HH on this one. to my mind it is easier to clear the grid than get a monster word, ergo i think a score of 1520-1800 is so-what? whereas if i notice an elegant long word on the scoreboard (SWORDSMANSHIP, GUILLOTINED...) i am more impressed. each to their own. i have also noticed that some players play it a third way and try to fill the top score of words made.
btw i have abandoned my plans for a 20 letter word it just wasn't happening. i'm gonna try for 15 first and go from there.

just a side thought: would any of us still be playing this game in the pub if it didn't have the scoreboard? there is pride and competition in all of us, i don't think winning 50pence is what keeps us playing. as is posted elsewhere, if you want to win decent cash there are other games.

Ernest W. Quality
01-07-2005, 02:30 PM
i agree with HH on this one. to my mind it is easier to clear the grid than get a monster word, ergo i think a score of 1520-1800 is so-what?

But the point is that to get 2000 or above you need at least one killer word, and a good average word score, and a good shape to clear, so its all round challenging. Although to be fair, on my Puzzle Word scoreboard I have got for a lot more long words (e.g. Quintessentially. Multiplications, Equestrianism). BTW Puzzle word doesn't have the length bonus.

i have also noticed that some players play it a third way and try to fill the top score of words made.

This is basically playing fast and going for three letter words only, with only occasional tactics to get a q out or to break up some consonant clusters. The max poss is 39 X 3 letter words, our best attempt at this is 38, anyone seen a 39?

btw i have abandoned my plans for a 20 letter word it just wasn't happening. i'm gonna try for 15 first and go from there.

What was the word? Its best to have one that has the first/last X letters as a word too, incase you fcuk it up.

just a side thought: would any of us still be playing this game in the pub if it didn't have the scoreboard? there is pride and competition in all of us, i don't think winning 50pence is what keeps us playing. as is posted elsewhere, if you want to win decent cash there are other games.

True, although its still fairly entertaining, its more interesting to see how you compare with others. Shame there isn't an additional national scoreboard.

Istenem
01-07-2005, 02:57 PM
okay i'll agree with that, a score of 2000+ would be very impressive maybe they could reinstate the JP if anyone managed to do that.

frankly i couldn't give a tinker's cuss for most words. the fewer the better in my opinion.

the word was (and may be again): PSEUDOPSEUDONYMOUSLY. ;)

i like the idea of a national leaderboard, even if it was online.
(itbox could use it as a super T league game) it would get played more than what was in there before the format changed.)

Demmerz
01-07-2005, 03:06 PM
Ever got 'unknown' and 'pseudonym'? That would be good.

So is it better to get two long words (very rare you'll get the combination, then the order, then work it out, I know) or a number of 'mid range' words?

Istenem
01-07-2005, 03:15 PM
haven't got them on word up but GWHL's scrabble game has the words UNKNOWN, PSEUDONYM and TRIBUTE all next to each other.

as for length of words it is probably better (points-wise) to get many average words rather than one behemoth, but it depends on what you are looking to get out of yur game.

Ernest W. Quality
01-07-2005, 03:39 PM
the word was (and may be again): PSEUDOPSEUDONYMOUSLY. ;)

Surely that wouldn't be in there. Its prob better to go for more everyday words like INCOMPREHENSIBILITY or INCONSPICUOUSNESS, that might just be in the dictionary.

Maybe BOUNCEBACKABILITY will be in it.

Istenem
01-07-2005, 04:00 PM
fair enough maybe that post was a little oblique. but i did put a winky man in it.

09-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Shame there isn't an additional national scoreboard.

Agreed. Tho' many players may just give up when faced with the UK's top scores. The Peterhouse team, who we found had equal amounts of enthusiasm for the game, seemed to throw in the towel once we had topped their scores (and showed them how to clear the grid).

I dare say if we were faced with scores 200-300 pts above our best we might just say 'sod this for a game of soldiers' and do something else with our time.

May be better to have a national tourney instead, so players enter into the fray with egos unpunctured at the local level.

Looking forward to the next London meet, Ernest - hope you're keeping your hand in on PW...

Bob

Istenem
11-07-2005, 11:13 AM
15 achieved CONGRATULATIONS, 17 next.

any game with a hi score table is cosseting players' egos. the old photoplay machines had national tables so it is not beyond the wit of man. it must have been considered by itbox etc but for whatever reason it was abandoned. at ATEI in january itbox's prototype 'lounge' (which had a similar function as this) was fanfared but it has not been seen. (i think there is a thread about this lower down.)

btw. yes; i know that fanfared is not a word

15-07-2005, 10:59 AM
15 achieved CONGRATULATIONS, 17 next.

Sweet play.

We've now secured the towns of Ipswich, Harwich, Chelmsford and Colchester (beating old forum stalwart ScarletJim's score at the Marquis with a 1704).

A solo effort of 2453 on Sum Up at Harwich's Mariners Hotel Inn is a possible one player record.

Ernest W. Quality
04-08-2005, 02:49 PM
Sum Up perfection achieved by Sir E.W. Quality and DJ Hodge: we got the most valuable sum possible in the game: 9*9*9/8/7 = 459 (can also be done another distinct way (up to cycles)).

Ernest W. Quality
09-08-2005, 01:31 AM
A solo effort of 2453 on Sum Up at Harwich's Mariners Hotel Inn is a possible one player record.

A certain "EW Quality" got 2778 at the Cambridge Arms on his own. Just under world record standards though.

09-08-2005, 10:49 PM
A certain "EW Quality" got 2778 at the Cambridge Arms on his own. Just under world record standards though.

Damn you, Ernest, now how can I possibly provide a crushing riposte with no Sum Up in the vicinity of the homestead?

Ernest W. Quality
09-08-2005, 10:51 PM
You could call me a dick or something I suppose. But then I will just get 2800 and you will be vanquished.

Oh, and got that 459 sum again, this time in the Cam Arms.

11-08-2005, 01:42 AM
JUXTAPOSITIONS is 490 points

Ernest W. Quality
11-08-2005, 03:06 AM
How many points did you get from that grid overall?

Ernest W. Quality
14-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Damn you, Ernest, now how can I possibly provide a crushing riposte with no Sum Up in the vicinity of the homestead?

Got 2956 on Sum Up today. Yer ma...

Ernest W. Quality
15-08-2005, 03:46 AM
JUXTAPOSITIONS is 490 points

I thought it should be worth 504, or have I miscounted?

Istenem
27-09-2005, 08:57 AM
sorry to gatecrash the VB social.

was playing WU for about 20 minutes yesterday. the prize bar was around 1400 for £1. anyway.
i was left in one game with

_E
_A
OT

wanted TOEA (not sure if this is allowed)
so shuffled to

_E
_O
TA

anyway pressed the free word button (expecting TOE)
but it gave me OAT (and i am 99% sure that this word never used to be allowed).
so i deduce that the wordlist has been updated, can anyone shed light?

Demmerz
27-09-2005, 10:30 AM
For a good word list they should be on the blower to you good sir: you seem to know a staggeringly worrying amount of obscure and/or obsolete words. Perks of the job, I suppose.

That said, if they had a comprehensive word list there'd be more words to make, more points to make, and potentially more money to pay out.

Not that the extra points would be worth a player's while anyway: at 1,420 points for £1 the game can be fairly sure it won;t be paying out much...

Istenem
27-09-2005, 10:58 AM
perks of being a geek maybe, but words are my job and my hobby especially elegant ones.
there is a maltese word which would score well if it was allowed:
JGHAXXAQ. it means elfin or coquettish
I know this looks unlikely but it really is a word (and yes, the maltese really do have their own language). :oops:

anyway back to WU, it is possible that other annoying words which weren't allowed now are, (those which come to mind are CHI, CAH, ROO, CWT, DWT, (which are allowable printed alternatives to hundredweight and pennyweight and not classified as abbvs) AGO or ADO (can't remember which), MOUE, BRR, BRRR, DUI and PSEUDOPSEUDONYMOUSLY.)

but i hope to Heaven that ghastly things like QAT and ZEX are disallowed.

27-09-2005, 08:48 PM
Not that the extra points would be worth a player's while anyway: at 1,420 points for £1 the game can be fairly sure it won;t be paying out much...

Saw the new version of WU for the first time today, in Ipswich.

It immediately seems a little 'off', due to a rearrangement of the menu screen's buttons - hi scores being top middle now.

Didn't play it enough to investigate the possibility of new words.

The quid was set at 1670, which is stupidly high. This means that playing the game even for short-term small-time profit is no longer possible.

That is, unless you get an extra grid for clearing, which would lead to low-skill clearance-oriented tile bashing. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Or...the word list is now scrabble-esque (meaning approx. 50,000 more combinations), which would make clearing much easier to do.

Also, bad news for the lexicomaniacal narcissists among us, the high score board no longer accepts VAGINAL :(

tka
27-09-2005, 10:34 PM
but it does allow FAGGOT on wordwall.
my dictionary says its a bundle of sticks.

Ernest W. Quality
28-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Also, bad news for the lexicomaniacal narcissists among us, the high score board no longer accepts VAGINAL :(

Try Vajinal...

28-09-2005, 07:00 PM

Try Vajinal...

Is that the planned rebrand in the Houston wing of VB towers, Ernest?

