PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the West End of Glasgow today?

Vidmar
23-08-2006, 02:29 PM
I had to wait 10 minutes to get on my favoured machine today! Hmph!

As far as I could tell this young chap was in the pub on his own, and left as soon as his money ran out. I know it's a long shot but there seem to be a few of us Glaswegians on this board. Dark hair, black top, blue jeans and a trendy record bag.

Anyways, I nipped on after him and came away with 6 from PTT, and a 2 and a 6 from lovely Noel. The 6 was after a target of 48,000, the highest I have ever managed. I am very pleased with myself.

Gamesnets are the only machines worth playing these days, I'd rather throw my money at a tramp than waste it in a SHITBox.

Cardinal Sin
23-08-2006, 02:50 PM
You should have asked him if he was a "fruitchatter".

You'd have probably got a punch in the puss for your troubles. Couldn't we rename this board something more manly???

angie
23-08-2006, 02:56 PM
It wasn't me, though I am Glasgow-based for the forseeable future (anyway I wouldn't spend a whole 10 mins on a machine without playing WU, though recently I've been quite regularly winning ~3 on DOND when I play it as a warm up).

Ernest W. Quality
23-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Fruitcottager?

Cardinal Sin
23-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Slotfiller?

Ernest W. Quality
23-08-2006, 07:23 PM
Kumquatconfabulator?

QuizMaster
23-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Wordupmeself?

cool
23-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Slitfiller?

microhead
23-08-2006, 09:35 PM
I had to wait 10 minutes to get on my favoured machine today! Hmph!

As far as I could tell this young chap was in the pub on his own, and left as soon as his money ran out. I know it's a long shot but there seem to be a few of us Glaswegians on this board. Dark hair, black top, blue jeans and a trendy record bag.

Anyways, I nipped on after him and came away with 6 from PTT, and a 2 and a 6 from lovely Noel. The 6 was after a target of 48,000, the highest I have ever managed. I am very pleased with myself.

Gamesnets are the only machines worth playing these days, I'd rather throw my money at a tramp than waste it in a SHITBox.

not me I'm afraid.

were you in the ex hogshead in woodlands by any chance?

foxy
23-08-2006, 10:23 PM
wasn't me.
i had nightmare today- lost 6 in aforementioned hogshead.then lost 7 in wetherspoons on sauchie and had to leave.even though dond was clearly ready to go!!
incidentally a lady played monkey business on the other machine and clearly knew what she was doing- that's not you angie is it?

angie
24-08-2006, 12:28 AM
No, angie is only a screenname, I am, infact, a guy. I've been assuming all the regulars round here are too but come to think of it, for most people on here, it's not actually clear if they're male or female...any ladies out there?

Also, it sounds like some of you Glasgow quizzers are frequenting machines I've visited in the past, I'm sure a crossing of the paths is imminent somewhere. There always seem to be some keen quizzers in Esquire House on Gt. Western Rd. whenever I've been in in the last couple of months, could that be anyone on here?

Vidmar
24-08-2006, 10:54 AM
So I guess that ex-Hogshead (now The Primary) is the only Gamesnet in the West End? I genuinely can only think of one reason to play ITBox, that being ITBox Soccer, and even then I've been up to 25,000 points with not a pound in sight.

The Spoons on Sauchiehall St is the worst in Glasgow. I'm 95% sure it's set to no payout, if that is possible.

QuizMaster
24-08-2006, 11:46 AM
Hmmm. My view would be that since half the posters on here seem to go the same 3 pubs in Glasgow, that that is why none of the machines ever want to pay out.

It's like playing the Gamebox down at Euston Station. Every pro has a look when he gets off the train and wonders why it's always in a toss mood.

Cardinal Sin
24-08-2006, 12:28 PM
So how many of us are in or around Glasgow?

By my reckoning its,

Foxy
Vidmar
Microhead
Angie
Cardinal R
Grecian?

Anybody else?

Mattb
24-08-2006, 12:30 PM
It makes you wonder doesn't it :P

Quiz hotspot of the UK, Glasgow! Is there anything decent in Cumbernauld? I saw it got voted one of the worst places in the UK not so long ago...must br a reason for it!

Matt

grecian
24-08-2006, 12:49 PM

By my reckoning its,

Foxy
Vidmar
Microhead
Angie
Cardinal R
Grecian?

