PDA

View Full Version : Quiz machines in film and television

foxy
05-04-2006, 11:02 AM
Just wondering if anyone else is as sad as me in getting excited at seeing a machine on the telly.
Come on be honest.
Anyway a few that spring to mind are the previously referred to Skillcash in the Eastenders caff.It was there seemingly forever and no-one ever played it so it couldn't really have been much of a money-spinner for Ian Beale or whoever.
More excitingly was the weird location of an original Crystal Maze in Brookside for it was to be found in the chippy.Brilliant-no 1/2 pint to buy and your fish supper paid for.
Apparently my mate saw a film 'starring' Les Battersby recently where the denoument of said piece involves the lead character getting out of some financial scrape or other by winning 400 out of a millionaire.That's right, a 20 jackpot millionaire. I was going to get indignant at the very thought of it (I mean think about the hopper!!! etc.) but the more I think about it the more I want to see this film.Les Battersby tanning a quiz machine-aye right!
Any other sightings or is it just me.

QuizMaster
05-04-2006, 11:14 AM
There was a film called 'ID' a few years ago about undercover cops investigating football hooligans. The cops win the hooligans' trust by winning a 10 out of the 'Give Us a Break' in the local.

About half an hour later though, they get the shit kicked out of them...........

Ernest W. Quality
05-04-2006, 11:18 AM
I think the film was called "Bob's Weekend". I remember that because it was on telly when we'd just come back from a weekend bobbing outing. I only saw the last 20 mins or so, but this depressed guy has been learning things from an encyclopaedia because he's bored, and at the end he plays a stand-alone Monopoly quizzer and gets everything right, emptying it of several hundred quid.

Scottish comedy show Chewin the Fat also did a sketch about people playing the machines.

QuizMaster
05-04-2006, 12:28 PM
There was an episode of Coogan's Run a few years back which involved a pair of twins who appeared on 'Ask the Family'. One scene had them playing two Give Us a Breaks side by side and emptying them.

WaterGate
05-04-2006, 02:43 PM
Yeah, it appeared in all the episode titles of Coogan's Run. The episode was called 'Natural Born Quizzers'. Blimey, that's going back a bit mate! :P

foxy
06-04-2006, 01:06 AM
That's a pretty scary bit of info Mr.Quality.
I used to do stuff for a student magazine in Glasgow and one of my star interviews was with a Mr.Kiernan and a Mr.Hemphill a.k.a. Chewin the Fat.
I went round to Ford's house and spent a couple of hours there talking about all sorts of things but mainly about quiz machines(yes I know the interview was MEANT to be about them!).
I thought I'd seen most of their shows(you should check out still game-do you get it down south?) but now I'm wondering where the seeds for this particular sketch were sown.

Istenem
06-04-2006, 08:48 AM
something wrong with you lot.

Cardinal Sin
06-04-2006, 08:56 AM
I thought I'd seen all the episodes of Chewing the Fat and Still Game, but I don't remember anything about quiz machines or puggies?

... and just to make sure this thread goes completely off-topic, anyone ever seen the stage version of Still Game? It was made a few years ago now, and filmed in The King's Theatre. Try and buy it you can, it's priceless.

Ernest W. Quality
06-04-2006, 12:11 PM
The quizzer sketch was on the radio series, before they got on TV.
The TV series had a short sketch about James Bond (having gambled his money away in one game of roulette) trying to tell someone what to do on the fruit machines.
In Still Game I don't remember anything about quizzers being in it, but there is a fruitie and a quizzie in the Clansman pub so you sometimes see people playing them, but nothing plot related.

What info did you get out of Ford then?

thebigchap
16-06-2006, 12:44 PM
I have a short 10 minute programme about two blokes playing, of all things, "Bar Quest". It was on BBC2 in 1989 presented by Stuart Cosgrove and has the two blokes with hats and dark glasses chatting about their exploits.

Nil Satis
16-06-2006, 01:39 PM
I remember those guys! They always wore hats and shades and from memory one was noticeably taller than the other. They were based somewhere in Yorkshire I believe.