Can we have the proposed name change confirmed for all new iterations of Word Up, please.

PS - what's the running top score on Word Wall so far? - my best is around 2200; am gradually getting used to it (played about 10 times). Haven't managed to reach six letter words and the possible joys of FAGGOTs yet tho (this applies outside of quizzing, too).

PPS - I remember FAGGOTS as in 'bundles of sticks' turning up in A-Level Eng lit classes, much to our predictable amusement. I think a 'reddleman' was involved somewhere with them (a berouged itinerant merchant of sumthinkdunnowot).

Ernest W. Quality
29-09-2005, 06:31 AM
Well if not, then EW QUALITY is unanimously accepted I would think.
I haven'tplayed WW or new WU yet, I just got back to the country.
Are you back in Cambridge yet?

Will update website at next chance.

Faggots I thought would be cigarettes, or sausages.

Ernest W. Quality
29-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Had a spare hour so went on a little excursion. Cambridge Arms has a new Itbox, so unfortunately the best scoreboard in existence has been destroyed (and probably, so have the others e.g. DaveJon's words boards at The Rocket, in London, can somebody confirm?).

Thought I'd try all my usual games since there have been so many changes. Lost a pound overall.

Word Up, £1 was at 1450, so had to hack. I got a 1500+ on the first go (don't usually clear on the first board). £2 was only at 1650-ish though, so it seems to me that the 'free' money has gone, but the clearing money is still there, and even doubles for a decent clearance. Although maybe they have removed the possibility of winning money every time (the previous £1 bar never went higher than 1520).

Word Wall, gash. I can see why they made it though. Their problem is that they have players who range in skill from absolute tubes to quiz/Scrabble genii. To make a game that allows the former some optimism that they might win, while stopping the latter from totally clearing up, and also possesses the ability to make things arbitrarily hard suddenly, seems to be the object here. First two times, cruised to 1200 easily, then as I approached the £1, suddenly was asked for several five letter words in a row, walls moved much faster, and shuffle kept producing consonants. First time I panicked, second time I managed to get the pound but was then killed. Third time got 1800 with no prize. So basically, behaves like a typical quiz game.

Haunted Hangman, much tighter than before, though questions seemed generally easier. Tip for the fannies that program the hangman phrases: there are two Es in WEMBLEY... with the aid of a "Go for it", got to 700, and was doing OK on the next phrase before suddenly the spoilers kicked in (e.g. what is the combined length of X and Y), etc. Died. No money. Seems the game still follows the same pattern but with more extreme mood swings than before.

The alternative view is that the game has become easier to survive on (until you near the money), but harder to win on, thus appealing more to people who play for playing, not winning.

Finally, Cryptic Clues. Won £2, seemed nothing had changed with this one.

29-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Popped into The Station Hotel pub, opposite Ipswich train station. Word Up has been updated, but scoreboards are still intact (including the VB-NATHAN one-two that is now about 8 mths old).

Played Word Wall and got a non-quid-winning 2610, which is the highest I've seen so far (of not many boards). The dictionary it uses seems to be slightly larger than the old WU one. There are definitely tactical considerations to be kept in mind while playing, which means it should become more interesting as I play it more. I hope there are even more word games in the pipeline...

A clearance-orientated quid-giver on WU with bonuses for good non-stabbed efforts should result in greater competition for our national board. :D

EWQUALITY - hmm dunno... how about 'CAPTAINBUM'?

Ernest W. Quality
29-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Money for top words etc on WU would be good.

Played WW a couple more times. Prize level is pretty variable. It's not a very versatile game though.

Ernest W. Quality
29-09-2005, 10:59 PM
And VAJINALBOB works on WU.

Istenem
30-09-2005, 08:52 AM
the new word up recognises over 10million words (none of which is VEXILLOLOGY) and there are a couple of QwithoutU words. Mercifully QAT is not there.

30-09-2005, 12:28 PM
the new word up recognises over 10million words (none of which are VEXILLOLOGY) and there are a couple of QwithoutU words.

Good news apropos QnoU additions.

VEXILLOLOGY is a nice spot.

Have you played on jumbletime yet, unknownpseudonym? Have a look at the US scrabble team players going through the 9 letter word lists :shock:

30-09-2005, 07:32 PM
New Word Wall mark - 4740: Station Hotel, Ipswich

BigEd
02-10-2005, 07:53 AM
the new word up recognises over 10million words (none of which is VEXILLOLOGY) and there are a couple of QwithoutU words. Mercifully QAT is not there.

How do you know that? :?

02-10-2005, 09:52 AM
Update: Word Wall Record now: 5540 (ARG, DJH, NFM, SJR); Avery, Cambridge

Individual record still 4740 8)

Istenem
03-10-2005, 08:33 AM

How do you know that? :?

you'd be astonished by how much i know, btw QWERTY is okay now as is MOUE.

Istenem
03-10-2005, 11:37 AM
take your pick:

a. i have attempted to play the words mentioned on the new version and have been allowed them or had them rejected, hence i can know their validity or otherwise.

b. i had a role in developing the new word list.

c. i waved a magic wand and backhacked.

d. none of the above.

if you pressed b or c, you are wrong. game over. you lose.

03-10-2005, 12:16 PM
I doubt the game has 10 mill words - the international scrabble word list has less than 200,000, and there are still plenty of scrabble words WU doesn't take.

The old game had a 'Collins Gem and a bit' word bank (about 50,000 words, I reckon), as far as I could tell.

Demmerz
03-10-2005, 01:24 PM
If option A is correct, option D should be incorrect. That's a fantastic example of an itBox spoiler!

Istenem
03-10-2005, 02:10 PM
perhaps my arithmetic/guesswork was slightly out (maybe even by 2 d.p.) let's put it down to a rush of blood. seems i may need to get rid of my "maths gremlin".

Istenem
03-10-2005, 02:13 PM
http://www.nelincs.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/1EBE32EA-FB3C-4E1B-890F-9178A587FFDF/0/gremlin5.jpg

don't be scared kids; it's just a man in a gremlin costume

Ernest W. Quality
04-10-2005, 01:31 PM
The Vaginal Bob and the Bobsketeers almost got a world record 1950 on Saturday, but ran out of time on the last word (MOA... which was a word under the new version).

Demmerz
04-10-2005, 07:49 PM
don't be scared kids; it's just a man in a gremlin costume

How far away is he?

Ernest W. Quality
05-10-2005, 03:44 PM
NEWS

The Vaginal Bob website (press www below) now has a Word Wall board as well. 4500 or above required. Please post scores (or pm to me).

Also, got Psychotically on the old version of WU but wasn't accepted. Bugger.

Ernest W. Quality
07-10-2005, 06:22 PM
Got Rattlesnake (220) today, and Crucifixions (408) on the old version of WU, which were pleasing words even if not quite as high scoring as I would have liked.

tka
08-10-2005, 11:14 AM
JEW is not allowed any more. I assume WOG has gone too.

Istenem
11-10-2005, 08:48 AM
not sure about the new prize structure.
i've cleared a few times lately, nothing spectacular; 1800 at mad bishop&bear, paddington, 1872 lord moon of the mall, traf square and each time it gave a £4 prize but for the next game £1 is at 1850-odd. and you'd have to be a mug or a genius to be confident of getting that every time. (and that goes for the rest of the punters whose worduppery is sluggish in comparison to fc whingers' heroic efforts)
so in effect you can kill a machine for weeks with a single clearance, i don't think any of us need £4 so badly that we want the game to be unplayable. maybe it will all come out in the wash (?)

Ernest W. Quality
11-10-2005, 09:17 AM
So now it behaves more or less like the other games in terms of prize structure.
BTW please submit all 1700+ scores to me for the national board.

23-10-2005, 05:36 PM
WU Individual/Overall World Record beaten today (a day after finding our old best pipped by Dave & Jon):

1952pts Edwards, Chelmsford

Lots of high-point tiles and a fluky take of KOPS at the end for a £4 jackpot.

Ernest W. Quality
29-10-2005, 11:32 PM
Today's Vajinal Bob outing to Oxford featured the Bubkaesque triple breaking of the Word Up world record (which was 1952 at the start of the day):

The Cock and Camel - 1954
Antiquity Hall - 2015
Turl Bar - 2070

Pictures to follow on the VB website on Monday.

tka
30-10-2005, 10:22 AM
Very impressive guys, well done!

Istenem
31-10-2005, 08:24 AM
a herculean effort, bravo sirs.

Ernest W. Quality
31-10-2005, 12:14 PM
The Turl Bar, Oxford:

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/nfm24/pics/turlbar.jpg

Demmerz
31-10-2005, 02:40 PM
Not entirely sure why there are six characters for the score. A piss-take?

01-11-2005, 07:38 PM
Just remembered - we saw a 'HYENA' score on Christ Church's machine in Oxford.

(Also 'HULLHULL's at UCL)

02-11-2005, 12:33 PM
I can't remember the last time I went on a word-up machine in London that didn't already have a 'Hyena' in the high-scores. If there were a prize for most machines played on, I think Hyena would win it.
Congratulations on breaking 2000, VB. That truly is an amazing achievement.
With words of 600+ and scores 2000+, perhaps the only remaining landmark is to get 40 words, unless some-one's already done that. I doubt it as it's not the most rewarding way to play the game.
Some-one mentioned that the new version of Word-Up now allows a few q-but-no-u words like QWERTY. Anyone know what the others might be?