Anybody else?

Not me I'm afraid - I'm London-based and 95% of my machining is down in London. Dare I say it, I've never even been to Scotland although hope to remedy this soon.

Drpepper
24-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Can we just call it "STEIN".

I don't care that it means stone in german, it just sounds so manly to shout out.

Cardinal Sin
24-08-2006, 12:58 PM

By my reckoning its,

Foxy
Vidmar
Microhead
Angie
Cardinal R
Grecian?

Anybody else?

Not me I'm afraid - I'm London-based and 95% of my machining is down in London. Dare I say it, I've never even been to Scotland although hope to remedy this soon.

Ah, my apologies. If you do head up to Scotland, I'd counsel against going to Sauciehall St... I was playing in the Wetherspoons too the other night, and got absolutely skanked by a whore of a game of DonD. Poor pickings all round.

grecian
24-08-2006, 01:03 PM
It's like playing the Gamebox down at Euston Station. Every pro has a look when he gets off the train and wonders why it's always in a toss mood.

Am sure this analysis is right. Generally machines which are very obviously on the beaten track are always going to be well-played. The Wetherspoons at Farringdon station is a good example - consistently one of the tightest ItBoxes I've ever played. Suspect a number of quality players must keep it very well-played.

Istenem
24-08-2006, 01:47 PM
do any of you glasgow lot know each other irl?

you must recognise each other as fellow SWP players from the city even if you don't know which face is which user name.
Grecian and i have probably crossed tracks before too possiby QM as well.

i suspect that the new crop of games on non-itboxes could be a knell. and i'm beginning to notice a lot more paragons since last year. wether this is because they are cheaper to site, make more profit, have more throughput or anything else who knows.

angie
24-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Well I've only been back in Glasgow for about a month after 4 years at uni, and I tend only to go on the machine if I'm out in the pub anyway or waiting for a train or something. Winning money on the quiz games is also not my main aim - I'd exchange that for some more appearances on the WU national high score boards. So in these respects I guess I probably don't really match the profile of your typical Glasgow quizzer.

Cardinal Sin
24-08-2006, 02:20 PM
I think all the Glasgow-based players should put their photo up so we can recognise each other when we're in the pub playing the machines.

I'll go first...

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3529/thegeekuc6.jpg

Istenem
24-08-2006, 02:22 PM
wether

something else i was thinking about is if the spoonses signed a contract with gamesnet or paragon there would be a good reason to go into those ghastly places.
also Angie, i play in the same way as you; i get much more pleasure from a good word/intersting factoid than winning 1 or 2, look out for my QUICKLIME coming soon to a damtp near you soon

microhead
24-08-2006, 07:08 PM
Is there anything decent in Cumbernauld? I saw it got voted one of the worst places in the UK not so long ago...must br a reason for it!

Matt

it's a total shit tip. You can probably find pictures of the hideous/ridiculous town centre online somewhere.

microhead
24-08-2006, 07:10 PM
Hmmm. My view would be that since half the posters on here seem to go the same 3 pubs in Glasgow, that that is why none of the machines ever want to pay out.

that's probably true, maybe we should have a rota :lol:

microhead
24-08-2006, 07:22 PM
So I guess that ex-Hogshead (now The Primary) is the only Gamesnet in the West End?

I think there's a Gamesnet in the Lock pub on the canal i.e. on the other side of Safeway from Esquire Wetherspoon.

echoes
25-08-2006, 06:19 PM

By my reckoning its,

Foxy
Vidmar
Microhead
Angie
Cardinal R
Grecian?

Anybody else?