I first saw an article about them in The Independent in about 1990, which I remember as being just about the first public reference I'd seen to quiz machines and how lucrative they could be.

I then met them in a pub in York in about 1991 - they watched me playing an old bingo-based game (the one where you were shown the next few balls that you were going to get - someone might remember the name) and presumably recognised a 'fellow traveller'. I asked them if they were the guys in the paper and they confirmed that it was them.

I don't suppose they are still out there now in quiz land, lurking under one of the pseudonymns on here perhaps...?

QuizMaster
16-06-2006, 02:14 PM
It was 'Eyes Down' you were referring to, and not the shitty Bell Fruit one that appeared on itBox recently

cool
18-06-2006, 11:10 AM
I REMEMBER AN OLD EDITION OF CASUALTY WHERE IT STARTED WITH A QUIZ MACHINE PLAYER BEING WARNED BY A PUBLICAN TO STOP PLAYING THE MACHINE AND LEAVE THE PUB. HE RETURNED LEADING TO THE PUBLICAN THROWING THE CUSTOMER OUT THROUGH A WINDOW OF A PUB (NO IT WASNT OPEN ).THE REST OF THE EPISODE WAS ABOUT RECONSTRUCTING HIM.HE THEN REAPPEARED AS A GUEST STAR ON THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN (I MADE THAT BIT UP ).SEEMS APPROPRIATE THAT I SHOULD REMEMBER THIS!

David Healy
02-07-2006, 08:12 PM
There was a film called 'ID' a few years ago about undercover cops investigating football hooligans. The cops win the hooligans' trust by winning a 10 out of the 'Give Us a Break' in the local.

About half an hour later though, they get the shit kicked out of them...........

That's not quite what happened, but why let the facts get in the way of a good story, eh QuizMaster?

QuizMaster
02-07-2006, 09:35 PM
OK ya got me. I think the plot line involved the main copper (Reece Dinsdale in pre Thief Takers mode) claming he couldn't spell, so this ingratiated him with said football hooligans.

I'd have won 'em the tenner though..................

Think it was edition 25

Nil Satis
17-08-2006, 05:27 PM
Have a look at this little gem. It seems to be an extract from one of those I Love 19** programmes but there's a clip from something else at the end:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/years/1988/toysclip.shtml

Can anyone spot what it is? (the quality's not great admittedly).

It's weird watching the screen shots of Give Us A Break after all this time - it must be 15 years since I've seen those coloured balls and yet it all seems like yesterday...

Topical
20-08-2006, 05:46 PM
Interested to come across these memories which seem very familar: I came here to see what people were saying about a) the couple winning 10,000 from machines across the country and b) the banning in Bournemouth, and spotted what was being said on this thread. I only see the inside of a pub once in a blue moon these days, let alone play machines at all, but I certainly remember the Good Old Days.

I think some of the people mentioned might be me, although my memory of events may not be perfect. Anyway, the story in The Independent: that was definitely me and my oppo (it was in 1989 to be exact, when I was still a student). The journalist was an old friend, who thought we'd make a good feature for him, so we helped him out, but insisted a few details needed to be changed, as I was supposed to be doing my finals and wasn't keen for my tutor to know how much time I was spending in the pub, and not the library.

As regards TV, I think different people are getting mixed together here. As a result of the piece in the paper, we got invited to do a piece for The Six O'Clock Show on LWT. It was a good day out, if slightly peculiar: we got paid a fee, and they picked up the tab for all the food and drink, to go on top of our winnings, of course, but the producer thought it would be good if we went about in disguise - hence the hats and shades, which he'd brought for us. We told him we kept our anonymity by being discreet and blending in with all the ordinary punters, but he wasn't having any of it, and insisted we had to dress up! We spent a day filming in and around Windsor, and got home in time to see ourselves on telly looking a bit ridiculous.

I remember there were other people on different programmes, including one show where the player, whoever it was, spent the whole show standing in the background playing Give Us A Break in a balaclava.