Ernest W. Quality
02-11-2005, 01:50 PM
You can't get 40 words, you could get 39 with all of them 3 letters, and clearance. We did this already, and got a score of 1334... weak.

Cardinal Sin
02-11-2005, 04:30 PM
Nice name, Ernest...

so is Bubkaesque accepted in Word Up??? And if not... WHY NOT?

02-11-2005, 06:19 PM
You can't get 40 words, you could get 39 with all of them 3 letters, and clearance. We did this already, and got a score of 1334... weak.

Ernest says this rather dismissively, considering that I only managed this last Sunday, after he had somewhat disappointingly abandoned me to return to base rather than brave another day on enemy soil.

The score is high because I cleared - lower clearances than that are very much still possible!

tka
02-11-2005, 08:30 PM
As a challenge how about a clearance with the fewest words? I reckon 20-25 would be possible.

On a different point my itbox was on prozac today. First game £1 at 500ish I got to 1100 but couldn't clear so lost. 2nd game £1 at 1750. next game £1 at 550 again. :?

Ernest W. Quality
02-11-2005, 11:12 PM
As a challenge how about a clearance with the fewest words? I reckon 20-25 would be possible.

But surely if you did you would expect a very high points score anyway?

03-11-2005, 07:16 AM

Or, in the same vein, highest average word score on clearing (minus clearance bonus). Eg. our 2070 mark would be (2070-500)/28 = 56pts per word.

Istenem
03-11-2005, 09:16 AM
as well as travelling throughout the south, Hyena is into lets say recreational drugs too.
anyway afaik QWERTY is allowed but for some reason SQUILLION has been taken out, i'm sure i played that on the old version.
also i'm pretty sure i have cleared with 25 words before, no idea where though but i'll keep an eye out.

03-11-2005, 05:43 PM
New individual record: 1987pts - Golden Lion, Ipswich. 8)

Followed by a lacklustre 1914 and pathetic 1508 non-clearance (=60pts/word).

Will post photo tomorrow, once I've been back to try to add more big scores.

Istenem
09-11-2005, 10:51 AM
it is a curious paradox that the game itself allows VAGINAL but the score board doesn't. the same is true of BLOWJOB.

Ernest W. Quality
13-11-2005, 02:41 PM
In London yesterday, went to Leicester Sq area to plant flags on some much visited machines.

Moon Under Water, 1886
Green Horn and French Man, 1921
Marquis of Granby 1972 (Aesthetically, 403)

I'm afraid also that we've pushed unknown's score down to 9th at the MofG, but we didn't have the heart to push it off entirely. Balloonists is still the second longest word though.

Fader
13-11-2005, 02:45 PM
I take my hat off to ya mate - i just couldnt do that, ill stick to Fruits...

Get me coat

Istenem
14-11-2005, 08:47 AM
EWQ, you sir are a mean, base and despicable coward. i only rarely go into the MoG because the beer is iffy. but on your next smash&grab to London i will have reclaimed the topspot, make no mistake.

Ernest W. Quality
14-11-2005, 02:45 PM
:lol: Didn't target it deliberately, we were just wandering around the Leicester Square area.

Fader
14-11-2005, 02:55 PM
Ernest - get the chance to watch the firework display or the Lord mayor show in Blackfriars?

Ernest W. Quality
14-11-2005, 06:28 PM
No, but I did get the chance to sit freezing my nuts off for an hour at Harlow Town station waiting for delayed trains...

Fader
14-11-2005, 06:30 PM
ahh, not bad then

14-11-2005, 08:20 PM
on your next smash&grab to London i will have reclaimed the topspot, make no mistake.

How are you going to manage that?

Istenem
15-11-2005, 09:02 AM
i might resurrect my plans for the 20 letter word, that'll learn you. NB i went for a scout to the GM&FH, you've blasted me out of the water on WU but i nicked a couple of quid off WW and a cheeky fiver on the old, old favourite we daren't mention by name.

15-11-2005, 07:15 PM
i might resurrect my plans for the 20 letter word, that'll learn you. NB i went for a scout to the GM&FH, you've blasted me out of the water on WU but i nicked a couple of quid off WW and a cheeky fiver on the old, old favourite we daren't mention by name.

Is it my imagination or has WW got faster (especially after hitting the first quid)? I haven't managed to get
over 6000 (best is 11560) for 2 weeks or so and am averaging around 2500 now.

At first I thought it was because I was using an extra hand to stab words and that the processing power required to making my left hand do anything halfway sensible was enfeebling the unscrambling department of my brain.

tka
15-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Me and my mate Potts got QUIZZERS for 307 (I think) today in a pub in Picadilly Circus, the Leicester Arms or something like that. He decided we were called QUIZZERS too. As for WW that is whizzing along these days and all the letters seem to be Cs or Ws. But a cheeky JP on scrabble went down well.
It was Peacock with Rope in Conservatory, 3rd guess too :D

18-11-2005, 08:49 PM
One player madness at the Golden Lion, Ipswich:

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fussyweasel1066/detail?.dir=/8f05&.dnm=476bscd.jpg&.src=ph

18-11-2005, 08:50 PM
Hmm that didn't quite work as expected - just investigate the URL for shockingly good scoreboard :wink:

Ernest W. Quality
27-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Dear all,

The seond best WU score has been today extended to 2016 pts (at the Bath House, Cambridge). This makes the top 3 all over 2000. The current top 10 leaderboard:
<pre>

ARG/NFM/SJR/CF/BS Turl Bar, Oxford VAJINALBOB 2070
ARG/NFM/SPM Bath House, Cambridge VAJINALBOB 2016
ARG/NFM/SJR/CF Antiquity Hall, Oxford VAJINALBOB 2015
ARG Golden Lion, Ipswich VAJINALBOB 1987
ARG/NFM/CF Marquis of Granby, Covent Gd VAJINALBOB 1972
ARG/NFM/SJR/CF Cock and Camel, Oxford VAJINALBOB 1954
ARG Edward's, Chelmsford VAJINALBOB 1952
ARG/BS/CF/JW/KR Chequers, Oxford VAJINALBOB 1946
ARG/NFM/SJR/CF Goose, Oxford VAJINALBOB 1943
Dave & Jon Court, Tottenham Ct Rd DAVE JON 1938

tka
28-11-2005, 07:59 PM
Good effort chaps.
I played 3 games today and cleared twice which is WELL above my average. Won £9, is it just me or has the letters it gives you got easier?
With a flukey £60 on S16s and a JP on legal Tender I'm £85 up today :lol:

06-12-2005, 06:04 PM
Played WU in Norwich today. The following three scores were my bests - see if you can spot the difference:

Wetherspoons (Bell Hotel) - Machine 1: 1913
Machine 2: 1913
Imagine: 1913

As the third score appeared, I wondered if there was some kind of cosmic significance...

Istenem
13-12-2005, 11:03 AM
distraught:
OLIGOMENORRHOEA is not allowed
AMENORRHOEA is but that is not nearly as elegant

tka
13-12-2005, 10:17 PM
I got QUIBBLING today. 297 points. so 3 short of the score board :cry:
would have been my 3rd entry too.

14-12-2005, 05:08 AM
word's made
:roll:

must try playing this meself, quite good at word games if I do say so

Ernest W. Quality
17-12-2005, 10:18 PM
New second best score... 2039.

23-12-2005, 03:01 PM
Dragged my brother out today and achieved a new WORLD RECORD, at the PLAYHOUSE, COLCHESTER.

2135 (ARG, SRG) 8) 8)

Using the '100 point rule' and helped along by EMBEZZLING (400pts), we shattered the old mark. :twisted:

Here's the pic ('S' is my bro'):

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fussyweasel1066/detail?.dir=/2aa8&.dnm=6d06re2.jpg

Notice only 26 words made too... :D

Istenem
30-12-2005, 12:10 PM
good effort for the boys, that'll take some beating.

You have chosen to achieve spiritual enlightenment. Well done! You win. Game over. You scored 791 points.

31-12-2005, 06:09 PM
Went word gaming in Southend today. Someone by the name of BEN had already gone around all the pubs assiduously taking the top scores on WU and WW (which I proceeded to take off his hands). This is the only instance of whole town quizzing gangsterism that I have encountered (apart from us). There also seems to have been minor Word Upping turf wars between rival crews (with S M and AVI involved).

Istenem
05-01-2006, 08:49 AM
i found a machine near trafalgar square where £1 was at 750. i was a little drunk so not running very efficiently anyhow it took me eight goes until i managed to clear it (only 1787). it went up to £10 and the collect screen said "!!!!!!!!!!JACKPOT!!!!!!!!!" i thought it was (at least theroetically) possible to get £20 still. :?:

Istenem
13-01-2006, 09:14 AM
while not of the calibre of some of team VB's lexicographical heroics may i submit a couple of scores for EWQ's website?

BUZZ BAR haymarket 1817 MENORAH
http://f.screensavers.com/migration/wp/menorah05_215.gif
MAD BISHOP & BEAR paddington 1840 MENORAH
(the latter included the magnificent (if i do say so myself) COCCYXES
http://www.coccyx.org/images/9coccyx.jpg

btw, what has happened to Ernest? not seen him on here this year.