Me! :D

I'm more of a lurker around here but I'm out and about in Glasgow semi-regularly trying to win some cash off Mr Tidy Beard.

microhead
25-08-2006, 06:42 PM
wether

something else i was thinking about is if the spoonses signed a contract with gamesnet or paragon there would be a good reason to go into those ghastly places.
also Angie, i play in the same way as you; i get much more pleasure from a good word/intersting factoid than winning 1 or 2, look out for my QUICKLIME coming soon to a damtp near you soon

I prefer itboxes. No doubt most people do because Barras, Yates, Chicago Rock Cafe, Toby Carvery's etc. all have contracts with Itbox.

foxy
27-08-2006, 11:33 AM
I was thinking about the ideal way for all the Glaswegians out there to meet up(the cardinal's excellent photo idea not withstanding) and I've come up with 2.
Firstly - old-skool name badges.Pretty straightforward but surely effective.Obviously they would need to be prominently positioned though on further reflection I'm not sure how the general public are going to take to my personal declaration of being ,er,foxy.
This puts plan B to the fore.
What about if we all meet up at,wait for it, A QUIZ!!!!
And would you believe it there just happens to be a quiz a week on monday(Sep 4th)at Bar Gandolfi in the merchant city hosted by none other than a mysterious character named foxy.
I've done a fair few now and generally it's been a pretty good laugh-sort of depends how much free budvar i get in me.prizes are way above average and i hope the standard of q's is fairly well judged.
Well I've gone and done it now-invited every quiz guru in the city-the regulars will be ecstatic but it would be pretty cool if you all turned up.
Not just the Glaswegians!!!

angie
27-08-2006, 05:41 PM
I've been looking around for a decent pub quiz since I got back to Glasgow and yours sounds like it fits the bill foxy. Sadly I'm not able to make it on the 4th but if you have any more in future, post them on here and I'll try to bring a team along.

microhead
28-08-2006, 09:19 AM
Can't make next Monday I'm afraid.

We sometimes go to the quiz in The Primary on Sunday night. You're not the bloke who does that are you?

foxy
28-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Christ no!!!!!
Dr Paul I am not.Mind you he doesn't do half his quizzes these days.

microhead
28-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Christ no!!!!!
Dr Paul I am not.Mind you he doesn't do half his quizzes these days.

heh yeah having done some googling I realise he has a bit of a cult following

microhead
28-08-2006, 09:21 PM
So I guess that ex-Hogshead (now The Primary) is the only Gamesnet in the West End?

I think there's a Gamesnet in the Lock pub on the canal i.e. on the other side of Safeway from Esquire Wetherspoon.

i went there today. It's just a Paragon. :(

angie
28-08-2006, 11:42 PM
I'm fully disillusioned with Dr Paul and the complete lack of knowledge-based questions in his quizzes, hence why I've been looking for something else. Anyone know any other regular non-DP quizzes out there?

echoes
29-08-2006, 09:14 PM
I'm fully disillusioned with Dr Paul and the complete lack of knowledge-based questions in his quizzes, hence why I've been looking for something else. Anyone know any other regular non-DP quizzes out there?

If you're looking for something better than a DP quiz (stop laughing at the back!) then try The Hall. It's still lighthearted and very "no frills" (ie. no wasting time between rounds, no daft bonus rounds) but it asks better questions. I think the prize is around 30 these days. It's still not a great quiz but it's worth a try and a half-decent team should win it fairly comfortably. The Ark one is probably similar.

angie
30-08-2006, 12:26 PM
I think one plus with the DP quizzes (apart from free entry) is that the cash prize can roll over if last question isn't answered correctly, so this week our team came away 175 better off from the Mixing Rooms, which has to be about as big a prize as is on offer in Glasgow, no?

Cardinal Sin
31-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Does DP do the quizzes in the Aragan on Byres Road, and the Hubbards on GWR???

If I recall correctly, the quiz in the Aragon on the Monday was then repeated the following Sunday in the Hubbards. Only ever did it once, but it was the easiest pub quiz I've ever done (cheating bastard that I am).

Mind you, the one of which I speak was another "spend most of the time answering questions to win a bottle of wine or similar, then spend a pound for an illegal lottery at the end involving no general knowledge but an ability to guess which box contains a key" type quiz.

echoes
01-09-2006, 06:53 PM
I think one plus with the DP quizzes (apart from free entry) is that the cash prize can roll over if last question isn't answered correctly, so this week our team came away 175 better off from the Mixing Rooms, which has to be about as big a prize as is on offer in Glasgow, no?

Good stuff. I saw some bloke win around (or over) 400 in DP's quiz in the West End a few weeks ago.

My team won around 280 in a DP quiz a couple of years ago and about 340 in another quiz in the city centre which was sadly axed after that night :( The rollover jackpots are a great pull but if the quiz is poor then I'm still reluctant to sit through it.