I'm afraid I don't recall a particular meeting in York, but I certainly covered a lot of ground in the late 80s/early 90s, and I hit a lot of places in Yorkshire (though coming from a lot further south). Back at the start, I would have been playing a lot of Barquests; and I remember the big jackpot winning shots for our TV debut were on Ten Quid Grids.

I really started getting about the country once I'd finished uni, and would travel many a mile for a decent Every Second Counts or Inquizitor. Ah, for the days of the unprotected jackpot...

cool
20-08-2006, 07:03 PM
The guys I was talking about were Paddy Spooner and Gareth who came from the Bournemouth area and were featured in The bogsheet , The Daily Star . The photo was taken in the bowling alley Worthing and the cads gave their names as Don and Nick much to the chagrin of their fellow players. Gareth was the barquest player who would stay in a pub for hours to amass his fortune.He later appeared on wwtbam and won 32,000-64,000 I'm informed.At the risk of repeating myself there was a guy who used to tour the country from Manchester in a camper van , who I nicknamed 'The Poacher' as he wore a green wax jacket.Also there was the guy who toured the country by train from Birmingham, someone from Grimsby who toured playing M2,and a couple who toured the country(sometimes with kids in tow)who played the linked wwtbam.

Nil Satis
21-08-2006, 05:44 PM
I'm afraid I don't recall a particular meeting in York, but I certainly covered a lot of ground in the late 80s/early 90s

I think it must have been you I met by the sounds of it - I was a student in York at the time. I'm a pretty anonymous/discreet person so I won't blame you for not remembering me!

Just out of interest, why did you both give up playing the machines (if I'm right in understanding from your message that that is what has happened)?

a couple who toured the country(sometimes with kids in tow)who played the linked wwtbam.

Did anyone on here every make a go of this? I only ever saw it in one place (Milton Keynes) and always had a go but found that you would get to 4 or 5 relatively easily but then real spoilers would kick in. They were taken however from a relatively short list of subjects (Eurovision Song Contest winners, Saint's Days etc.) and I often wondered whether it would be worth really trying to 'learn' those subjects, although it wasn't as simple as just learning the facts, you also had to be able to think on the fly - "Who won the Eurovision Song Contest 23 years before Bucks Fizz?", "Which of these Saint's Days comes latest in the year?" and so on.

Topical
21-08-2006, 06:54 PM
Sorry, I explained that badly, what I meant was that I did meet people who identified me (usually becuase they had their eye on the machine too) and I remember the encounters happening, but not which was which. Not trying to suggest you were utterly unmemorable :)

I started playing the machines just locally to top up my student grant (that's showing my age), and when I didn't have a job lined up straight after uni, I played pretty much full time for a few years, and covered a lot of the country. Obviously it was much easier in those days to make proper money if you learned the right machines and were prepared to put the hours in tracking them down.

However, I thought I could see the proverbial writing on the wall when the first generation of touchscreen games came in. I can actually pinpoint it to one session, in a pub in Coventry, playing Cluedo for several boring hours and realising that machines had changed, and when they didn't want to pay out, suddenly you couldn't force them to. So I started looking for a proper job.

That was the complete opposite of the moment I first realised that it didn't matter that you had to knock out all 49 triangles in Stage Two of Every Second Counts if you could earn 62 seconds in Stage One; or it didn't matter if Ten Quid Grid wasn't giving you any free arrows, or the trail on Inquizitor was the entire width of the screen.

Funnily enough, a few years later I was a licensee, and had a quiz machine in my pub which never showed a profit (not for the machine company anyway) and I may have been the only landlord likely to buy you a drink rather than bar you if you won a jackpot on it...

cool
21-08-2006, 11:22 PM
coincidentally enough I did bump into a licensee in The Beefeater at Ascot last year who had come down from up north for a training course I believe and he used to do a tour of pubs local to his and demolish the quiz machine.