Ernest W. Quality
13-01-2006, 01:55 PM
Have been on holiday. Will update national boards later today.

Ernest W. Quality
13-01-2006, 04:09 PM
Updated with mostly VB scores, and a couple of unknownpseudonym's.

Ernest W. Quality
14-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Sum Up third place now 3052 (Portland Arms, Cambridge).
I really must make a proper effort to see how high I can push it, as opposed to idly playing between WU bouts.

No decent WU scores today though, getting back in practice... almost got TONSILECTOMY (312), but bottled it and lost the O. Also had JUXTAPOSITI but no O nearby (got JUXTAPOSED 280 instead). Not a good day for me and the O's. Best word of the day was FRIZZLED 288, but it's not very elegant.

Ernest W. Quality
15-01-2006, 04:57 PM
A personal best for me (on my own, not with other VB crew) today on WU: 1931 Cambridge Arms.

Also had MOZZAR and LLA set up but no useable E. Bastard.

Istenem
16-01-2006, 08:54 AM
i had PROPORTIONS but fouled it up trying to get the DIS.
also JACUZZI is not allowed :?

Ernest W. Quality
19-01-2006, 07:31 AM
Qualitative 352

Ernest W. Quality
24-01-2006, 11:33 PM
NEW WR !!

http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~nfm24/tranq.JPG

From the machine at the Wetherspoon's at Liverpool St Station.
Halle-f**king-lujah :D

Lots and lots of scores to be added to site today... will post about it later.

Istenem
25-01-2006, 09:02 AM
bravo!

Ernest W. Quality
25-01-2006, 03:29 PM
The VB website has been well and truly updated... lots of new pictures too (murals and tapestries section).

And a huge update to the national score boards. A lot of VB scores, a lot of Dave Jon scores, and a handful of others. By request I have put asterisks next to scores added recently so that people can see easily what is new.

DaveJon seem to have responded to the challenges we put down in a couple of their Tott Ct Rd pubs, which is good to see. They also now have QUINTESSENTIALLY in two different places.

We decided that we were never likely to beat QUINTESSENTIALLY without specifically playing for large words, so we adopted the Dave Jon approach of word building, to try and beat them at their own game, with the knowledge that if nothing seemed on, we could revert to our usual method and rack up a good score anyway. Our hit rate of making the big words varied, (wonder what DJ's is), but we had enough successes to tell us we were capable of getting the really big stuff if we went for it.

Dave Jon also have a 2105 score at the Rocket, which is the second best ever, though seems much higher than their other best scores we've seen (next best 1938). Anyway, we had a few goes at beating it, and came very close once, with a 1603 non clearance (CEM left at the end).

Twice we failed by about 5 seconds to make Quintessentially, but eventually we made the one we were really after which was Tranquillizing. We also made some less valuable versions on the same root (Tranquillizers, ised, etc).

A full list of the 'big' words we made (some more elegant than others as unknown will point out no doubt):

TRANQUILLIZING (700)
TRANQUILLIZERS (644)
TRANQUILLIZES (585)
EMBEZZLEMENTS (546)
EMBEZZLEMENT (492)
TRANQUILLISED (481)
VIVISECTIONIST (434)
MOZZARELLAS (429)
MOZZARELLA (380)
VISUALIZED (320)
FRIENDLIEST (264)
SUBCUTANEOUS (240)

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/nfm24/scores.html

unknownpseudonym3
25-01-2006, 04:09 PM
most impressive sirs. i am so awed that i forgot my password and had to regenerate. the website is looking good too, shame there are so few of my pseudonyms but i will have to see to that.
anyhow congrats on your herculean successes, keep locking horns with DJ, one day i might be able to challenge chelsea but for the moment i'll be the newcastle of the WU world.

as for words being elegant; well it's a moot point, if i could get all those Qs, Zs and Xs into a word on the game i would. but VIVISECTIONIST and SUBCUTANEOUS are gems by anyone's book.

Ernest W. Quality
25-01-2006, 04:17 PM
I knew you'd like those... we actually would have preferred VIVISECTIONISM.

tka
25-01-2006, 07:31 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Wow!
Puts my 1888 to shame
Well done guys!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

unknownpseudonym3
26-01-2006, 12:42 PM
i was reading my favourite book in the library earlier (OED in volumes) to look at the potential for unusual Q words.

:arrow: the QUIZ+Z root (incidentally 'Quiz' originally meant to make fun of sombody). the following have their own entries in the OED (they may or may not be recognised by WU):
the ones we already know +
QUIZZACIOUS
QUIZZATORIAL
QUIZZERY
QUIZZICALNESS
QUIZZINGLY
QUIZZY.

:arrow: the longest word beginning with Q which might reasonably be considered a genuine word is QUINQUESYLLABICALLY, the QUINQUE+ root is probably more likely for words such as QUINQUENNIUM (+derivatives).

:arrow: the most elegant of the Q-U words was QHYTHSONTYD (an old English spelling of whitsuntide) but the WU wordlist could never be exhaustive as is the OED.

:arrow: QUINTESSENTIALIZED is written out in the OED (but subsiduarily to Q...L and not in a dedicated entry.)

Ernest W. Quality
26-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Hmm, I sort of hope the Quizz words are not accepted because they are quite dull and it will just be a matter of ticking them off (and makes it much harder to top them with a genuinely original word).

Istenem
26-01-2006, 02:15 PM
agreed. there are thousands of magnificent words which don't rely on the high-scoring letters.

(btw i am back as my old self now)

28-01-2006, 09:35 PM
Away day for motley VB renegade 2nd string (albeit top notch) squad of me, BS and CF in Reading today.

Familiar names spotted: HYENA (everywhere); MONTY (also at Lincoln College, Oxford); OLELJ (heh); MATT (on SU, as in Ipswich)

New crew found: TEAM SEDA (crushed due to lack of clearance ability)

Updated Reading quiz machine status: BUMMED

Istenem
30-01-2006, 09:48 AM
ÖLELJ was in reading for the first time last monday visiting an old friend. only played about 10 games though with nothing noteworthy but about 80% profit.

Ernest W. Quality
30-01-2006, 03:08 PM
VB website updated: the VB renegades in Reading got quite a few 1800+, later VB got a few solo good words, and EWQ in Cambridge got a lot of quality words. Nowt from anyone else though.

Turf Wars:
VB 1896 now at the Mad Bishop & Bear, Paddington, abvoe a series of MENORAH scores.

EW Quality words:
TRANQUILLIZERS 644
TRANQUILLISING 574
QUALIFICATIONS 560
TRANQUILLISED 481
UNEXCEPTIONAL 429
QUIZZICAL 423 (Quizzicality doesn't work on old version. Boooooooooo.)
ACQUAINTANCES 403 (twice in same place... strange)
INEQUALITIES 396
CONVIVIALLY 385
EQUALIZERS 350
QUINTESSENCE 336
QUALIFIERS 310
QUIZZERS 304
ERRATICALLY 286
EQUESTRIANS 264
NEUROLOGIST 220

VB solo words:
QUINTESSENTIAL 476
INQUISITION 341
ACCOMMODATED 264

Istenem
30-01-2006, 04:04 PM
good going there's some biggies in that lot. is the scion looking to usurp the throne?
as for putting MENORAH out, that is what's known as dirty pool. anyhow as of today i changed my name again (too old a habit to change (dates back to spelvin)). i have a couple of 16s and 17s in the back of my mind for next time i play. nice to also see a new name on the wall of an old house with TEAM SEDA and THERMOMETERS. when they notice the desecration of their patch hopefully in a fit of pique they will come looking for VB on google and register here.

Ernest W. Quality
30-01-2006, 04:13 PM
good going there's some biggies in that lot. is the scion looking to usurp the throne?

Nah, just couldn't go away this weekend so decided to play on me own. I was going for words, Bob was going for quick clearances in Reading to dominate the town.

as for putting MENORAH out, that is what's known as dirty pool. anyhow as of today i changed my name again (too old a habit to change (dates back to spelvin)). i have a couple of 16s and 17s in the back of my mind for next time i play. nice to also see a new name on the wall of an old house with TEAM SEDA and THERMOMETERS. when they notice the desecration of their patch hopefully in a fit of pique they will come looking for VB on google and register here.

Hmm, maybe we need business cards with the URL on. I avoided doing this with stickers before because was worried would get complaints from operators, but if just leave cards in/near machine they can't complain. Anyone know a good place that does them at a suitable price (i.e. free)?

31-01-2006, 04:50 PM
NEW SOLO WORLD RECORD

Beat you all to the 2000 mark at the Playhouse, Colchester.

TRANQUILLIZERS and Wetherspoons coffee helped 8)
(They must have cancelled each other out)

tka
31-01-2006, 10:44 PM
TRANQUILLIZERS and Wetherspoons coffee helped 8)
(They must have cancelled each other out)

:lol:

Istenem
01-02-2006, 09:16 AM
i had a non-clearance 1682 yesterday and the barmaid was a charming young Hungarian.
anyway a couple of scores: aside from the drab MILLIONAIRES, QUIZZING and a few pleasing 10s,
1808 tyburn, marble arch MEESKITE
1850 hogshead, mayfair MEESKITE
1893 lord moon of the mall, traf sq MEESKITE
but the most elegant word i got was HEREUNTO

oh! is it a pleasure? i'm a meeskite.

Ernest W. Quality
01-02-2006, 01:20 PM
Yes but if you got Millionaire and/or Quizzing, you need to report where you got them...

Istenem
01-02-2006, 01:48 PM
the Q word was part of the 1850
the M word was at the clarence on whitehall. but your website has enough of those words already.

Ernest W. Quality
01-02-2006, 02:11 PM
If you don't like them, don't play them :lol:

davejon
01-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Hi guys we managed another 'Quintessentially' i'm afraid at the court on tottenham court road.

Ernest W. Quality
01-02-2006, 02:21 PM
Well done. I make that 3 times now.
Still second place to our TRANQUILLIZING though...

Istenem
03-02-2006, 05:53 PM
i was on a course and stumbled upon some new machines in DAVE JON territory.
the metropolitan is a JDW near baker street tube some selct DJ scores:
(another) QUINTESSENTIALLY
JUXTAPOSITIONS
and; this is phenomenal: APPROXIMATIONS

they hadn't made it to the allsop arms nearby but a new name for the leaderboards: JARS with 1842, EMBEZZLES and GODLESSNESS.

for my part the only game i had which troubles the scorers is 1823 including PEPPERMINTS at the north star on finchley road. (i reverted to ISTENEM). good weekends all.

06-02-2006, 10:01 PM
Have sensibly limited retirement from Word Up to those moments when not playing it, I went for a wander in London town after work this evening...

Found a nice little pub tucked away round off of Oxford Street - The Green Man on Riding House St. Word Up (1st edition) well frequented, seemingly by yet another new crew - this time leaving only names ending in 'OUT' eg. TITS OUT, GUSSET OUT etc etc - I heartily approved. All scoreboard places were owned by the crew (inc. 2 clearances) before my arrival and the ensuing five clearances that knocked them into 6th (plus two QUIZZICALs to flatten hi-score word opposition).

Found a Sum Up off Oxford Circus, in The Old Explorer. Hyena top with a 2300ish good effort before 2534 toppled him.

Also knocked MEESKITE off the top with a 1863 in a Hogs Head reasonably close to Oxford Circus. Lots of HULL HULL scores there too - the site of many a tussle, it seems.

tka
06-02-2006, 10:14 PM
1st edition? with the £20 JP? Hell even I can do that. But I guess you took a few hundred out :cry: Wish I had found it first.

07-02-2006, 07:16 AM
1st edition?

Not with the £20 jackpot unfortunately - just with the old dictionary!

Istenem
07-02-2006, 08:35 AM
cah. get orrrf moi laaaand. fringes of moi laaaand but it is my most recent pseudonym.

the lure of WU too strong for the overeducated. good to see VB back on the scene after a temporary hiatus. aside from the beer money on SWP how is he earning his crust?

07-02-2006, 08:23 PM
aside from the beer money on SWP how is he earning his crust?

freelancing in a nebulous and generally unhelpful 'project management' stylee.

Did Slough today - only a couple of HYENAs, the rest utterly pre-owned by 'NIK', including some 1600s clearances. Eventually deposed him on all total score boards before running back home. Hope I don't have to go back there again soon.

Cardinal Sin
07-02-2006, 08:46 PM
That's me now officially addicted to Word Up. Even went down the local today, ignored the puggie and made a beeline straight for the Word Up machine in the corner.

But what's the story with missing words? I can understand words like quo not being there (as in status quo), but what about words like zen, ben, het etc... ?

And no swear words?

Cardinal Sin
07-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Oops. Did that twice. That's what you get for imbibing alcohol

Istenem
08-02-2006, 09:34 AM
That's me now officially addicted to Word Up. Even went down the local today, ignored the puggie and made a beeline straight for the Word Up machine in the corner.

But what's the story with missing words? I can understand words like quo not being there (as in status quo), but what about words like zen, ben, het etc... ?

And no swear words?

good news Your Eminence once you get a few clearances under your simar you'll be well away.
when i was starting out i found it useful to work around double LL as it is inordinately high-scoring.
~ILLION~ is very useful: M~(~AIRES, ~THS etc) also B~ Z~ SQU~ TR~ are allowed (but not with all the suffixes) also P~, by extension you can get words like VERM~ (even though it should only have one L) i'm sure you can think of others.

as for the missing words; nature of the beast i'm afraid, but it is minimal. EWQ's website has a few useful dumping words though.

whether a man of the cloth should be using bad swears is questionable but once you get past the 4-letter shockers they become allowable (for example MOXXXXFXXXER would be okay if there weren't so many Xs in it.

Godd luck, let us know how you get on.

Schuey
08-02-2006, 11:09 AM
And no swear words?

Not sure if it is still acceptable on the latest version, but a previous version did allow "pissed".

Cardinal Sin
08-02-2006, 12:19 PM
Cheers for the advice... ever tried Gazillions?

I'll try and snatch a few more games over the weekend. It really is a triumph for the manufacturers that you (well I anyway) play it to have a laugh and get some high-scores, not just to make money. In fact, yesterday I built up a bank of a fiver with millionaire, then quite happily played off my winnings on Word-Up, in no doubt that I would definitely be losing my money.

davejon
08-02-2006, 12:25 PM
your'e allowed 'fanny', 'wanks', 'shitty', 'shitted'. We ventured to the scream pub in angel called the mitre. Got 'razzmatazz' and 'criminalities'. Also in the goose by russell square we got 'vivisectionsists'. The Essex serpant in covent garden, we got 'quintessetial', 'razzmatazz'(again) and 'inequalities'.

davejon
08-02-2006, 12:26 PM
why has VB retired from Word up? What a sin.

08-02-2006, 12:50 PM
why has VB retired from Word up? What a sin.

'Twas but a passing fancy - am back now.

Are you two up for meeting tonight or wot? Stop running scared 8)

(PM me)

Istenem
08-02-2006, 02:26 PM
re DJ: for someone with such good scores your spelling is peculiar :wink:
the machine wouldn't allow three of the words in your post. (not counting you're)
also i trust you are aware that RAZZMATAZZ can also be spelled RAZZAMATAZZ, so potentially another 60-odd points there.
when i saw APPROXIMATIONS with my eye at baker street i nearly fell out of my chair.

re CR: totally agree; playability is very good on WU the money you can win is only really good for reinvesting and trying to get better scores next time. whereas something like bullseye has 0% playability but up to 400% profit potential. depends whether you play for profit or not (and >90% of punters don't)

Ernest W. Quality
08-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Hmmm. DJ, I wish you would properly send your scores in. It can't be too hard to write them down surely. Otherwise I might have to start demanding photo evidence or something.

Nil Satis
09-02-2006, 10:53 AM
For any of you Word Up gurus based in London, the Famous 3 Kings by West Kensington tube has a machine fixed to the wall by the pool tables where last night the Word Up was set at 700 points for £1 and around 1000 points for £2.

As I'm quite new to the forum, I haven't really worked out if this would be lucrative enough to travel any distance for, but my frankly amateurish efforts of just over 1000 were the top two scores! I play Word Up for a bit of relaxation as I tend to concentrate on the more profitable quiz-based games, which sadly now are a dying breed. In fact the other eight games on this machine were to my mind some of the real dregs of the modern quiz world - Golden Boot, Spot the Difference, a completely empty Hex Appeal plus a Matrix that gave Qx3 (three questions) on only the second row! Frankly none of those would be worth the 20 seconds walk from the tube station!

It may be a relatively new machine (I've only seen ones that size and shape in a couple of other places before) or maybe the previous high scores had been wiped. The only reference in the High Scores table to any of the 'names' on here was one entry someone asking who Hyena was! I left a NOTVAJINAL to prepare the ground for hopefully one of you guys to annihilate the High Scores table...

Istenem
09-02-2006, 11:36 AM
i was in that pub to watch a football match many years ago and played a standalone hangman v1. as for the WU; it would certainly be doable for some of the people here but (like all the games) it probably wouldn't be very profitable. Especially since it sounds like you were playing on an old gamesnet (or possibly you haven't seen many paragons in your neck of the woods). But if it were the old, old gamesnet it might be very very interesting.

good on you for being called NOTVAJINAL, if ever i get a low clearance to top a table in a new pub i tend to call myself FRUITCHAT to spread the word that there are a few geeks who spend far too much time checking these pages.

and for the mucky-minded i got CRAPPING yesterday and it was allowed.

you may know all this already but HYENA is a one-man-band, about 40, greying, plays all over the south west, sits on a stool at the machine, i guess he does it as a job but don't know for sure.

not sure about "HYENA XTC" and "HYENA REGD" which i have noticed lately, maybe he has found a sidekick?

davejon
09-02-2006, 03:25 PM
you may know all this already but HYENA is a one-man-band, about 40, greying, plays all over the south west, sits on a stool at the machine, i guess he does it as a job but don't know for sure.

not sure about "HYENA XTC" and "HYENA REGD" which i have noticed lately, maybe he has found a sidekick?