Nil Satis
09-10-2007, 03:26 PM
I think the film was called "Bob's Weekend". I remember that because it was on telly when we'd just come back from a weekend bobbing outing. I only saw the last 20 mins or so, but this depressed guy has been learning things from an encyclopaedia because he's bored, and at the end he plays a stand-alone Monopoly quizzer and gets everything right, emptying it of several hundred quid.

This was on again last night! It starred Bruce Jones (aka Les Battersby) and did indeed show him winning several jackpots on a standalone Monopoly game somewhere in Blackpool. The visuals were authentic but they beefed up the sounds and they also made it look like you only needed to answer about 4 questions to win each Jackpot. Still, it brought back some happy (if slightly surreal) memories!

grecian
09-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Fantastic old thread NS - thanks for digging it up!

DildoDez
09-10-2007, 04:15 PM
I thought I'd seen all the episodes of Chewing the Fat and Still Game, but I don't remember anything about quiz machines or puggies?

There's one scene in a golf club, where a rich geezer is taking the mick out of the others by trying to insert a 100 note into the coin mech and saying "ooh look, the puggy doesnae want [insert rich guy's name]'s small change]. think it was a new year special.

cool
09-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Bruce Jones was I believe released from his contract from Coronation St for releasing plot info, upsetting people and being an allround pisshead if media reports are to believed. Since his demise , since he has time on his hands and since he likes getting hammered perhaps he will hammer some quiz machines in the future for real.

dm
10-10-2007, 03:58 AM
In an earlier series of Peep Show Super Hans won the JP on some quiz machine after answering about 3 questions.

dangerous
29-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Anyone see Rebus on friday? Rebus' informant was playing Cops and Robbers, badly.

K_Oranj
22-07-2009, 05:32 AM
About time for a post in this one I feel.

Saw this clip on Brooker last night - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsA7JHf31II&feature=related

I fought 'e was going to 'ave a go (on AYSTA).

And during my search for that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe1KXy0j0Lg&feature=related

What's that octagonal cabinet glimpsed at 1.30? A Megatouch edition?

BigEd
22-07-2009, 07:23 AM
About time for a post in this one I feel.

Saw this clip on Brooker last night - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsA7JHf31II&feature=related

I fought 'e was going to 'ave a go (on AYSTA).

And during my search for that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe1KXy0j0Lg&feature=related

What's that octagonal cabinet glimpsed at 1.30? A Megatouch edition?

Answer: A Sound Leisure Jukebox.

tonkarentino
22-07-2009, 07:44 AM
I'm afraid I don't recall a particular meeting in York, but I certainly covered a lot of ground in the late 80s/early 90s

I think it must have been you I met by the sounds of it - I was a student in York at the time. I'm a pretty anonymous/discreet person so I won't blame you for not remembering me!

Just out of interest, why did you both give up playing the machines (if I'm right in understanding from your message that that is what has happened)?

a couple who toured the country(sometimes with kids in tow)who played the linked wwtbam.

Did anyone on here every make a go of this? I only ever saw it in one place (Milton Keynes) and always had a go but found that you would get to 4 or 5 relatively easily but then real spoilers would kick in. They were taken however from a relatively short list of subjects (Eurovision Song Contest winners, Saint's Days etc.) and I often wondered whether it would be worth really trying to 'learn' those subjects, although it wasn't as simple as just learning the facts, you also had to be able to think on the fly - "Who won the Eurovision Song Contest 23 years before Bucks Fizz?", "Which of these Saint's Days comes latest in the year?" and so on.

Those linked Millionaires were fantastic for a short while. The first one I played was in Blackpool and dropped a grand. This was not I hasten to add due to some great feat of quiz playing but the machine literally gave up. The 1,000,000 question was "Which of these men was a football manager?
A. Barry Roast
B. Barry Saute
C. Barry Fry
D. Barry Boiled

That was during the illuminations. I never saw another one until the following Easter when on a visit to Skeg, there were SEVEN in different arcades. Contrary to popular belief initially there were no spoiler questions which meant that for a time we had them taped. Over a 6 week period they gave us about 3000.00. At this point the company introduced the spoiler questions you talk of and they became more difficult. Most of the ones in Skegness went but they were present in a lot of bowling alleys around the country (although I never saw one in a pub.) Initially they filled up fast because everyone wanted a chance at winning big money. When the spoiler questions came in they altered the calibration of how much of your stake went to boosting up the main prize. This had the result that it took a lot longer to get into the high figures. The protection came because of the spoilers.
What was still present was the "machine surrender" feature. Experience told us that this kicked in somewhere around the 970.00 mark. So, all we used to do was wait for them to hit that figure and then blitz them until one of the pair of us got the easy run. Obviously it didn't work every time and on occasion we travelled miles to get to a machine and find it was on 50.00. We had spotters who would tell us when they were getting up towards the mark and it was really successful (surprisingly) for the best part of a year. Then they went. The last I can remember was in a bowl in Edinburgh.
Thanks for reminding me....

cool
22-07-2009, 08:54 AM
did you ever come across the family that toured the country (man/woman 2 children) -they appeared in the south playing them during the school holidays ,so I suspected he was a teacher.Never saw them but more than one bowling alley reported them to me.The machines were indeed calibrated independently with machines going up between 5p to 30p put in for every pound.I never bothered to tour the country as I incorporated the 1000 machines into my normal quiz playing treating them as normal machines as (a) they were easy to balls up (b) if somebody won recently they were not worth playing. A friend of mine won over 1200 because the machine crashed through the 1000 barrier and kept going.

tonkarentino
22-07-2009, 12:04 PM
did you ever come across the family that toured the country (man/woman 2 children) -they appeared in the south playing them during the school holidays ,so I suspected he was a teacher.Never saw them but more than one bowling alley reported them to me.The machines were indeed calibrated independently with machines going up between 5p to 30p put in for every pound.I never bothered to tour the country as I incorporated the 1000 machines into my normal quiz playing treating them as normal machines as (a) they were easy to balls up (b) if somebody won recently they were not worth playing. A friend of mine won over 1200 because the machine crashed through the 1000 barrier and kept going.

No I can't say I did. We didn't travel much south because we had about 2 dozen up in Yorkshire/Lancashire/ Durham/Northumberland. If we lost out it was to a lucky punter who just happened to get the run of questions. It happened to me on 980 in a Skegness arcade. It was the bloke next to me. The arcade attendants who knew the score were p*****g themselves laughing. Nothing you could do apart from write it off obviously. Bridlington was another good place with four in arcades. Got barred off two but used to take a different person who gave his name and address for the cheque to come to.

tonkarentino
22-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Anyway a few that spring to mind are the previously referred to Skillcash in the Eastenders caff.It was there seemingly forever and no-one ever played it so it couldn't really have been much of a money-spinner for Ian Beale or whoever.

From memory it didn't have the Skillcash sound effects. Think it had barquest. But of course only saddos like me would have noticed.

cp999
22-07-2009, 01:11 PM

From memory it didn't have the Skillcash sound effects. Think it had barquest. But of course only saddos like me would have noticed.

Oh dear ;)

I didn't know there was a Pac Man in Kathy's. They used to have a Skill Cash though.

Yes, and I've a funny feeling it used to make most un-Skill Cashly noises, too.

tonkarentino
22-07-2009, 02:26 PM

Oh dear ;)

I didn't know there was a Pac Man in Kathy's. They used to have a Skill Cash though.

Yes, and I've a funny feeling it used to make most un-Skill Cashly noises, too.

OMG. Absolutely pmsl. We are a sad bunch of individuals...... :oops:

ming
22-07-2009, 03:47 PM
can anyone find the documentary on the net somewhere, i have tried but did not get any success

Istenem
22-07-2009, 03:56 PM
agreed that it would be interesting to see that. in the meantime here is a dozy american on an amateurish magazine program (yuck) heroically missing the point about QM's fave game:

<object width="580" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xQXJFabswuQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xQXJFabswuQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="580" height="360"></embed></object>

QuizMaster
22-07-2009, 05:38 PM
That Skill Cash machine turned up in the Crown in Men Behaving Badly after it left Beale's Cafe.

cp999
22-07-2009, 06:41 PM
There's a Skillcash briefly visible in Trainspotting. It was running the alternative Adders and Ladders-based question set. :wink: :lol:

ggdr
23-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Were it not for a late change of script, I may well have been credited as Quiz Machine Consultant in an episode of Skins.