I think I've seen him before in the Rocket, pretty crazy looking with a great late 70's haircut, he was on word up for quite a while whilst I was working one night but noticed afterwards he hadn't managed to get onto the board :mrgreen:

Istenem
09-02-2006, 03:41 PM
from your description, it sounds like you have been blessed with the presence of STEVE W

Istenem
10-02-2006, 10:44 AM
MEESKITE bowed out yesterday with another boring but functional MILLIONAIRES at the green man and french horn on st martin's lane london.
n.b. for the record EWQ: the old itbox has been replaced with a gamesnet machine so all preious scores from that pub have either been relocated or lost.

Ernest W. Quality
12-02-2006, 12:26 AM
VAJINAL BOB EMPIRE UPDATE

The streamlined yet elite squad of VB and EWQ ambled around the usual hotspots of the London Word Up scene this afternoon. For some reason we decided to go to Uxbridge first, but there weren't as many machines as we thought, so not a great use of time... we also expanded into Mahjong and Hex Appeal to relax between WU games, and won money on them surprisingly often (but only £1 or £2 a time, so not much help really).

The main high-points of the outing were that we leapfrogged Dave Jon at four of their favourite pubs, and that we almost broke the WR, with a 1610 non clearance, 4 letters left (too many Ks at the end...). No low points, but getting £10 jackpot for a 1240 score at the Lloyds was just weak - shame on the locals. Some nice work from Unknown on the words board though, but the thing was gagging to payout.

Also an amusing VB fan story... one of our occasional tag-alongs was playing a pool match in Oxford and mentioned WU, then someone else piped up that he'd seen VB all over Colchester, and a second guy said "don't be stupid, VB is from Oxford", because of our scores there. Hmm...
I suppose the name VB is at least memorable, if not as elegant as Unknown's considered monikers.

Full stats of the outing below, only for places with new top scores (for posterity, included previous owner of each venue, and categorised nicely by address so Dave & Jon will be able to find the pubs with machines in). We also went to a few others along the way to check we were still top.

<pre>
Uxbridge:
Hog's Head - 1703 (was LloydJon 1690)
The Old Bill - 1651 (was SANDS 1624)
- Acclimatises 312
The Ostler - 1889
The Good Yarn - 1687

Leicester Square:
The Moon Under Water - 1809

Charing Cross Rd:
[Formerly the Moon Under Water, now the Montagu Pyke, part of Lloyds chain]
Lloyd's - machine 1 - 1902 (and 1610 non clearance)
- Quizzers 304
- machine 2 - 1959 (b4 was Dave Jon 1840)
- Metalworker 264
- Nationalizing 468

Newman St (off Oxford St):
The Blue Posts - 1814
The Cambridge Arms - 1916 (b4 was Dave Jon 1876 & 1800)
- (DJ: Quintessentially, -ial, -ence)

Tottenham Court Rd:
The Court - 1998 (b4 was Dave Jon 1938)
- Elephantine 264

Marchmont St (Russell Square):
The Goose - 1859 (b4 was Dave Jon 1847)
- Rationalize 319

</pre>

12-02-2006, 01:03 AM
I would like to be the first to congratulate myself and Ernest on such excellent news - WELL DONE the VaginalBob team! *cracks open a can of vintage Tab Clear and pours onto carpet*

Ernest W. Quality
12-02-2006, 01:29 AM
Can I be the first to thank VB for his congratulatory gestures. I'll open a can of Schweppes Cream Soda to precipitate reminiscence of allowable kids' drinks in Brit Expat bars in Islamic countries.

davejon
12-02-2006, 11:49 PM
how dare you intrude into our turf. This means war.....

Istenem
13-02-2006, 08:31 AM
good stuff. i'll toast you with um bongo.
i was going to clean up at the wetherspoons/lloyds on cxr at lunchtime today; i'd left it for a week to accrue. but you are right that the throughput of muppet money in there is unusually high. it is also a meeting place for a large deaf community and some of the barstaff have been trained in BSL which is a nice touch.

Ernest W. Quality
13-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Oops, apologies unknown, didn't realise we'd robbed your nest. But we won't be there again for quite a while I think so it's all yours (unless VB goes there on his own).

Istenem
13-02-2006, 01:45 PM
went to yates's on leicester square instead:
1930, MISQUOTATION; SNERUST (£8 )

Ernest W. Quality
13-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Good score. Agonisingly one point short of my solo best though. We were about to go in there on Saturday but the bouncer wouldn't let me in with my bag of drinks/food, so we buggered off.

13-02-2006, 10:43 PM

Btw - Knocked you two off the top at the Essex Serpent today on first attempt.

Ernest W. Quality
13-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Also I became the second to get QUIZZICALITY, yesterday at the Pickerel.

13-02-2006, 10:48 PM
Head-hunted the world's top Literati (Yahoo.com -> games -> literati) player and general blitz scrabble genius, 'AW,' today - the VB team can only get stronger after pulling off this astonishing coup.

Ernest W. Quality
15-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Have updated/altered the "teams and players" bit of the VB website. Anyone else who wants a little spot on there should pm me. For those already on there, do let me know when you beat your PB or whatever (of course, if it is a national board score you should tell me anyway).

Istenem
16-02-2006, 09:03 AM
i had to go to saint ratford yesterday and it is okay for east london. there is only one quiz machine though.
the golden grove: scene of a personal triumph: QUINCUNXES which is a beautiful word, deserved much more than 340. still, SNERUST makes the high score table.

Cardinal Sin
16-02-2006, 09:08 AM
That's a neat word... might find it tricky to work it into everyday conversations.

I'm often tempted to go for these outlandish words, but not sure if the dictionary will include them, spent half my time trying to arrange FLIPCHARTS, only to find out that it wasn't included.

16-02-2006, 01:25 PM
QUINCUNXES

lovely! :D

davejon
16-02-2006, 02:47 PM

Btw - Knocked you two off the top at the Essex Serpent today on first attempt.

That one was actually just dave, was playing at a lunchtime, had some nice words I think definitely razzmatazz stands out in memory

16-02-2006, 03:14 PM
That one was actually just dave, was playing at a lunchtime

Well maybe, jon, you shouldn't let dave drag the jon name through the mud by leaving only a handful of feeble 1100s and 1200s topped by a couple of limp clears, jon. :wink: (jon)

davejon
16-02-2006, 03:34 PM
That one was actually just dave, was playing at a lunchtime

Well maybe, jon, you shouldn't let dave drag the jon name through the mud by leaving only a handful of feeble 1100s and 1200s topped by a couple of limp clears, jon. :wink: (jon)

1100 to 1200 were where the 2 pound marks were so like the most strategic military general I didn't see the point in forcing board clearances to hit the 1750 to get it to 3 pounds which would as has often been seen lead to the £1 being at 1700. On a new board you have to be gentle with it at first to get what you want and 5 £2 wins are a lot better than 1 £3 win and a couple of £1's. But fair point it was a poor performance, I obviously wasn't concentrating need a pint of Strongbow and my wily little friend for that :lol:

Ernest W. Quality
20-02-2006, 10:34 PM
I got INCONSEQUENTIAL today. Couldn't quite clear though (would have been over 2000 if I had).

Istenem
21-02-2006, 01:11 PM
disappointed: QUIDNUNC is not allowed, that's a lovely old word.

and there's mrs baxter gossiping about the weather; and the price of meat

tka
22-02-2006, 09:04 PM
I smashed my personal record today at Chandlers opposite Ealing Broadway station 1956 GEOFF TKA. Not quite sure how it got that high but it did! Also I had PIXELS but MEGAPIXELS is no good :(

Ernest W. Quality
22-02-2006, 09:07 PM
Nice work. Since the new Itbox version the grids seem heavier, so easier to get high scores I think. Also the harder the money gets the more Zs and Qs it gives you which helps if you can use them.

tka
22-02-2006, 09:14 PM
It wasn't even on an itbox, it was one of those oval Gamesnet things. But there were loads of Js and Zs on that game and not to many Qs or Vs. Before I went in the top score was 1100ish so the locals can't be very good. Everywhere else in Ealing is ind:e machines which don't have WU otherwise I would have got 2500 8)

Ernest W. Quality
22-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Well I certainly noticed the difference the other day, playing in a college on the old version, almost all green and yellow tiles, then on Itbox, loads of blue and purple.

Istenem
23-02-2006, 08:44 AM
bugger. that puts me out of the medals. we'll have to see about that. well done though. it calls for a new name in Hungarian too...

davejon
23-02-2006, 03:04 PM
Well the Court has finally got it's second ITBOX in, but much to Jon's and my annoyance they have taken away our machine and replaced it with the previous version of Word Up the one that doesn't accept words like AIN or DUI. We almost smashed in DISESTABLISHMENT on it though but when we came to put it in the L wasn't touching the I and we couldn't get round it, think we ran out of time trying to figure it out as well gutted!!! :(

24-02-2006, 04:44 PM
NEWSFLASH - WU WORLD RECORD BEATEN

2210 by 'CRAIG'

One of our team members - Craig F - crushed the former best with a QUIZZICALLY-powered demolition of the pub near his work.

Unfortunately, showing this much promise means we will have to have him put down to keep any competition with Dave Jon meaningful. :cry:

fotherz
25-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Did "vajinalbob" or "davejon" ever imagine there was a higher power at work in the WU universe? :wink:

I go to The Station a lot and recently started aiming for decent words (as you can see on the website).