Nil Satis
20-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Man, I love uncovering these old threads that are like priceless old relics... :wink:

A slightly off-topic addition to the list here is that a quiz machine is featured quite extensively in the book I am currently reading - 'The Information' by Martin Amis. The book was written/set in the mid-90s and the machine in question is an old standalone with buttons which Amis calls 'Wise Money' (was that a real game, can any of our SWP archivists recall?). The main character is a failed author who is known in his local sports centre as the man who can play the quiz machine, which he does so in the chapter I have just read, although he fails to win the JP due to his lack of knowledge of "some dead comic's catchphrase" - so he's clearly an amateur!

Another question arising from this thread - whatever happened to foxy, formerly of this parish?

quizard
20-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Wize Move was one of the later Barcrest money dispensers.

QuizMaster
20-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Ahh Wize Move, paid for many a fridge and television.

Aladdin's Cave was even better, since you could confuse the move logic to such an extent that when it tried to stop you it actually worked for you.

Captain.Tattybojangles
20-12-2011, 06:16 PM

Yeah I've seen that one. The cop manages to get in on the gang, then a Shadwell Town question comes up. He had to feign that he couldn't read to get past it!

Scott
20-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Great film, John And Trev :)

tonkarentino
20-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Ahh Wize Move, paid for many a fridge and television.

Aladdin's Cave was even better, since you could confuse the move logic to such an extent that when it tried to stop you it actually worked for you.

Indeed it did! It was notable for it's lack of variety of subject. I just learned the Pop Music questions and made a lot of cash. I paid 20.00 for a print out of the question base and just sat down with it over a few days.

The better one who's name escapes me for the minute was the one where you had to go through a trail and the prize could be anything from 2.00 to 20.00. Unfortunately there were two lads from Hull who laid waste to the whole of the North East. Like a lot of other machines it didn't have a massive question bank but it was extremely boring trying to take it out in 2.00 wins.
There is a story that the Hull lads were clocked emptying one in Norfolk and the police were called after they'd left. When they caught up with them in Norwich the lads came out of a pub to be faced by armed police and told to lay face down on the road. After 12 hours questioning they were only let off when the detectives accompanied them to a pub and watched them empty one in double quick time. They were released and given a chitty to present to any landlord that got annoyed saying basically there was no point in reporting it to the police.
Cannot swear to the authenticity but I heard it from my late brother-in-law who ran into them from time to time.
There were a few decent machines about at the time of the Aladdin's Cave. I used to love the Guinness one where you had to get four harps to go for the big money.

cp999
20-12-2011, 11:07 PM

A very fondly remembered machine. So quick to do as well. Risk was its slower brother (how many questions was it for the conquer the world 20?)

The better one whose name escapes me for the minute was the one where you had to go through a trail and the prize could be anything from 2.00 to 20.00. Unfortunately there were two lads from Hull who laid waste to the whole of the North East. Like a lot of other machines it didn't have a massive question bank but it was extremely boring trying to take it out in 2.00 wins.

Turnover?

I used to love the Guinness one where you had to get four harps to go for the big money.

They were fun, but couldn't they just stop you getting the fourth harp? There was an interesting bug on play whereby if it was giving skillstops you could get a 30 win on a 20 jp machine (set it up right and you got bonus letters and then the 20 prize up).

cool
20-12-2011, 11:53 PM
i got followed by a police car after winning on a quiz machine in a pub adjacent to safeway in cove nr farnborough.i was followed for a couple of miles before doing an extreme almost one hundred and eighty degree turn into the ship car park farnborough.the police blocked me in and with lights flashing and astonished locals gawping from the pub windows proceeded to question me about my ability to empty a quiz machine using a system and not knowing any of the answers.i pointed to my collection of books in the back of the car that saved me a trip to the police station.

mouse75
21-12-2011, 12:18 AM
On SKY recently - in their series Mount Pleasant - someone wins 50 on "You've won 50" (not seen any of those......)..... after having the time to phone his friend on the final question.

If they are going to show quiz machines / fruit machines being played a bit more realism wouldn't go amiss.

tonkarentino
21-12-2011, 05:51 AM
Turnover it is!!

I once sat down to write all the names of the quiz machines that have been on general release since 1985 and ran out of memory at 80 something...

cool
21-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Yhw fifty pounds existed for a couple of months before it was adapted to twenty

grecian
21-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Yhw fifty pounds existed for a couple of months before it was adapted to twenty

I saw one quite recently in central London although sadly it looked very spent.

Anyone prepared to divulge how Aladdin's Cave was easily winnable? I was only 18 and new to SWPs at the time...

QuizMaster
21-12-2011, 01:48 PM
I can't quite remember the logic but it was something to do with leaving gems on the edges of the grid which it couldn't then bug off. There was an even quicker way that a pal of mine worked out but he could never quite explain it to me in a way that made sense (although I don't think he was trying that hard)

QuizMaster
21-12-2011, 01:51 PM
The quickest SWP I ever emptied was called MI: Spy which involved answering questions to get to an endgame which asked players to 'crack' a 6 digit code in 30 seconds or something. There was a massive flaw in it in that you could simply enter 6 '1's and it would tell you which ones were right, so you just then entered 6 '2's etc.

The question bank was unbelievably small. It started repeating itself after about 3 hours' constant play.

Nil Satis
21-12-2011, 03:24 PM
MI: Spy

I'd forgotten about that one! It was on the Gamesnets when they had the old 'squat' design with the large sloping screen, around the same time as Family Fortunes and The Royle Family. I only saw it a couple of times before it got taken off, but as you say it didn't take long to spot the obvious flaw in the gameplay. The game itself was quite enjoyable too as I recall.

My quickest ever GP was actually only about a month ago - on the 'standard' Ind:e Cluedo game (rather than the most recent update with all the bells and whistles) it 'gave' me the JP on the first room, no more than about three questions in. As I have only ever won the JP on that one on one other occasion, I don't expect to see this happen again very soon...

tonkarentino
21-12-2011, 07:34 PM
The quickest SWP I ever emptied was called MI: Spy which involved answering questions to get to an endgame which asked players to 'crack' a 6 digit code in 30 seconds or something. There was a massive flaw in it in that you could simply enter 6 '1's and it would tell you which ones were right, so you just then entered 6 '2's etc.

The question bank was unbelievably small. It started repeating itself after about 3 hours' constant play.

PMSL...Only ever found two of those and my mate quickly twigged on to the six ones etc. etc.

cp999
21-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Anyone prepared to divulge how Aladdin's Cave was easily winnable? I was only 18 and new to SWPs at the time...

Bear in mind it would offer you options of between 1 to 4 moves up/down and 1 to 4 moves left/right e.g. 2 up, 3 down, 1 left and 4 right, (with the exception that you couldn't move off the grid edges except through the corners). Rather a la Wize Move really. It would always let you get one away from completing each set of gems, so you had to take the gems in an order which ensured that you were left with four different gem types on consecutive rows or columns (sometimes I thought the hardest aspect of the game was setting up the gems!) Then it would make it "difficult" for you to get the minimum prize by making only offering moves of 1 in each direction (i.e. maximising the number of questions required to get to the gem). That meant that you could guarantee to get the last jackpot gem instead.

messiah
22-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Yeah I've seen that one. The cop manages to get in on the gang, then a Shadwell Town question comes up. He had to feign that he couldn't read to get past it!

It wasn't a Shadwell Town was it? John was actually brought up supporting them so he knew the lot anyway.

Anyone got it on DVD? I have the VHS somewhere but obv have nothing to play it on now.