Every time I get QUIZZICAL or better, they reset the machine. Its happened twice this week already. So in a fit of rage I smashed in 2210. It'll be gone by next week, I imagine. Luckily I have photographic evidence (on my mobile).

I can't see any of you n00bs beating the SOLO WORLD RECORD for a while. 8)

As for me, I'll keep playing til I get "uncharacteristically", then I'll retire a champion.

25-02-2006, 06:44 PM
Did "vajinalbob" or "davejon" ever imagine there was a higher power at work in the WU universe? :wink:

You tit, we know about you because we trained you up to be a decent player in the first place and had you join the VB empire. You're just feeling the effects of the greatness of VB moving through you. 8)

fotherz
26-02-2006, 01:07 PM
What are you talking about?

I have never even met you!

27-02-2006, 12:10 AM
What are you talking about?

I have never even met you!

From National Scoreboard, in black and white erm blue and yellow:

ARG/CF King's College bar, Cambridge VAJINALBOB 1861
ARG/CF The Lock, London VAJINALBOB 1860
ARG/NFM/CF Moon Under Water, Leices. Sq VAJINALBOB 1857
ARG/CF Court, Tottenham Ct Rd VAJINALBOB 1855
ARG/NFM/CF Marquis of Granby, Covent Gd VAJINALBOB 1846
ARG/CF Court, Tottenham Ct Rd VAJINALBOB 1841 **

and, the clincher:

ARG/C.FothergXXX The Albert, Colchester CRAIGNVB 1817

You may not have met us, but we've certainly met you :lol:

Istenem
27-02-2006, 09:28 AM
welcome to the board Fotherz. good to have more enthusiasts on board. ahem.

davejon
27-02-2006, 03:50 PM
Well done CF, thumbs up!

2210 is a most impressive scores, but like every record its there to be beaten. Jon and I will reassess our targets again and try and raise the bar another notch as I'm sure VB and EQ will also be doing.

Best of luck to all in search of the 2211 landmark.

Can I ask how much you won on that, when Jon and I cleared the 2106 score at the Court we won 6, were only a few points from the £8 and could see the £10 aswell?

tka
27-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Like the eyes UP.
I played £20 through WU today to get a clearance. £1 was at 250 points :shock: but I still couldn't do it :(.
After a few games I was about to clear but the word I was trying to play was in the way of the prize screen so accidentally I collected £3. Grrrrrrrrr!
The next board was 1350 for £1

Cardinal Sin
28-02-2006, 08:18 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one hacking about in the rough in the lower echelons of WU competence...

Mind you, after firing about a 10er into one machine, I managed to get a clearance the other day. I smashed my personal best (1600ish), and was rewarded with 1 shiny pound coin for my efforts.

Well worth it.

Istenem
28-02-2006, 09:42 AM
TKA: mmm, it is possible to force WU. if £1 is anywhere below 1150. this can be useful so long as when you have forced it down with deliberately feeble efforts you then clear with a good score (£10 JP is usually at 1800 or 1850 from £1 at 1000) but 1500 will only win you £4/£5.

Your Eminence: keep plugging away, EWQ's website needs some entries from bonny scotland to temper the SW monopoly. what name do you use on the scoreboard? DU PLESSIS? :wink:

Cardinal Sin
28-02-2006, 10:00 AM
I actually use Cardinal R for decentish words and scores.

And my new eviller alter-ego, Count Rochefort (abbreviated to Count R), for all the crappy ones.

Even crap scores get on the high score tables round these parts. I can't remember my exact highest score (1600ish), but my best word thus far has been QUESTIONNAIRE, in the Goose in Falkirk (before the screen broke and they replaced the machine). I'll try and be more circumspect with my score-keeping in future.

By the way, UP, trying to place those eyes in your avatar... it's not the lassie off the Turkey adverts ? (the country, not Bernard Matthews).

Istenem
28-02-2006, 10:12 AM
good news.
QUESTIONNAIRE makes the scoreboard (i trust you have clicked the link under VB/EWQ's posts) i'm sure Ernest will include when he next updates.
and the eyes are not lassie's she was a bitch.
they belong to one of my jettisoned pseudonyms.

Istenem
01-03-2006, 10:39 AM
Oops, apologies unknown, didn't realise we'd robbed your nest. But we won't be there again for quite a while I think so it's all yours (unless VB goes there on his own).

went in that lloyds/motagu pyke/whatever else it is called yesterday.

WU was already back down to 1150 for £1 so £6 for 1750ish (inc. PHLEGM) couple of quid afters.
£4 off donkey doodoo, scraps from CC, japseye, cluedo, hangman, hex & mousetrap. i nearly played wwtbam for an easy win but taste prevailed.

it is disproportionately easy in there maybe because the machine is between three AWPs and gets filled up by sharks (people are always playing those bandits). shouldn't complain but nearby pubs are nowhere near as easy.

davejon
01-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Best of luck to all in search of the 2211 landmark.

Well as predicted the upping of the stakes has been well and truely matched and smashed.

NEW WORLD RECORD - 2280, Retro Bar just off the Strand

Smashed it on my lunch hour today, won a nice £8

Happy hunting guys!!!!
:lol:

Istenem
01-03-2006, 01:19 PM
well done.
not that it matters but you realise that it is a gay bar don't you?
hope you didn't offer to push anybody's stool in.

davejon
01-03-2006, 02:31 PM
well done.
not that it matters but you realise that it is a gay bar don't you?
hope you didn't offer to push anybody's stool in.

I didn't actually but I was wondering why the bar man kept asking me if I wanted any crisps or anything else to nibble on......

It's all starting to make sense now :shock:

Ernest W. Quality
01-03-2006, 03:16 PM
By request website now has extra lists with just the top score of each team.

Nice score DJ, may have to deduct a few points for getting it in a gay bar though....
What was the customary big word you got?

davejon
01-03-2006, 03:34 PM
No massive words had 4 zs and 3 q's on the board with them I got:

Fuzz
Quintets
Equations
Quails
Jazziest

But managed also to get 100 point words

Billows
Randiest

I've forgotten the rest my heart was racing I'd hit £2 on 1700 and had an L shape in the bottom corner with 6 letter along and 2 up at the end

KOBEFEN

And I was deciding what I should do, money or go for it, I wasn't even thinking about the score I was thinking can I get to £3 which was on 1750. So I shuffled with 11 seconds left and it came out

bottom BOFEEK then N above the K had a mild panic session thinking I can't get KEEN,but then a moment of clarity for FEE and BONK

It was purely the collection of so many words that were 6 and 7 letters, I don't even think I used a 4 letter word until there was only a fifth of the grid left, that meant the score was so high. Either way I'm not complaining, just means we all have to up our targets again :D

Istenem
01-03-2006, 03:44 PM
you could have taken KNEE then FOB but that is splitting hairs cos you got it out anyway. bravo.
n.b. amongst the furore of a new WR my quip about stools didn't get nearly the exposure it deserves. :(

fotherz
04-03-2006, 05:21 PM
Can I ask how much you won on that, when Jon and I cleared the 2106 score at the Court we won 6, were only a few points from the £8 and could see the £10 aswell?

2 quid. :cry:

05-03-2006, 02:58 PM
REMINDER

DaveJon - stop hiding away in your ferrety boltholes and settle on a two machine pub and convenient weekend time for the ass-whipping that Ernest, Fotherz and I are ever-ready to hand out to you.

Judging by the state of the handful of scoreboards you have stained, your high scores only occur by way of statistical inevitability, given the 1000s of games you appear to play every week.

In comparison, we slap down 1800+s almost at will (I'm now clearing at 40%ish solo), regularly topping your lesser boards on first attempt.

I thus predict that, given equal time in a head-to-head challenge match, we will easily secure a decisive victory. :twisted:

Ready to prove us wrong, or were the earlier preliminaries to a match just smoke-and-mirrors?

(Or are you unwilling to meet up because your 'methods' would not stand up to scrutiny :wink:)

tka
05-03-2006, 10:35 PM
A new score for EWQ...

INCOMPETENTS, GEOFF TKA. Red Lion Greenford.

It was weird though, It was 1400ish for £1 most of the time but after a few games it offered 500 for £1 and not the normal 1850 from £2 afterwards.
But £2 was at 650, £3 at 750, £4 at 900... So I took £8 at 1200

Also it was a new machine since I last played here. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I had a few pints and England's 12/21 was there. Nice bloke too.

davejon
06-03-2006, 01:23 PM
REMINDER

In comparison, we slap down 1800+s almost at will (I'm now clearing at 40%ish solo), regularly topping your lesser boards on first attempt.

Once you have a 2280 score I think we can talk about solo clearances..... :D

Anyhow, you'll need to speak to Jon rather than me, I was unable to get a hold of him virtually all weekend and was only allowed to play for a couple of hours yesterday during the footy :?:

06-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Once you have a 2280 score I think we can talk about solo clearances..... :D

So was that a solo score, then?

Anyhow, you'll need to speak to Jon rather than me, I was unable to get a hold of him virtually all weekend and was only allowed to play for a couple of hours yesterday during the footy :?:

Well, unless you send me his email or phone no., the only way I can speak to him is through here.

Of course, I'm willing to take you on Dave in a 1-on-1 if you want it to come down to individual flair. :twisted:

But something tells me that you wouldn't be able to commit to that either. :roll:

More importantly, we (anyone from our team, really) need to see you two playing to make sure you aren't using a solver or suchlike, as we know of players who are. This obviously cuts both ways - for you two to check up on us, as well.

davejon
06-03-2006, 02:03 PM
More importantly, we (anyone from our team, really) need to see you two playing to make sure you aren't using a solver or suchlike, as we know of players who are. This obviously cuts both ways - for you two to check up on us, as well.

Whats a solver?

2280 was a solo effort yes, but tat was a fluke, my previous best solo clearance was an 1881 and I often get daunted as I'm used to Jon flying in there with a flurry of words to begin with.

06-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Whats a solver?

A computer prog that does the work for you.

We try to see ppl play in person now, as we don't want the scoreboards overrun with little robots. :shock:

davejon
06-03-2006, 02:47 PM
How does it work then? Bit confused???

Istenem
06-03-2006, 02:57 PM
i'm not sure any robotic solver could overcome the time constraints
in 2 minutes. someone would need to key in the 117 letters (without making any typos), the machine would need to whirr and clunk for a bit and tell its driver what letters to press to maximise score all in 120seconds±.
add to that obviously fishy behaviour which may arouse suspicion.
in theory i'm sure it is sound but there are some things which humans can do better than machines, imo WU is one of them.

Istenem
10-03-2006, 10:18 AM
playing at the crown on seven dials, it has a fatbox with the collins gem dictionary but BRONXCHEER still whacked out an IMPRESSIONISTIC for 450 and top spot in my long words on goal difference (still two letters short of an acme).

10-03-2006, 11:19 AM
playing at the crown on seven dials, it has a fatbox with the collins gem dictionary but BRONXCHEER still whacked out an IMPRESSIONISTIC for 450 and top spot in my long words on goal difference (still two letters short of an acme).

Quality word

Istenem
10-03-2006, 02:08 PM
thanks VB, i notice from Ernest's website that you have yet to nail a 15 ;)
the board had POST~ scattered to the left but i wasn't going to risk fouling it up on an improbable word like that.

10-03-2006, 03:01 PM
thanks VB, i notice from Ernest's website that you have yet to nail a 15 ;)

Aye, that's true, but I've only recently started going for very long words and I still don't think the long/high words scoreboards are of any real importance when marching on other people's turf.

That said, it would be nice to get a biggie.

Ernest W. Quality
10-03-2006, 08:14 PM
First game today, very first word: VAGINALLY. :shock:

tka
10-03-2006, 10:18 PM
Was it allowed?

Ernest W. Quality
11-03-2006, 01:01 AM
Yep. On the new Itbox dictionary at least. Shamefully I don't think it made the scoreboard in the Cambridge Arms as I've got some good words there already.

fotherz
16-03-2006, 06:04 PM
Some more additions from me this week...

Hogs Head, Farringdon - DRIZZLIER, QUIZZICAL (twice), 1880.

I was also approached by someone calling himself "STEVE W" who was very proud of his 9/10 letter longest word record. I dont think he'd seen a clearance before. :lol:

His "advice" was priceless.

Ernest W. Quality
16-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Yeah, I love it when people stand behind you saying, "take BIN, go on, it's right there!".

WaterGate
17-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Got MANIACAL, 2345 points :D

17-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Got MANIACAL, 2345 points :D

Yer jokin', right?

Location/pic?

Istenem
17-03-2006, 10:21 AM
i've retired again after SUPERIMPOSE (part of a 1834) at the lloyds bar on c x rd.

also Fotherz, i know Steve W, nice enough fella but not that impressive on WU. didn't realise he travelled though. was he alone or avec oiseau?

fotherz
18-03-2006, 05:30 PM
He was alone, and said its not his usual area. I think he said he was a South/East London man. Perhaps he was there for other reasons.

He told me he knew of a journalist who was good on the quizzers... you??

Istenem
20-03-2006, 09:03 AM
He told me he knew of a journalist who was good on the quizzers... you??

i suppose it might be, not sure he knows i'm a hack though. had he said he knew of a handsome, charming, witty and intelligent man who was good on the quizzers that would have been a description i'd have recognised.

anyhow, my latest offerings (all O ABACAXI):
(apologies for going to a pub with a ridiculously long name to throw out Ernest's table (and for excessive parenthesis))
i am the only running footman, berkeley square: FRIZZLERS (a word so unconvincing that it appears on only 174 websites most of which are wordlist sites), COMPARATIVES (much more satisfying but for only half the points)

pub i can't remember it's name, jermyn street: DECOMPOSERS

Demmerz
21-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Wouldn't accept QAT the other night, which I thought it would. Ended up with an abysmal 575 points.

Istenem
21-03-2006, 10:34 AM
hard luck Dz, personally i can't stand QAT but keep at it. afaik the only Q-U word WU allows is QWERTY.

i spent an entire hour playing for just long words yesterday lunchtime.
LOCKSMITHERY is not allowed and i fouled up what would have been a 16 trying to add a prefix. :(

Demmerz
21-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Well I'm not a fan of QAT but I read that it would be accepted and I needed that extra 10 seconds. As it happened, it wasted 5. I looked very daft to boot :oops:

But you can't win them all.

Istenem
22-03-2006, 12:49 PM
i am very pleased to be bottom of the pile in longest words, one day i will get ASSASSINATE to cement my place there. but now for my heroic 17, 18, 19 or 20-letter word which i plan to get this evening. :wink:

Ernest W. Quality
25-03-2006, 07:29 PM
I had TEMPESTUOUSNESS today on a Paragon but denied by the dictionary. Didn't see any Wordcube.

Istenem
27-03-2006, 09:07 AM
a little birdie tells me that you would have been allowed that on the new version. hard lines. :evil:

fotherz
27-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Just a quick reminder...

You guys suck. 2210. 8)

Ernest W. Quality
28-03-2006, 01:23 AM
Just updated the board and noticed that TEMPESTUOUS is actually the least valuable word on the national boards. Get in.

Fotherz - your second best solo score is 1884. Hence complete flukeage.

Istenem
29-03-2006, 08:44 AM
bah.

an update from myself (FIFONE): to add to IMPRESSIONISTIC at the crown, HEADQUARTERS and following VB's lead i got VACATIONERS (and 1824) at the montague pyke. went onwards to the golden lion in soho where the screen was horrible awry; i couldn't get anything but encountered my first ever PAPA who had DOMESTICITY

angie
30-03-2006, 11:27 PM
Seeing as my membership of this forum is about to be deleted, I think it's time I better make an appearance...

I'm angie, half of ANGIE ANDY who the sharper among you will have noticed in the lower echelons of Ernest's high score boards. For those who haven't noticed, our top clearance is 1900, and top word on both fronts is SEQUENTIALLY.

We're having a bit of a sabbatical at the moment due to Easter hols and copious work, but expect a surge of appearances on the national boards come June...we hope. Also, due to moving house among other things, this is not only my first post on these forums, but will be my last for a while.

PS Don't know how often any of you play the 'word up' game on this site, but I moved into P2 on highscores, behind VBob, the other day. Anyone else care to take up the challenge?

PPS Thanks very much to tka for drawing attention to my impending deletion of membership...Andy, if you're reading this, you probably should make a post too.

31-03-2006, 08:31 AM
PS Don't know how often any of you play the 'word up' game on this site, but I moved into P2 on highscores, behind VBob, the other day. Anyone else care to take up the challenge?

Try the 'Word Game' game too!

Fotherz should have a go - tho' I suspect he continues to be 'too chicken' :wink:

PS - you two found Word Cube in Bristol?

Ernest W. Quality
02-04-2006, 10:11 PM
A nice little VB outing to Peterborough this weekend. There were some low-mid clearances already there (1500-1650 range), but hardly any decent length words, so there is/was evidently a hacker in the town somewhere.
No matter, we boned all the machines regardless. Had a couple of half-hearted hacks on WC and WW as well.

Best result of the day was probably getting a new Sum Up record of 3306 (without clearance).

Istenem
03-04-2006, 08:59 AM
was on my courses at the end of last week. completely useless except for some 12s on WU:
in ealing; QUINTESSENCE at o'neill's and TOBACCONISTS at edwards
in finchley; ACQUIESCENCE at 3one7 (the mavellous CHTHONIC doesn't make any scoreoards).

06-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Got my third solo 2000+ today. Slapped down a 2035 on the Colchester Playhouse's already mighty scoreboard. 8)

Ernest W. Quality
10-04-2006, 02:28 PM
Couple of words on Saturday but nothing too brilliant: best score 2080.
MULTIPLICATION 504
ADVERTISEMENTS 322

Istenem
10-04-2006, 02:49 PM
good news, nice 14s Ernest.
i got IMPRESSIONISTS at the pub in jermyn street which has a forgettable name. but couldn't make the obvious extension. yet.

davejon
11-04-2006, 02:08 PM
EXTERMINATIONS in the court, tottenham court road.

Ernest W. Quality
12-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Got QUIZZICALITY again, also INTELLIGENCE, GRIZZLING and BEDAZZLED.