Properpro
22-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Twenty minutes to empty Aladdin's Cave, maybe twice that for Risk. Same question bank, same failing with the programming used for the 'blockers'.

Happy days!!!!!!

cp999
22-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Twenty minutes to empty Aladdin's Cave, maybe twice that for Risk. Same question bank, same failing with the programming used for the 'blockers'.

Happy days!!!!!!

Indeed: I'm glad I never had anyone watching me when the blockers came up; I wouldn't have fancied explaining that! (And if I'd told them the truth, they wouldn't have believed it anyway.)

Did you ever get this bug on Risk? I once (never again) made the mistake of leaving a ? country till right at the end. All the other countries were prize countries and the ? gave bonus country. As bonus country landing on prize was evidently blocked, it sat there crashed in some sort of infinite loop.

explayer
22-12-2011, 07:24 PM
re : I.D , messiah is right - i have it on DVD and it is Trev who exposes his complete lack of football knowledge by not knowing that Shadwell's best ever player is black - John pretends he cannot read the ' Pot Black ' quizzer as a cover , however the question is about Coronation Street not football.

David Healy
22-12-2011, 09:57 PM
re : I.D , messiah is right - i have it on DVD and it is Trev who exposes his complete lack of football knowledge by not knowing that Shadwell's best ever player is black - John pretends he cannot read the ' Pot Black ' quizzer as a cover , however the question is about Coronation Street not football.

I'm fairly sure the question was what number Coronation Street did the Ogden's live at (no 13). Haven't seen it that often since it was at the cinema, maybe once or twice, so I could be wrong (but not as wrong as some people on here!). I seem to have a good memory to pick up this sort of useless information. If only I could use this ability to my benefit......

Not sure where your reference to 'Pot Black' has come from - was this in the script? It was most definately a GUAB.

explayer
23-12-2011, 09:23 AM
"Not sure where your reference to 'Pot Black' has come from - was this in the script? It was most definately a GUAB."

You are right of course - snooker on the brain.

cool
24-12-2011, 07:14 PM
cue old favourite.Casualty episode shown late 80's man thrown through pub window after emptying quiz machine.

explayer
02-01-2012, 05:37 PM
' Ten Quid Grid ' on Minder this week (ITV4) , giving a wrong answer when being demonstrated.

cp999
02-01-2012, 10:22 PM
There was an episode of The Bill where Leslie Phillips played a slightly scatty professor type who got hassle after having done a machine (iirc a Wize Move).

cp999
10-01-2012, 09:53 AM
' Ten Quid Grid ' on Minder this week (ITV4) , giving a wrong answer when being demonstrated.

A Turnover last night!

explayer
10-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Haha , knew someone would post about that! One question for 20 too , and did he put 10p in? Mind you later on there was a pub quiz with a prize of 1,500 in readies , in a suitcase!

cp999
10-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Haha , knew someone would post about that! One question for 20 too , and did he put 10p in? Mind you later on there was a pub quiz with a prize of 1,500 in readies , in a suitcase!

Not sure what coin he put in, but the green start button was flashing before he put it in!

exactly
11-01-2012, 08:11 AM
Theres an inde or open in the background of the pub in the first episode of Public Enemies (on bbc iplayer). Anna Friel's in it if that's any help. Pub is rough as fuck and no one is playing the machine (shocker).

David Healy
22-12-2013, 04:50 AM
Bizarrely, Kick Ass 2 features a Paragon (switched off) about 46 minutes in. There is a handwritten note attached to it that I couldn't read, but don't think it was an 'Out of Order' notice.

I assume the bar it was in is meant to be located in New York.

paragoon
04-01-2014, 06:48 PM
Bizarrely, Kick Ass 2 features a Paragon (switched off) about 46 minutes in. There is a handwritten note attached to it that I couldn't read, but don't think it was an 'Out of Order' notice.

I assume the bar it was in is meant to be located in New York.
Do they have them in New York? Might pop over

bubbles
04-01-2014, 11:25 PM
fuck new york. try saudi arabia. grand a credit fruits and quizzers!